Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Grocery Delivery Services

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Grocery Delivery Services

Old 09-05-18, 06:00 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
AFAIK, we don't have grocery delivery yet. I'd probably be a late adopter on that one as I'm used to wandering around the store figuring out what I want to eat. But we have started getting our cat food delivered. I hate going to the pet store for that. Only problem is with canned food and litter the boxes get pretty heavy and we feel guilty that the UPS driver has to lug them from the truck to the door. The upside with cat food delivery is that can sit on the stoop until you get home. With grocery delivery, you would need to arrange to be home when it arrived. (And unrelated bonus of having all the cats is we don't worry about recycling plastic grocery bags - they all get used as litter receptacles.)
Old 09-05-18, 06:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
AFAIK, we don't have grocery delivery yet. I'd probably be a late adopter on that one as I'm used to wandering around the store figuring out what I want to eat. But we have started getting our cat food delivered. I hate going to the pet store for that. Only problem is with canned food and litter the boxes get pretty heavy and we feel guilty that the UPS driver has to lug them from the truck to the door. The upside with cat food delivery is that can sit on the stoop until you get home. With grocery delivery, you would need to arrange to be home when it arrived. (And unrelated bonus of having all the cats is we don't worry about recycling plastic grocery bags - they all get used as litter receptacles.)
Yeah, I got cat stuff delivered when I lived in Winnipeg and had 3 cats.

Our grocery services allows me to pick a 3-hour window on any day of the week, so I pick a time I'm pretty sure we'll be home, and I can also select the option that if we happen to be away, they can leave it on the doorstep. So if we happen to be running a few minutes late for some reason, that's OK.

I'm actually enjoying wandering around the website figuring out what I want to eat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, we've got a good fruit and veg market close to where I work, and the little shop on the corner has a decent fresh fruit and veg section, so (as I mentioned somewhere on page 1), if we want fresh fruit and veg, those are the places to get that stuff ... mostly. I have ordered bags of carrots and potatoes for delivery and that's been fine. The most recent bag of potatoes is really good ... nice flavour to them.

Last edited by Machka; 09-05-18 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 07:15 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Our grocery delivery service is called 'bob yak'. From time to time I've been wondering if there ever will be bicycle grocery delivery services. That would be a nicer workout alternative to uber eats :-)
Old 10-26-18, 07:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by alias5000
Our grocery delivery service is called 'bob yak'. From time to time I've been wondering if there ever will be bicycle grocery delivery services. That would be a nicer workout alternative to uber eats :-)

In our city, there is at least one cargo bike that does deliveries of various sorts. I suppose they could deliver groceries too.
Old 10-26-18, 07:55 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
In our city, there is at least one cargo bike that does deliveries of various sorts. I suppose they could deliver groceries too.
Actually, now you got me researching and we do have a courier service here that offers bike grocery deliveries during normal working hours ;-) I need more spare time (or less daytime job)!
Old 10-27-18, 06:16 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What sort of grocery delivery services do you have in your area?

We have a really good grocery delivery service. We've been impressed.
Coles & Woolies definitely do a roaring trade in delivery orders, Aldi not but there's a local fella (3rd party) that does Costco.

But more interesting is BWS & Dan Murphys delivering... but they might be "next day" usually. Saw a sign in local bottle-o they've got a fleet of scooters & will do deliveries within the hour... handy if we run dry during a party likely be unfit to drive out to restock
Old 10-27-18, 07:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If I can't do it on my bikes I have friends and family to help. I tend to go get dinners and fixins and whatever my baskets hold.
Old 12-21-18, 08:15 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Has everyone forgotten that milk delivery used to be a normal thing? We still had it in Victoria, BC, when I was in university.

I've been using Small Potatoes Urban Delivery (SPUD.ca) for about a month and I LOVE it. I am autistic and had really been struggling with the sensory overload and decision fatigue involved in shopping at local supermarkets. The tinny music and flickering fluorescent lighting, plus lots of other people - ack!! I'd also been getting really stressed lately about locking my bike outside the store; I use double locks, but there have been a LOT of thefts lately in that area.

I thought I would end up spending more on the deliveries, but it would be worth it to have a break from the shopping struggle. However, it turns out I am saving quite a lot of money because I can stick to my list, and take advantage of the weekly specials (which never seem to be in stock in the supermarket, or are displayed somewhere weird and I can't find them). The produce has been *beautiful*.

I've also set up monthly deliveries of toilet paper, cat litter, instant coffee, and cleaning supplies through Amazon.

Now I can use my time and energy to ride my bike to more interesting places!
Old 12-21-18, 08:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Buglady
Has everyone forgotten that milk delivery used to be a normal thing? We still had it in Victoria, BC, when I was in university.

I've been using Small Potatoes Urban Delivery (SPUD.ca) for about a month and I LOVE it. I am autistic and had really been struggling with the sensory overload and decision fatigue involved in shopping at local supermarkets. The tinny music and flickering fluorescent lighting, plus lots of other people - ack!! I'd also been getting really stressed lately about locking my bike outside the store; I use double locks, but there have been a LOT of thefts lately in that area.

I thought I would end up spending more on the deliveries, but it would be worth it to have a break from the shopping struggle. However, it turns out I am saving quite a lot of money because I can stick to my list, and take advantage of the weekly specials (which never seem to be in stock in the supermarket, or are displayed somewhere weird and I can't find them). The produce has been *beautiful*.

I've also set up monthly deliveries of toilet paper, cat litter, instant coffee, and cleaning supplies through Amazon.

Absolutely!!!

We can walk to our little local shop if we need something I've forgotten to order, or I can walk to one of the grocery stores near where I work if I want something on a whim, but for the rest of it I LOVE ordering online and having it delivered.

Rowan is well enough again that we probably could go shopping ... but why???

And you're right about the stock ... the grocery store we used to go to was often out of the stuff we like, but we can get it when we order online.

We order most of our cycling stuff and have it delivered to our door too.
Old 12-22-18, 03:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, what Machka said is a great summary of where and how it all happens for us these days,

The supermarket delivery was something that we had discussed lightly before the workplace accident put me out of action, and Machka's turn-up at the hospital every day for weeks meant she could investigate, try and really like the on-line ordering and delivery system. I was part of the initial discussion because it still required stopping off late afternoon or evening and double or triple handling the stuff in the supermarket, then loading and unloading of the car (or in the old car-free days for me, the bicycle).

The service is not significantly expensive -- frankly about the same these days as we would pay for fuel to visit and get back from the supermarket (again, the smaller shop nearby is in walking distance).

My current fatigue situation means still that I would much prefer riding a bike, or being out in the garden doing stuff, than having to spend about an hour walking around a supermarket.

The guys who do the delivery are friendly and polite and helpful, and have the paperwork that has to be signed on delivery. It takes less than 30 minutes to do the unpacking and cupboard and fridge/freezer work that is needed (yep, the stuff remains in a freezer on the truck if that is needed). We can also hand back the plastic shopping bags the stuff is delivered in and get a small credit because they are recirculated.

On the whole, it is an excellent experience for us here in Australia.
Old 12-23-18, 09:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady

I'm autistic as well and I love going shopping...I get out of the house!
Old 12-25-18, 06:49 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

maybe but there was a time before Amazon where people went to the store to buy just about everything. Today you can get clothes, shoes, movies, TVs and a whole range of things delivered to your door. Not everyone likes it but the home delivery business service is growing.
I have to say that I'm spending more on Amazon each year to avoid long lines. I remember waiting 2 or 3 hours at ToysRUs during the holiday season and wished there was an alternative. I can't even shop at Walmart because the lines move so slowly.
Old 12-26-18, 09:06 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'm autistic as well and I love going shopping...I get out of the house!
I'm really glad you enjoy shopping! I used to enjoy making my lists and finding everything, with the odd interesting new thing. I felt a bit proud when I came home with everything, especially by bike. It was a small version of the pride I felt with home-grown vegetables. I was quite surprised and a bit sad when I recognized how overwhelming a chore shopping had become, as (unfortunately) I'm in a bit of a burnout/regression phase at the moment... Hopefully I'll get that back sometime, after having a break
Old 01-04-19, 05:49 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
If the groceries are delivered by motor vehicle, how does that jive with living car free?
Old 01-04-19, 07:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If the groceries are delivered by motor vehicle, how does that jive with living car free?
Living car light.

No one really lives car free, but we can all do things to reduce the traffic on the roads.

In the grocery delivery situation, one truck delivers to however many houses (let's say 50 houses, it's a popular service here), which means that 50 people did not get into their vehicles to go grocery shopping.