Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drop bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 01:03 PM
Ruthless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drop bars

I'm upgrading my schinn sidewinder mountain bike to gravel/hybrid. Looking at new wheelset and tires. I will be changing the straight bars to drop with flare. Right now it has 21 speed. In time it may end up a 7 speed some where in there. A longer crank personal preference. It's a 26. I need to find out if the 26 can be swapped out for 650b? I know it sounds like a nightmare. I'll send picts when the build is done. The dreaded sidewinder has been sent back to the trainer. It's been replaced by a Bombtrack beyond 1.

Last edited by Ruthless; 06-30-19 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-23-19, 01:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Is this the bike? https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mens-S...Bike/151457759
If it is, this is not a good candidate for conversion to a larger wheel size. The rear rim brake will no longer line up with your rim, not to mention that you may not have clearance for a larger diameter tire, depending of course on which tire width you choose. Whatever you do you will still have a low end bike. The number of parts needed will cost most of what a properly suitable gravel would sell for. If this were a good quality 27.5" wheel mountain bike, the conversion might well be worth it, but if your bike is the one in the link I provided, you might spend a ton of money for less than a zero return
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-23-19, 01:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
More info in your other thread https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...avel-bike.html Still not a good project.
Old 06-23-19, 02:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I wouldn't put money into anything from Wal-Mart, Target, or any other box store. If you want a decent conversion candidate for a cool touring or gravel bike find an old steel 90s mountain bike of high quality and work around that however if you don't know what you are getting into you could end up spending too much for something that isn't in good shape.

Really the best thing to do is get a dedicated bike that is already built up to what you are looking for and something again of quality.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-23-19, 02:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I say go full speed ahead! I'd hang some carbon and titanium parts on it.
Old 06-23-19, 06:51 PM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Up grade

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't put money into anything from Wal-Mart, Target, or any other box store. If you want a decent conversion candidate for a cool touring or gravel bike find an old steel 90s mountain bike of high quality and work around that however if you don't know what you are getting into you could end up spending too much for something that isn't in good shape.

Really the best thing to do is get a dedicated bike that is already built up to what you are looking for and something again of quality.
Point taken. I've only so far bought an acrobat and inner tube. Thanks for the heads up. I was going to get a dedicated gravel bike, and ended up with my fatbike. I love my fatbike. But I'm looking to build up my stable. It's a girl thing, upgraded to a bombtrack beyond 1. Now I have something to look forward to.

Last edited by Ruthless; 06-24-19 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Schwinn sidewinder
Old 06-24-19, 02:12 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Nobody ever upgraded to drop bars.
Old 06-24-19, 06:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Ruthless
Point taken. I've only so far bought an acrobat and inner tube. Thanks for the heads up. I was going to get a dedicated gravel bike, and ended up with my fatbike. I love my fatbike. But I'm looking to build up my stable. It's a girl thing
Inner tube is fine, those aren't super expensive.

I am all for building up a stable but I would rather have one really nice bike then a bunch of cheaper bikes personally. I have been lucky to build a large stable of some rather nice bikes but if I couldn't do that I would probably build a really top notch touring or gravel/adventure bike so I have some versatility. For me and where I live, a fat bike is just not practical but I do love them.
Old 06-24-19, 08:07 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Terrible choice for an upgrade project. Find a decent quality older rigid MTB second hand.

Also, I don't understand the obsession with converting perfectly serviceable 26" wheels to 650B - what are you hoping to accomplish, or, alternatively, what disadvantage do you think 26" wheels have?
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-24-19, 08:42 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Hate to jump on the pile; I know it's the bike you've got but it's a poor choice for an upgrade.

If you want to play with fat tires and drop bars, that's cool, you could probably do it for about a hundred bucks in parts. That's just bars, controls, and a new stem to make it work.
Probably more. There's always a couple of little things that come up, that nickel and dime the cost up.

An 'everything-but-the-paint-job' upgrade like you're looking at will probably go about triple the original cost of the bike, and at the end, you've still got the frame and finishing bits of a $150 department-store bike, and the shortcuts and cost measures that go with it.

Keep in mind that building your own bike, especially if you're buying parts retail, will cost 30%-50% more than a complete bike of similar specs. If you don't have a clear goal for the project, other than 'a gravel bike' or specific knowledge of the components you need; there are lots of rabbit holes to fall in to that take a lot of time, money and frustration to get out of.
Old 06-24-19, 11:42 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I am a fan of updating/replacing/customizing your parts. But I concur that it only makes sense with a good base! I think getting a good used frame and starting from there is a better use of funds!
Old 06-24-19, 08:14 PM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gravel!

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Terrible choice for an upgrade project. Find a decent quality older rigid MTB second hand.

Also, I don't understand the obsession with converting perfectly serviceable 26" wheels to 650B - what are you hoping to accomplish, or, alternatively, what disadvantage do you think 26" wheels have?
Dont worry about adding good money on a bad project.
I ordered a bomber track beyond 1. It cost a lot more. But at least its quality.
Likes For Ruthless:
Old 06-24-19, 08:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I ordered a bomber track beyond 1. It cost a lot more. But at least its quality.
'bomber track' = Bombtrack Beyond 1 MATT METALLIC BLUE 2019 ? Bombtrack
I was puzzling over your buying an acrobat, too, in a previous post.
Have fun with the new bike.
Old 06-24-19, 09:50 PM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I say go full speed ahead! I'd hang some carbon and titanium parts on it.
No problem, I order a real bike. I'll keep the titanium for later. If I'm thinking right either scandium and or titanium has a tendency to chip.
Old 06-25-19, 07:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Good choice.

I feel I was a bit glib in my previous response...

While Upgrading your current bike is a waste, it could be a perfectly serviceable bike as-is - replace what you need to keep it on the road, and ride the hell out of it... but no matter how many 'upgrades' you do it is still not a great bike.
I am sure the Bombtrack will be a much better starting point.
Old 06-25-19, 10:45 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
What do you think 650B wheels will accomplish on gravel that 26" wheels won't?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-26-19, 06:50 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I still have my old mtn.bike with 26" wheels--it's taken me over many mtn.bike trails, rail-trails (most were crushed limestone, but some were gravel). Never had a problem with those 26" wheels taking me where I wanted to go (and they still do!). And the flat bar was just fine over all types of terrain. Just because it isn't noted as a "gravel" bike (the term didn't exist when I started riding) doesn't mean it can't work on gravel.
Old 06-26-19, 11:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

No problem, I order a real bike. I'll keep the titanium for later. If I'm thinking right either scandium and or titanium has a tendency to chip.
Ti doesn't chip, it is super durable and reliable and plus if you get a scratch you can just use a brillo type pad and remove it pretty easily. I got a ti mountain bike because it is going to be much easier to clean, and won't have to worry so much about rust or paint issues (as this frame is unpainted and Ti doesn't rust) However good quality ti tends to be a bit more expensive then you can get good quality steel but it is a really excellent ride quality, not super heavy generally and looks cool.