Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Learning to dislike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Learning to dislike

Old 07-03-19, 12:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Learning to dislike

I have an Orbea Avant MD 40. It is a 2014 model that I bought new in 2016. I bought it because: I wanted a CF frame, it can handle up to 32 mm tires, good component group in 105 10 speed, it was almost 50% off the MSRP, and I really liked the looks of it. All of those things are still true. However, I have never been real happy with the ride, very harsh, and it is one of the noisiest bikes I have ever ridden. I probably had very noisy bikes as a kid, but not as an adult road cyclist. It seems to me that every little bump, bounce, and any other fault in the road, cause to the frame to reverberate with
shock waves and sound waves through the bike to the rider. Riding on gravel, not good. I have gone over it a couple of times to make sure everything is tightened down and as it should be. I have used different tires, 25 mm to 32mm, at lower psi. I took it into a shop and the mechanic, who has worked on other bikes I own, went over it and he said he made some small adjustments but overall good to go. I also make adjustments to the RD/cable as it fairly often starts to not shift properly. Recently, I have mostly been riding my re-built steel Ochsner and titanium Airborne Zeppelin. I took the Orbea for a ride 2 evenings ago and I realized just how much I dislike riding it. Now I am thinking of selling the bike. I would rather ride my steel or titanium bike any day,any time. I knew when I bought it that there was a chance I would not like it, but I just had to have a carbon fiber frame. That is no longer true. I really do not even care that I would probably not get a very good price on it. I would put all the original components back on it and find a use for the ones I upgraded. I am not really complaining, just stating my thoughts on my dissatisfaction with the bike. Live and learn.
Old 07-03-19, 12:49 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

One more thing, I am going to put the original Orbea stem back on it, +/- 6 deg., to see if that will help relieve the quick numbing in my hands when I ride it.
Old 07-03-19, 01:03 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I've never owned a carbon framed bike, but do have a steel framed mtn.bike. Many people seem to like carbon framed bikes, guess it's just a matter of what you are used to. I'd always heard Orbea was a very good bike, but nothing is for everyone. I have noticed that one of the people I ride with has a carbon bike, and it does seem a little "noisier" but didn't seem excessively so. Sounds like the compliant nature of good steel and titanium has you spoiled (don't mean that in a bad way).
Old 07-03-19, 01:37 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
One more thing, I am going to put the original Orbea stem back on it, +/- 6 deg., to see if that will help relieve the quick numbing in my hands when I ride it.
Hard to tell from the angle the bike is at in the pictures, but if your saddle is nose down that can cause all sorts of hand numbness and discomfort.
Old 07-03-19, 02:41 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Life's too short to ride an uncomfortable bike.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-03-19, 02:57 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Originally Posted by freeranger
I've never owned a carbon framed bike, but do have a steel framed mtn.bike. Many people seem to like carbon framed bikes, guess it's just a matter of what you are used to. I'd always heard Orbea was a very good bike, but nothing is for everyone. I have noticed that one of the people I ride with has a carbon bike, and it does seem a little "noisier" but didn't seem excessively so. Sounds like the compliant nature of good steel and titanium has you spoiled (don't mean that in a bad way).
Thanks for the reply. The Orbea is a very good bike and they do have a fine reputation. I did not mean to disparage them. The dislike for the ride is a personal preference. I can get a bit obsessed with any noise coming from my bikes. Also, I have a tendency to have expectations, sometimes unrealistic expectations, and that almost always leads to disappointment. My early 90's steel frame is now the quietest, most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I have a set of Mavic open pro rims with Ultegra hubs, bought used from a BF member, that are about as noiseless as bike wheels can be. The rear doesn't make any ratchet, clicking type noise when the freehub is spinning freely. I absolutely love them. I have nothing against carbon fiber bikes, I wanted one badly. It just seems that one is not for me, at least not this one.
Old 07-03-19, 07:02 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
I once had a Ciocc that I really really really wanted to like.
Just wasn't meant to be.
Old 07-03-19, 08:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
T
Originally Posted by delbiker1
...and I realized just how much I dislike riding it. Now I am thinking of selling the bike... I really do not even care that I would probably not get a very good price on it.
Work on your salesmanship!
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-03-19, 10:26 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
*fibreglass