Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Sikk Bike Shifting Issues

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 02:44 PM
CoachCap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my wife just bought a 3 speed Sikk (Big Tire) beach cruiser. From the moment we put it together the gears slip in and out of gear. Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent this from happening without us having to send the bike back?
Old 07-07-19, 07:25 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
With 3 speeds most times you have to adjust the cable that operates the gears. A local bike shop could do that for you but you will pay for the work. Since I have no idea who made the drive train for your bike that is the best I can answer. Roger
Old 07-07-19, 07:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Look up adjusting the specific hub on YouTube. There's most likely nothing wrong with the bike, as bikes need adjustment/a tuneup to ride properly.
Old 07-07-19, 09:43 AM
CoachCap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at it today and/or have her take it to a bike shop. I am a little disappointed in Sikk Bikes as this is a brand new bike. I got one of these (7 Speed) a few months ago and it is perfect. One would think when you drop 600 bucks on a bike you would not have to take it in for a "tune up" prior to using it. I would not buy another Sikk bike
Old 07-07-19, 12:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachCap
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at it today and/or have her take it to a bike shop. I am a little disappointed in Sikk Bikes as this is a brand new bike. I got one of these (7 Speed) a few months ago and it is perfect. One would think when you drop 600 bucks on a bike you would not have to take it in for a "tune up" prior to using it. I would not buy another Sikk bike
FYI: you got lucky with the 7 speed. Most "good" bikes come boxed up needing a tune-up,...unless specifically mentioned by the company.
Old 07-09-19, 10:28 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Is it a Shiumano Nexus 3 speed? If so, it is very easy to adjust. put the shifter in 2nd gear, then on the axle part of the shifter (bellcrank), turn the barrel adjuster screw until the red mark in the window lines up between the 2 lines. That's it!

If it is a (Sturmey Archer (Sun Race), place in 2nd gear, rotate the pedal to settle the gears, adjust the barrel screw until the pull rod at the end of the mini chain is flush with the axle (you will probably need to pull off a plastic protective cover to do this)

Both these adjustments are on YouTube videos.

Don't be annoyed if a barrel adjustment is out of whack. Even the most prestigious of bikes must deal with these adjustments. It is something the rider needs to know how to do. Cables stretch, and housings settle. They must also be readjusted every time the rear wheel is removed.