Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you wear a helmet?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Do you wear a helmet?

Old 07-15-19, 03:34 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
I always wear a helmet-whether road or trail riding. Always wore one when I motorcycled also. On my off-road bicycle, I've heard a helmet hit the ground more than a few times. Was always very glad I could get up and ride away! One off-road crash in particular, I know I would not have ridden away from if it had not been for the helmet--was dazed, but no concussion, luckily! I don't ever want to hear (or not hear) my head hit the pavement or dirt, rock, whatever.
Old 07-16-19, 11:13 AM
Bearly sane

Bikes: 1990-93 Diamond Back Outlook, rigid, 1x6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope. I'm a boots, blue jeans and t-shirt guy, I refuse to even own a bike helmet.

If you want to wear spandex, butt pads, gloves, helmets... Good for you. You made a personal choice. Just don't dictate to me how I should live MY life. Spandex shorts are useless in a crash, compared to denim, I'm not trying to force others to do as I see fit, I expect others to grant me the same consideration.

Im forced by law here to wear a helmet when on my motorcycles, but I do so under protest.
Old 07-16-19, 02:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Always.

And after watching a horrific crash in a casual group ride a couple of weeks ago, I got an extra helmet so I'll always have one ready with my video camera mount. Occasionally I waste time attached and detaching mounts with my one helmet.

I got away with riding sans helmet in the 1970s. We didn't have any good choices then -- the useless hairnets or an improvised field hockey helmet.

But with age and injuries I know I don't have the reflexes or neck muscle strength to prevent smacking my head if I fall. When I was hit by a car last year my head smacked the pavement hard enough that I'd have a split scalp or knot, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

Since then I've been very satisfied with a Bell Formula MIPS. MIPS does what the claims claim -- it deflects blows. A few months ago I was conked on the noggin by a railroad crossing arm that descended unusually quickly. Our group ride was split, and I braked to a stop as soon as the flashing lights and bell started. But as I was backing away the crossing arm struck my head. The helmet didn't merely absorb the blow, but actually deflected sideways. No harm done to me or the helmet. If I'd been bareheaded it would have been ugly.

Last week I got a POC Omne Air Spin. Weird helmet but a keeper. It's not like the high end POC racing helmets. The Omne is more like one of those skater/hipster commuter helmets, but with plenty of ventilation instead of looking like a bowling ball with three tiny holes for vents. It actually scoops air more effectively than my Bell and was very comfy on a 60 mile ride Sunday in Texas afternoon heat. But it's a bit heavy, at 300+ grams. I'm gonna make that my casual ride, errand and commuter helmet and attach my video camera mounts, lights, etc. I'll save the Bell for my road bike rides or whenever I prefer a lighter weight helmet.
Old 07-17-19, 05:32 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
What to keep in mind while shopping for one?
Looks. And fit. There are so many good helmets to choose from that I will hold out for one that feels good on my head and looks good enough that I can enjoy wearing it.

As far as technical features go I like in-molded helmets and plenty of back-of-the-head protection like is becoming common in mountain biking helmets. Also nice are reinforcing structures and the new MIPS features that I've been reading about.
Old 07-22-19, 05:04 PM
Paulc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't where one on the bike trails, But You should always where one when riding with car traffic!
Old 08-09-19, 01:59 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulc
I don't where one on the bike trails, But You should always where one when riding with car traffic!
I suppose you have some logic in there somewhere, but I'm not seeing it. Helmets aren't just for blunt force protection, it can also protect your head from low hanging branches and bushes. If you're like me and have no hair or a buzz cut you will really appreciate a head cover.
Old 08-09-19, 04:02 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Any recommendations for a low profile helmet that suits Hybrid/Urban bikes? My Road helmet isn't cutting it visually....yes I know.....so petty.
Old 08-09-19, 04:44 PM
Tandemmike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear one.
Old 08-10-19, 08:32 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Any recommendations for a low profile helmet that suits Hybrid/Urban bikes? My Road helmet isn't cutting it visually....yes I know.....so petty.
Are you commuting? I like the model called "The Stack" from Priority Bicycles because it collapses nicely into a flatter shape that fits into a backpack and that doesn't roll around and wobble all over whatever table or desk that I park it on.

Hold out for the looks that you want. You aren't being petty. There are so many good helmets on today's market that there's no sense in buying one that you don't like the look of.
Old 08-11-19, 01:56 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Been reading this thread and it's pretty much the same answer as when people ask if you where your PFD while in your kayak. Seems almost everyone wears a helmet when riding bikes nowadays. Times have really changed as we all know and wearing helmets is seems to be pretty much the norm now. I always ride my motorcycles with helmets on but never wore a helmet for biking riding for 45 years now but will be changing that and will be getting a new helmet and start wearing it while riding. Looks like I will be going to my local shop and trying a few different ones on and see what feels the best to me. I'm pretty sure the better it feels the more I will will use it just like my new PFD I got a few months back. Never wore one while on my kayak but always had one with me but the new one I got feels really comfortable so I wear it every time I use my kayak. Better to have it on and not need it vs needing it and not having it on.
Old 08-11-19, 02:54 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I may not wear one for the 1/2-mile trip to the train station. Leaving a helmet by the bike is next to certain to find it kicked to pieces upon return, and I may not way to carry it with me.
I may not wear one for riding down the street to check any work or adjustments done to the bike.
Anything else - yes.
While I can’t swear that a helmet has saved my life, I am entirely convinced that wearing a helmet has saved me multiple abrasions, contusions, and possibly a concussion or two.
If nothing else, at least a scalp saver if not a life saver.
If all a helmet does is save me one trip to the ER, I’ll consider it money (and comfort) well spent.
Even what’s medically considered a ”minor” or ”moderate” head/facial injury isn’t much fun.
Old 08-11-19, 06:57 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
To each his own but I find it shocking to see people ride without a helmet.
Old 08-11-19, 07:52 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Back in late June a long time friend fell walking back from her mailbox and struck her head on the concrete sidewalk. Fell on Thursday, and never regained consciousness before she died on Saturday.

It reminded me of why I so often err towards safety.
Old 08-11-19, 08:28 PM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Was surprised to see most don't wear helmets in Amsterdam. I don't wear a helmet, I don't ride on roads or trails, only on bike paths, and understand the risks of not wearing a helmet.

Old 08-12-19, 08:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by BookFinder
Back in late June a long time friend fell walking back from her mailbox and struck her head on the concrete sidewalk. Fell on Thursday, and never regained consciousness before she died on Saturday.

It reminded me of why I so often err towards safety.
A cousin of mine died many years ago after falling off a skateboard and hitting his head on a curb. He wasn't wearing a helmet, but I don't know if one would have saved his life.

It seems that everything in life is about managing risk. Of course, we all have our own experiences and opinions on what that actually means for us.

Cheers!
Old 08-12-19, 08:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by SlinkyWizard
Was surprised to see most don't wear helmets in Amsterdam. I don't wear a helmet, I don't ride on roads or trails, only on bike paths, and understand the risks of not wearing a helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8h_DalTjV0
Cyclist wear helmets. Seeing someone that just "rides a bike" or is a commuter wearing a helmet is very rare in my neck of the woods. Also, that guy with the string bass. 😔
Old 08-13-19, 03:36 PM
Chetster213

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Illegal

At least according to Los Angeles city ordinances. Only minors are required by law to wear helmets.
When it comes to clothes and other fashion accessories, it is (almost) always a choice between style or comfort. In the case of a helmet, it's both.
Old 08-15-19, 01:02 PM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Do you wear a helmet?

No helmet riding the bike I bought after leaving the Army in 1974, still no helmet riding the Giant I bought in 1992, still no helmet riding for about 4,000 mile on my KHS and having a few spills. But this Spring, after the worst of the spills last year, I was in Wal-mart and the helmets caught my eye, and I thought why not just spend the $20 or so and be done with it. The relief exhibited by my wife when I told her I bought one was palpable! I just didn't realize more than one person was affected by my decision besides myself.
Old 08-26-19, 11:02 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Heck yea! I put it on before I get out on the street. Too many whack-jobs out there.
Old 08-26-19, 02:46 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Wearing a bicycle helmet is all about Indoctrination thru Marketing : After all I see Young Teens riding Mopeds and Adults on Motorcycles with No Helmets . Yet the same family rides by Muy place quite often. All of them Adorned in Bicycle gear and Helmets : It's marketing :

More likely you'll have a flat tire then a bike Crash. Yet most don't carry spare tubes because it's not Marketed >

If they Marketed Head Bands with reflectors many would have them/.

As for wearing a Helmet along a Busy fast moving Highway or Road. If you get hit You're probably pancake batter :

I do see a Need for Mountain Bikes and Electric Bikes :
Old 08-26-19, 06:15 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
So yep, a new guy here. 60. Haven’t ridden a bike since the 70s (no helmets then) when jumping ramps, hills, dropping the bike going through corner gravel too fast. Never got really hurt, not once. When I ordered bikes for the wife and I last week, ordered helmets too. Why? A few years back, stepped onto black ice in my driveway. Landed square on back of my head. Saw stars, briefly lost consciousness, truly nauseous. Surely concussed. Never want to experience those feelings again, nor do I want the wife to see how that feels.

Luckily when researching helmets along with the bike, I came across the MIPS studies. Had no idea such a thing even existed. Made perfect sense to me since it is very unlikely one will land on the top of their head in a bicycle crash (but surely not impossible). Front, sides or back...very likely. So that’s what we’ll wear.

Now I just need the bike shop to call to say the bikes/helmets are in!
Old 08-29-19, 02:16 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I've worn a helmet on and off for 20 years or more. It depends on the weather and where I'm riding. During the summer, I almost always wear my helmet (Bell Traverse) because my mirror is on it and, more importantly, it ventilates better than a ball cap. I'm not the slightest bit convinced it will save my life in a crash but I wear it most of the time because I rarely go outside without some sort of headwear anyway (usually, a ball cap). I'm not bald but I like keeping the sun off my face. Also, I ride alone either on bike trails or paths at recreational paces. But mostly, it's cooler than a ball cap in warm weather.
Old 09-01-19, 04:07 PM
KyTrek2019

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always. After being involved in a accident last October and breaking both wrist. I had to react fast to avoid a oncoming car. I ended up going over the handlebars. My head hit the road, but ended up with only scratches and scrapes on my face.
Old 09-01-19, 05:00 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I'm not comfortable without. Be Well. Bandito
Old 09-01-19, 05:02 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I should add that in my small town, who thinks it is NYC, it is legal to go helmet-less but illegal to ride on the sidewalks. Be Well. Bandito

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.