Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Birth year bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Birth year bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 11:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I would rather have a bike that evokes memories, instead of a bike made when I was an infant. When I was in middle school in the mid seventies, a kid on my bus was raving about getting a new Fuji and how they were so much better than the Schwinn Varsity and Huffy bikes that everyone else had. I ended up buying a used Kabuki, because I didn't have enough to get a Fuji. I don't know what model he got, but a Fuji from that era would mean more to me than something from the early sixties. Also, I wouldn't be concerned about upgrades, because things were changing rapidly back then, so it was normal to swap parts whenever something new came out, or when you saved enough money to upgrade to a lighter version.
I feel the same, and I suspect many others do. I've read that the age of 14 years is a highly impressionable one. We can understand how a musician, for example, crafted their creativity by listening to the music they listened to when they were 14 years old. The bikes I lusted after at (and around) age 14 still have a special place in my heart. In 1975, when I was 14, my bike was an Atala Giro D'Italia, similar to a Peugeot UO-8. A schoolmate of mine had a Raleigh International. It had almost all Campagnolo gear on it, and it was light and fast. Well, is it a coincidence, then, that I own an International now? In some ways yes and in some ways no. I also lusted after those Viscount bikes, and I've learned they're not as fancy as the marketing had us believe. I have one now, and I've converted it to fixed gear. It's the most disposable bike in my collection, and I don't mind it locking it up on the street when I take a short trip, but I'm glad to be riding it and imagining what it was like to own one in the 70s.

The C&V realm of bikes has many forces to create and sustain it, and one of them is the tendency for middle-aged men to buy the toys that we had in childhood or lusted after.

After my Atala was stolen from me, I got a Raleigh Gran Sport, whose geometry and weight were similar to the International's. My International is built as a practical frankenbike commuter bike, and it feels familiar to me, from my memories of my Gran Sport. I still have some tugs on me, telling to get a Gran Sport, for old times' sake. I also would like a PX-10, as I had two, each for a short period, as they were both stolen. But I'm holding out, because they would overlap with the bikes I currently own.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-12-19, 03:04 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi.

When I was in grade 2 we moved a half block away from Cap's Cycles in New Westminster B.C. (one of the largest bicycle shops in Canada at the time). The shop is still there (established in 1932). The bikes I recall mostly were Peugeots. But I'm sure they had Raleigh and Italian bikes as well.

I agree that as we age (I'm 55) we do long for things we didn't or couldn't have from our childhood. I bought a Scalextric 1;32 slotcar track a few years back, just to have one. An RC car may have been better, but there is something about slot cars that is appealing. Same with audio equipment. It need not be from our "youdth", but late teens and early 20's as well.

Maybe the idea of collecting or enjoying vintage bikes is just that, but it is more too. We get to ride them as well.

Last edited by Nu2Miele; 07-12-19 at 03:21 PM.
Likes For Nu2Miele:
Old 07-15-19, 11:12 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
'58 Raleigh Superbe 'club'. Even more appropriate since it appears to be a Canada-only model, as am I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
58-superbe1.jpg (2.21 MB, 167 views)
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-15-19, 11:29 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
How many of you have a bike from your birth year.......................
Did they make bicycles in 1947?
Old 07-15-19, 11:30 AM
twowheelnut

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"You are not allowed to post URLs or IMAGES until you have at least 10 posts"
I have a 1985 Schwinn Peloton that I bought myself new for my 25th birthday. It sure weathers the crashes better than my carbon bike
Old 07-15-19, 12:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I don't have a birth year bike. I do however, have a 1972 model wife and 3 1972 bikes.
Old 07-15-19, 12:50 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
My birth year bike -- 1969 Raleigh Competition

I'm not committed to keeping it original. My philosophy as it relates to my age, and as with most vintage bikes, is that its age doesn't have to be a limitation. I don't want to treat it like an old bike. I want to treat it like a bike that I love and want to ride. As pictured above, it's a lot closer to original than most of my bikes. It may not stay that way. We'll see.
Old 07-15-19, 01:19 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
These are all great looking bikes! It would be nice to have one from 1965. Though I did get stuck riding my brother’s old Schwinn Breeze (which I am pretty sure was from 1965) when my bike got stolen.
Old 07-15-19, 02:18 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
As for me, the bummer about being born in 1980 is that it was a time of malaise for cars, guitars, bikes, and many other things. I'd probably need to track down something custom to make it worthwhile.
Trek made some pretty sweet bikes in 1980.
Old 07-15-19, 02:18 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i was curious as to what was available in the atb world in 81 and after hitting google i now really want a schwinn sidewinder
Old 07-15-19, 02:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
Trek made some pretty sweet bikes in 1980.
That's a good point! They were still on their way up.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-19, 03:42 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
My Birth year bikes fell into my lap. didnt have to do much for them.

my grail bike at 13 would have to be a , 1987 Diamond Back Arrival. some day i will find one

Old 07-16-19, 08:24 AM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They didn't make bikes back then.

I did have a Hopalong Cassidy bike when I was six, though. Black and white with rope details and streamers off the handlebars... and, oh yes... holsters - I think you had to supply your own toy guns, but I'm not sure..
Old 07-16-19, 08:57 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jefscolnago
I did have a Hopalong Cassidy bike when I was six, though. Black and white with rope details and streamers off the handlebars... and, oh yes... holsters - I think you had to supply your own toy guns, but I'm not sure..
Oh, man. I could have really used a bike like that! Here's a pic my sister recently shared with me.

Old 07-17-19, 03:09 AM
Petros98223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a 1958 Olmo, the year of my birth, when I was in high school in about 1974. I only paid $10 for it at a garage sale, it had been badly neglected and needed repairs. I still have it, but I have not ridden on it much in the last 26 years since we moved to rural property where we have gravel roads. It came with tubular tires, mostly Campy, but some steel components (seat and handle bar stem, crank, etc) that were badly rusted. I had at the time replaced the steel parts with some decent alloy shimmano parts and rode on it extensively. I have recent been hunting down period correct Italian made components, including a lot of vintage Campy components, to return it back to its original condition.

1958 Olmo road bike. condition before my current rebuild with vintage components.
Likes For Petros98223:
Old 07-17-19, 10:55 PM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd love to have a bike from 1955. I could put it in the back of the '55 Chevy Nomad that I'd also love to own.
Old 09-10-19, 07:21 PM
IlovemyBreeze

Bikes: 1965 Schwinn DeLuxe Breeze, ???? Trek, 1973 Schwinn Twinn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have my 1965 Schwinn DeLuxe Breeze 2 speed I got for my 10th birthday. It has been repainted with Schwinn Coppertone paint and NOS decals. She’s beautiful! However, recently a pedal fell off while riding it and I’m told it cannot be repaired as it is “one piece”. Not too happy about that at all. Still trying to find one to replace it.

Last edited by IlovemyBreeze; 05-17-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 07:28 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IlovemyBreeze
I have my 1965 Schwinn Breeze 2 speed I got for my 10th birthday. It has been repainted with Schwinn Coppertone paint and NOS decals. She’s beautiful! However, recently a pedal fell off while riding it and I’m told it cannot be repaired as it is “one piece”. Not too happy about that at all. Still trying to find one to replace it.
You'll likely find an entire Breeze rather than a pedal. Plus, you'll end up with lots of spares.
Likes For ParamountScapin:
Old 09-10-19, 07:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
I have my 1965 Schwinn Breeze 2 speed I got for my 10th birthday. It has been repainted with Schwinn Coppertone paint and NOS decals. She’s beautiful! However, recently a pedal fell off while riding it and I’m told it cannot be repaired as it is “one piece”. Not too happy about that at all. Still trying to find one to replace it.
Did the pedal unscrew from the crankarm, or did the crankarm break? Either way, this is a simple fix. Post up a picture or a link to an album when you get to 10 posts - start a new thread

-Kurt

Old 09-10-19, 07:37 PM
IlovemyBreeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, I thought about that!
Old 09-10-19, 07:43 PM
IlovemyBreeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It didn’t unscrew from the pedal post, it slipped right off. The local bike shop said it is a one piece unit and that it can’t be put back on because the pedal came off the stem. I was hoping he was wrong...
Old 09-10-19, 08:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

It didn’t unscrew from the pedal post, it slipped right off. The local bike shop said it is a one piece unit and that it can’t be put back on because the pedal came off the stem. I was hoping he was wrong...
You mean the pedal is now just a thin shaft at the end of the crank arm, right? If so, your shop is full of baloney - the shaft can be removed just like the whole pedal unit, and replaced with another pedal.

If the pedal slipped right out of the crankarm due to damaged threads, the shop is still full of baloney, because the crankarm can be replaced. Take a look at this thread and tell me if those double-L shaped things look like one of the broken pieces:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...portunity.html

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-10-19, 08:19 PM
IlovemyBreeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for taking the time about this! There are no pieces like in your picture. When it happened the ball bearings fell out. To be clear, the local bike shop said MY pedal can’t be fixed, which is what I wanted because it’s original and has all my childhood scuff marks on it. LOL! So, yes, the pedal is now a thin shaft at the end of the crank arm. (Sorry, I didn’t know all the parts’ names.). He got out a catalogue and found some ugly ones with reflectors on them...I was hoping to find an authentic pedal if mine can’t be fixed.
Old 09-10-19, 08:43 PM
IlovemyBreeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WAIT!! The pedals in your picture with the XXX pattern are just like mine!! Would they be able to replace mine??
Likes For IlovemyBreeze:
Old 09-10-19, 09:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

WAIT!! The pedals in your picture with the XXX pattern are just like mine!! Would they be able to replace mine??
Should screw right on in place of the originals. Can you send a PM to @FolderBeholder, or is your account restricted until you pass 10 posts?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.