Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Machka where are you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 06:12 AM
rustycool7

Bikes: surly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machka where are you?

As a fan, I want to hear the good, bad and ugly of your ride. From other reports I've read, the conditions were horrible. I hope to read about it soon.
Old 08-28-07, 07:50 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Probably having a great time touring/vacationing. She didn't go over
just for PBP. I am sure, in due time, we will get a report once the
experience has faded a bit. Reports by others suggest a horrorific
ride.

Last edited by sch; 08-29-07 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 08:55 PM
rustycool7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ask becasue I've thought much about this PBP and the struggle it must have been. Hour after lonely hour riding in the rain can torture your soul. Some insight into this from Machka would be valuable for all of us. How does one come to the decision to abandon after so much given. I rode the DC Randonneur 600K this year so I have some idea what it must've been out there on those desolate chipseal roads in the rain. I don't mean to call her out our judge because I may have done the same. In fact, hope to participate myself in '11. Perhaps we can enjoy the Randonneur smile together at that time.
Old 08-29-07, 04:38 AM
papawizo

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Merckx ti with a lot of miles, Cannondale T1000, Tandem Tuesday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leapfrogged with rowan and machka for many hours. I actually shared the bus depot with them in Loudeac. I can't speak for them but for me, I was slower than I wanted to be (rain?..not a big deal but it did slow me down) which put pressure on the clock. I felt tired at the start. I was way behind on getting to loudeac and than started to lose it with sleep deprivation. I tried dozing at the side of the road twice, and finally went into a wet and muddy ditch, with eyes closed. Found a place to sleep. Slept for 30 minutes and got to loudeac wasted. I had no time and wasn't thinking clearly , slept a bit too much, headed out behind in time and hit big rollers with a significant headwind. I wasn't going to make it in time, or so I believed. My average speed was terrible. My stomach had been a problem for many hours and was having a hard time with any food. I stopped and had a desparate moment. Tears don't really describe the pain of the moment. Very very low. I wan't going to make it to Carhaix or to brest or paris in time. Grief and despair. I headed back to Loudeac. I ran into machka and rowan at a bus depot later on. The answer for me is get stronger. Friends who were middle pack riders in Seattle (faster than me) finished with little or no time to spare. A few slower riders finished and they were very efficient. I obviously wasn't. I needed to get my controles done earlier and sleep for three hours straight....it didn't happen.
Old 08-29-07, 07:23 AM
rustycool7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Papawizo....Great report from the road. What an epic event. I consider myself one of the "slower riders" so your insiight is valuable. Do you plan to make it back in '11? I hope others will post their stories as well.
Old 08-29-07, 10:07 AM
Herman47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have been wondering where Machka is...

...curious about how her trip went.
Old 08-29-07, 10:11 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rustycool7
How does one come to the decision to abandon after so much given.
I have never attempted a ride of this magnitude, but regardless if you are cycling, writing a book, learning an instrument, or whatever, there is always a point at which you have to ask yourself why you are doing it and what you get out of the experience.

We all need to get some satisfaction out of riding, and hopefully it is fun as well. While testing the limits of your mind and body can be part of that experience, it's perfectly reasonable to come to the conclusion that all you're doing is torturing yourself and that it's time to hang back for a bit. Nothing wrong with that, and it's good for your sanity in the long run.
Old 08-29-07, 02:51 PM
Six jours

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
From the sound of it, PBP is the sort of thing I would do once, primarily for the satisfaction of having done it. It's not exactly sounding like Disneyland, at this point.
Old 08-29-07, 11:45 PM
ConstantRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone interested, here's a Flickr set I came across with hundreds of photos from PBP. Lots of great shots -- I think this one really captures the spirit of the event.
Old 08-30-07, 02:43 AM
claire

Bikes: Mikado De Champlain, Decathlon Cobra 600, Orbea Enol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ConstantRider
For anyone interested, here's a Flickr set I came across with hundreds of photos from PBP. Lots of great shots -- I think this one really captures the spirit of the event.
Wow these pics are truly beautiful! Thanks!
Old 08-30-07, 06:48 AM
papawizo

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Merckx ti with a lot of miles, Cannondale T1000, Tandem Tuesday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustycool7
. Do you plan to make it back in '11? .
It is like a disease that has changed me. I'll be there faster and stronger, barring injury and the unplanned.
Old 08-30-07, 07:01 AM
papawizo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SIR had a fellow photographing the event. He did an amazing job. Many of my good buddies are there in thier blue wool SIR jerseys. Nice to see so many I know.
Old 08-30-07, 11:56 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
From the sound of it, PBP is the sort of thing I would do once, primarily for the satisfaction of having done it. It's not exactly sounding like Disneyland, at this point.
Honestly, if not for the rain, I think it would've been an utterly fantastic experience. The people on the route were some of the kindest, most hospitable folks you can find. The terrain was gorgeous and the food was excellent. Part of what the ride work for me was taking time to stop at roadside stands and the various patisseries along the route (I joked with others that they were doing a brevet, and I was doing a survey of Bretonnian pastry craft by bicycle). Meeting so many people who were keenly interested in seeing you continue made the event for me, and riding with cyclists from all over the world who weren't focused on beating you but on sharing the magic of the experience was, itself, exhilarating.

Yes, the rain made it hard and miserable, but I've done 'short', flat charity centuries rides in driving rain and had an equally terrible time. Don't let temporary circumstances dictate your future perspective of the event itself.
Old 08-30-07, 12:22 PM
rustycool7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said spoken word, I think you captured the spirit of the event. On my first Brevet (a 400K with the DC Randonneurs) my rear der got caught in my spokes, ripping it in half, breaking the chain, and pulling the threads out of the dropout. I was only 25 miles into the ride. As other riders came up behind me, they stopped to offer advice, and help in trying to convert my bike into a single speed. This ultimately proved to be a failure but the gesture of support meant the world to me.

So much so that I was determined to finish the ride to honor their kindness. I coasted back down a mountain sans chain, hitched a ride back to me car, drove to a bike shop, bought new parts, made repairs, drove back to the start point, and finished the ride (taking a slightly shorter route). Of course I was officially a DNF on the Brevet but great feeling after finishing was the same.

Any of you "long distance riders" that haven't experienced the camaraderie and teamwork on a Brevet should try one sometime. You will not regret it.
Old 08-30-07, 01:47 PM
rustycool7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read this story:

https://zecher.org/clare/PBP2007RideReport.html
Old 08-30-07, 02:53 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great read!
Old 08-30-07, 08:40 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Incredible ride report!
Old 08-30-07, 10:03 PM
rusty993
cycling fool

Bikes: Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That report was amazing, really inspirational stuff. Maybe in four years time some of us may have our own stories.
Old 08-30-07, 10:05 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wasn't able to go this year for financial reasons... I'm starting to save now for the next one, though!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 08-30-07, 10:32 PM
Six jours

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That report was amazing, really inspirational stuff.
Perhaps you were inspired to learn how to work on your bike, improve your bike handling skills, and maybe receive anxiety disorder counseling?

Or maybe I'm just being too cynical, for this thread. She did finish a ride I've never even started...
Old 08-30-07, 11:54 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh... on topic: I know Machka DNF'd the ride, as did her friend Rowan.

Edit: Hmm... I remembered incorrectly... her father posted a little about the dnf. I'm sure we'll get a great ride report when she gets back!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by bmclaughlin807; 08-31-07 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-31-07, 12:38 PM
ronsmithjunior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have put together my ride report:

https://web.mac.com/ronsmithjunior/pbp
Old 08-31-07, 12:42 PM
ronsmithjunior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going through Loudeac the first time I got a plate of food and sat at a table where all the other occupants were sleeping. I tried to eat quietly.

Btw, apparently a surprising number of people decided to just sleep wherever they could, with seemingly little thought about potentially rough conditions. I tell you, a sleeping bag and mat can give you some quality sleep. What the guys in the photo are getting is not.
Old 09-03-07, 03:31 PM
Sanulaw
Florida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronsmithjunior
I have put together my ride report:

https://web.mac.com/ronsmithjunior/pbp
Ron, I read your ride report and found it fascinating. It's pumped me up to the point where I'm thinking I could do this in 4 years. Problem... I'll be 62. Not sure if I'll have the mental fortitude to suffer through the conditions and I've never ridden at night before. All in all, I could be in for a really big challenge. But for now, really enjoyed your experience.
Old 09-03-07, 09:00 PM
pidda

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF, Moto LeChamp SL, Raleigh Rush Hour, Crescent MTB, Swedish Army issue bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a blind cane on the table in that picture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.