Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

how to discourage car ownership

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

how to discourage car ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 09:11 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
England's population density is 250 times that of our local county, and so England has enough ridership base to offer a regular transit service to and from rual areas and so forth. Our county population is not enough to offer incentive for larger extensive services other than for the most densely populated areas in our area. To put in perspective, England's population density is though the US had 2.5 billion people, or almost twice that of China's.
Their density is mostly concentrated in the cities. You get out in the countryside and it looks much like rural America. And many of their more rural areas don't have much public transport, but they do usually have a train stop at least. Obviously it's not a 1 to 1 comparison (all of England is about the size of Alabama). It doesn't mean it can't be done here. Especially in the sprawl areas where most of our commuter traffic is concentrated.
Old 11-02-07, 09:29 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce_B
Their density is mostly concentrated in the cities. You get out in the countryside and it looks much like rural America. And many of their more rural areas don't have much public transport, but they do usually have a train stop at least. Obviously it's not a 1 to 1 comparison (all of England is about the size of Alabama). It doesn't mean it can't be done here. Especially in the sprawl areas where most of our commuter traffic is concentrated.
It's more cost effective to move millons of people over a few hundred miles than thousands over the same distance, plus our mountainous terrain makes train operating costs very expensive, several train corporations have either pulled out or went bankrupt trying to make our railroad viable.
Old 11-02-07, 09:43 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's more cost effective to move millons of people over a few hundred miles than thousands over the same distance, plus our mountainous terrain makes train operating costs very expensive, several train corporations have either pulled out or went bankrupt trying to make our railroad viable.
I don't see how each person using a car and the costs of the infrastructure to support that is more cost effective. What is holding it back IMHO is cheap fuel, people's reluctance to change, and our car centered society where driving has become a right and a necessity rather than a privilege. So we wouldn't be able to run as many trains on each route every day as denser areas. We run what the demand calls for. Make gas $15 a gallon and there will be a demand.
Old 11-02-07, 09:44 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Kettle Valley Railway in British Columbia folded for that reason. Construction was difficult as there were mountains and valleys to cross. During its entire history, the railway made money just one year and that was during an exceptionally mild winter with little snow. Today, the tracks have been removed except for a 16-kilometre portion in Summerland where a tourist train operates
Old 11-02-07, 09:57 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
The Kettle Valley Railway in British Columbia folded for that reason. Construction was difficult as there were mountains and valleys to cross. During its entire history, the railway made money just one year and that was during an exceptionally mild winter with little snow. Today, the tracks have been removed except for a 16-kilometre portion in Summerland where a tourist train operates
Obviously trains aren't the only option, and they're not the answer for every situation. If you can build a road for cars then buses can go over it as well. I'm not saying public transportation has to be the only option, just the better one.
Old 11-02-07, 10:32 AM
adgrant

Bikes: Still researching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously trains aren't the only option, and they're not the answer for every situation. If you can build a road for cars then buses can go over it as well. I'm not saying public transportation has to be the only option, just the better one.
If buses were the only mass transit option available, I would probably drive. They are definitely my least favorite form of transportation. I was riding on one in the city a couple of weeks ago. I ended getting out of the bus and walking. Took me longer but was much more enjoyable.
Old 11-02-07, 10:35 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
My next door neighbors are truck crazy. They have a two children living there, now of driving age.
They own 5 pickup trucks, two diesel. Three are extended cab. As soon as each kid started driving they got a truck. The youngest boy spends 5min reving the engine while parked in front of my house and seems to make a dozen trips a day on weekends. Drives me nuts. They leave the diesels idling for 20min at a time and the fumes choke me inside my own house (in the fall/spring with windows open)
Anyway last weekend they had a family BBQ in the park 1/2mi from home. There were six of them and they took 4 trucks to get there. Yikes.

Al
Old 11-02-07, 10:53 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look at the amount of money poured into the car culture every year... if even a fraction of that went to the train industries, we could have service that is magnitudes of order better than what we have now.

The fact is that the reason it's so easy to use a car in so many areas is that it's VERY heavily subsidized by the government...

Those tracks that they can't build or maintain? Why isn't the government trying to subsidize them?

Imagine how many trucking companies would stay in business if they had to build and maintain their own roads!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-02-07, 11:01 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
My next door neighbors are truck crazy. They have a two children living there, now of driving age.
They own 5 pickup trucks, two diesel. Three are extended cab. As soon as each kid started driving they got a truck. The youngest boy spends 5min reving the engine while parked in front of my house and seems to make a dozen trips a day on weekends. Drives me nuts. They leave the diesels idling for 20min at a time and the fumes choke me inside my own house (in the fall/spring with windows open)
Anyway last weekend they had a family BBQ in the park 1/2mi from home. There were six of them and they took 4 trucks to get there. Yikes.

Al
I know how that is. I live in the land of the "my truck is bigger than yours" syndrome. I would say about 90% of the commuters around here are single occupant full size trucks and SUVs. The average commute is probably 10 to 20 miles one way. I actually know of people who commute about 60 miles one way every day. I wonder if they could find a better way if gas wasn't so cheap.
Old 11-02-07, 11:02 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I know how that is. I live in the land of the "my truck is bigger than yours" syndrome. I would say about 90% of the commuters around here are single occupant full size trucks and SUVs. The average commute is probably 10 to 20 miles one way. I actually know of people who commute about 60 miles one way every day. I wonder if they could find a better way if gas wasn't so cheap.
Of course I was just venting. But what I was thinking, but not typing, was how could I begin to reach them? So far gone.

Al
Old 11-02-07, 11:11 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Look at the amount of money poured into the car culture every year... if even a fraction of that went to the train industries, we could have service that is magnitudes of order better than what we have now.
And the worst part is that a lot of the rail infrastructure we would need is already there. It's just not used for passengers. There are a lot more rail lines than what Amtrak travels. We could have a viable passenger rail system through most of the country if we really wanted. It would be a lot cheaper than what we've spent on some other things lately. And if manged right it could pay for itself.
Old 11-02-07, 11:13 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course I was just venting. But what I was thinking, but not typing, was how could I begin to reach them? So far gone.

Al
I don't think anything will reach them... except $15 a gallon gas
Old 11-02-07, 11:37 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Al
Years ago, I had neighbours I nicknamed Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson. They were in their early 20s and had nice motorcycles. Often, they'd let the bikes rev for a good 15 minutes — at 12:30 or 1 a.m. On a warm day, they'd be outside, shirts off, polishing their bikes.

If they were my neighbours today, I'd wait until they were out polishing their bikes. Then I'd get out with my bicycle and I'd meticulously clean and polish it, in a place where they could see me.

If nothing else, it would provide a little comic relief for the neighbourhood.
Old 11-02-07, 11:43 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their density is mostly concentrated in the cities. You get out in the countryside and it looks much like rural America.
It depends what you mean by "rural America." Rural Vermont or Mass, maybe. But the rural midwest and mountain west, and certainly my state, are almost uninhabited compared with the UK. Instead of a village over the next hill the nearest HOUSE may be twenty miles away. That said, I know many people who live in some extremely remote areas with no cars. No roads, either!
Old 11-02-07, 12:15 PM
Herman47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In trying to think more deeply.

"But two or more cars is surely an unnecessary extravagance." -- csr

Let me state at the outset that I do not have a car, have never had a car, and have never driven a car. I am about as strongly anti-car as they come, longing for the day when gasoline taxes are increased to reduce the number of cars on the road. That being said, csr's conclusion in the quote above needs to be more firmly established. Think: if a person owns two cars, he/she only uses one at a time, and therefore the reduced wear and tear on each car should make each one last twice as long.

Still, though, why would anyone ever own two cars? Well, for similar reasons that people own two bikes. You have one available should the other be being repaired. Different cars might be more appropriate for different sorts of situations (e.g., a wider car for a car-pool, a more narrow and fuel efficient car for solo driving). Finally, family members going in different directions at a particular time can each use a car.

My suspicion, though, is that while two cars should theoretically last twice as long, motorists probably don't wait long enough for that to happen, and probably start trading in one or both cars before their functioning lifespan is over. This entails some loss of efficiency, some degree of the wastefulness that csr referred to.
Old 11-02-07, 12:29 PM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
It depends what you mean by "rural America." Rural Vermont or Mass, maybe. But the rural midwest and mountain west, and certainly my state, are almost uninhabited compared with the UK. Instead of a village over the next hill the nearest HOUSE may be twenty miles away. That said, I know many people who live in some extremely remote areas with no cars. No roads, either!
We don't count Alaska down here in the 48

But seriously, as I said it's not an exact comparison. I was just using an example of a place I'm familiar with that has good public transportation. We got to some very remote areas without ever using a car. I'm sure some places do it even better. My point is we could do it here, we just don't want to.
Old 11-02-07, 08:34 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts

Buses may be a good alternative to trains, but again, there has to be enough of a demand to make them viable, and the only bus transit in our area that is close to being financially viable and with a decent running schedule only services a 50 mile stretch of road connecting 5 of our towns. I don't see 15 dollar a gallon gas anytime in the near furture, along with the bus's inability to service every nook and cranny of our area, plus subsidized roads, adding in low population density, I have to say that the motor vehicle will be with us, at least during my remaining years.
Old 11-02-07, 08:51 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
Why not run for public office and see how many votes this platform will earn you.
Yeah, we could criminalize cars. The War on Cars!

All joking aside, I think the wiser thing is to encourage non-car use. That is a pretty complex task too.
Old 11-02-07, 09:43 PM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Yeah, we could criminalize cars. The War on Cars!

All joking aside, I think the wiser thing is to encourage non-car use. That is a pretty complex task too.
Why is it complex? Make them expensive to use and people will find another way.
Old 11-03-07, 03:01 AM
csr
Don't cycle?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herman47
"But two or more cars is surely an unnecessary extravagance." -- csr

... Think: if a person owns two cars, he/she only uses one at a time,...
I mean per household, where there are multiple drivers. In most cases there is at least one principal driver whose route will overlap some form of public transportation, and certainly overlap potential public transportation. Consider this in the most populated areas of the country, where say 85% of the people live, suburban and urban (just guessing at the percentage).

I don't see 15 dollar a gallon gas anytime in the near future, along with the bus's inability to service every nook and cranny of our area, plus subsidized roads,
Actually gas could get that expensive, but it may have more to do with the collapse of the dollar, which tends to coincide with inflation.

I think the public transportation problem is a 'last mile' problem. The way to solve it is to inject a profit motive into the picture.

Another idea: Perhaps people could be given a tax credit for not driving a car to work. Anything else instead of driving would qualify: walking, bus, subway, train, biking. But not helicopter. Have to draw the line somewhere. And absolutely no fighter jet commuting. Very wasteful, that.

Another long-term benefit of higher taxation on gas and cars would be that people would tend to consume less and save more. This would stimulate long-term saving and reduce consumer spending (and indebtedness). We send too much money to China for plastic trash that breaks in six months. We use debt to buy consumable items. We're literally driving around in circles, driving ourselves into the ground. We should calm down, and smell the roses.

Someone mentioned food shopping: a car is handy for that, indeed. I propose the luxury tax on second, third, etc., motor vehicles.
Old 11-03-07, 07:29 AM
shumacher

Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a relative who uses a wheelchair, and lives on a fixed income. Her home is in a rural area. She could move to an area with a bus route, but that would have her living in a higher crime area too. She owns an inexpensive car that carries her chair and her groceries just fine. I love her, and cycling is great fun for me, but I'd never try to get her out of the car. It lets her live near family. She's within five miles of nearly everything she needs, and is responsible for less than three thousand miles of travel a year.

I'm against any policy that would mess with her car. Making it more expensive to own and operate a car would do that.
Old 11-03-07, 08:24 AM
Bruce_B
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumacher
I have a relative who uses a wheelchair, and lives on a fixed income. Her home is in a rural area. She could move to an area with a bus route, but that would have her living in a higher crime area too. She owns an inexpensive car that carries her chair and her groceries just fine. I love her, and cycling is great fun for me, but I'd never try to get her out of the car. It lets her live near family. She's within five miles of nearly everything she needs, and is responsible for less than three thousand miles of travel a year.

I'm against any policy that would mess with her car. Making it more expensive to own and operate a car would do that.
It wouldn't be difficult to have some common sense exemptions. Disabled people who can't get around without a car could be exempt from the tax. We could also exempt emergency services, delivery services, farmers, and maybe a few others.
Old 11-03-07, 10:13 AM
Spaceman Spiff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is already a country where the government decides who needs a car and how many they are allowed to own. It's called North Korea.

Discouraging car use should be done by convincing people that it's the right thing to do, NOT by forcing them.

Besides, I don't think the number of cars one owns matters as much as how they're used. If I own 3 cars but only drive a total of 5000 kms a year and another guy owns only 1 car but drives 30,000 kms a year, who is causing more damage to the environment?
Old 11-03-07, 04:11 PM
csr
Don't cycle?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Discouraging car use should be done by convincing people that it's the right thing to do, NOT by forcing them.
Government is in effect a principle of force that continuously alters choices of all kinds. We are already being forced to accept driving. The question is, does that serve national and personal interests as well as a policy that discourages driving?

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Besides, I don't think the number of cars one owns matters as much as how they're used. If I own 3 cars but only drive a total of 5000 kms a year and another guy owns only 1 car but drives 30,000 kms a year, who is causing more damage to the environment?
The savings materialize when family groupings are considered. One family with three cars will use the cars a great deal. One family with one car will rely more heavily on walking, public transportation, bike riding, and where applicable, swimming. lol
Old 11-03-07, 04:18 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think you understood. You are talking discouraging car use. That's not at all what I was referring to.

I said that encouraging non-car use was complex. You have to disassemble the pro-car paradigm. If you are living in suburbia, you are so hostage to a car that you will pay a hefty price to continue.

So I am calling for encouraging non-car living. So we need light rail, we need ample sidewalks, we need bike paths, we need stores and merchants in neighborhoods not gated communities and a lot more. We need to make it easy to live without a car. People can't just "find another way". It takes planning and infrastructure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.