Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Anyone doing 5bbc Montauk this year?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 12:30 AM
Mazaev

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just kinda decided to jump in and do this thing at the last minute. Anyone else doing the 145 and want to meet up at Penn station?
Old 05-13-09, 06:40 AM
gearhead.ny
Huntington, NY

Bikes: Trek 4500 MTB, Specialized Roubaix Comp Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not this year, just doin the 100 from Bab. Sux that they r callin for rain. Gonna ride it anyway. GL, see ya out there.
Old 05-13-09, 12:42 PM
sukram
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Bikes: Brompton & a Bianchi Volpe do-it-all-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some friends and I are doing either the 145 or the 100, weather pending. We might drive out to Babylon if the weather looks lousy. If it looks really lousy we might just spend the day drinking.
Old 05-13-09, 01:58 PM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My training partner and I were discussing this today at lunch. She signed up in advance, I decided to wait for the last minute. They are calling for rain Saturday night and thunderstorms Sunday, windy, and 65. I don't know what the roads look like west of Babylon, but out here and going east they are still covered with sand on the sides and in a lot of intersections. Enough that they are dangerous in some places when it is dry. If it gets wet and windy, it is going to be a mess for some of the less experienced/skilled riders.

If you are one of those, be careful. If you are not, then be careful around them.

And I hope the weather person has blown this forecast and it is sunny and warm.
Old 05-14-09, 08:44 PM
creakier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4am

weather problems aside, how am i going to get up much less get jacked up on coffee by 04:00?
Old 05-15-09, 06:52 PM
gearhead.ny
Huntington, NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather forecast has been changed again. Now they sayin AM T-showers instead of all day.
Still 60 percent. Might get lucky
Old 05-16-09, 06:39 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Latest forecast:

Rain until about 10 am (no thunderstorms, rain spotty), then clearing and sunny in the afternoon. Winds at 10 to 15 mph out of the West North West, meaning that you are going to have a nearly perfect tail wind all the way to Montauk.

Enjoy.
Old 05-16-09, 07:12 PM
gearhead.ny
Huntington, NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good new, thanks exRunner
Now lets gitter done!

Old 05-17-09, 01:43 AM
Mazaev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off we go :-)
Old 05-17-09, 05:04 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride fun, everybody!
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 05-17-09, 01:44 PM
Mazaev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the weather was pretty damn lousy! 154.7 miles in the bag :-) Never seen my bike this filthy.
Old 05-17-09, 03:16 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My training partner sent me a text saying that there was a very bad bike-car wreck. Anyone know anything about it? Is the biker OK?
Old 05-17-09, 09:08 PM
sukram
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaev
Well, the weather was pretty damn lousy! 154.7 miles in the bag :-) Never seen my bike this filthy.
No kidding. I even had the fenders on my bike to help cut the crap down a bit.

The light rain from Penn to Babylon was ok enough, but we got totally drenched between Babylon and the Corey Beach rest stop, and it was cold suddenly. Looks like a lot of people bailed there. Had to get back on the bike to warm up again.

Funny thing, I thought I had signed up for the 145, then we got the queue sheets...
Old 05-17-09, 09:10 PM
sukram
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
My training partner sent me a text saying that there was a very bad bike-car wreck. Anyone know anything about it? Is the biker OK?
Cripes, I hope they're alright. I had no idea anything like this happened today.
Old 05-17-09, 09:26 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sukram
Cripes, I hope they're alright. I had no idea anything like this happened today.
I just talked to Diane. Just East of Sayville there was a Team in Training Van that had stopped to help a rider. It was parked facing the wrong direction on the side of the road. Diane told me that it was as far off the road as it could get, stopped with the engine off. They were working on a bike behind the van.

A male rider rode into the van at full speed. She said he didn't even stop pedaling. She estimated 15 to 18 mph at impact.

She said that he had a fractured cheek bone that was protruding through the skin and his arm was broken with bone showing through at the elbow. He was also unconscious.

She didn't know anything else.
Old 05-18-09, 08:39 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaev
Wow. We barely had any rain at the Bloomin' Metric. Just a few drops around 10 am. The sun even came out for a few minutes later.
Old 05-18-09, 09:19 AM
gearhead.ny
Huntington, NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea the weather was lousy for the most part. Ponquague Bridge was tough with the big headwind and stinging rain. Made for a good work out. I havent heard of any accidents but the woman I was riding with had 5 flats, both front and back combined. I hope everyone else did well.
Old 05-18-09, 09:56 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did the 102 from Babylon. Miserable weather! We fixed dozens of flats, both for our TNT team and for people along the route. I helped fix up a few people who crashed on various turns along the route. Only one had to get sagged for her injuries. She banged up her left cheek pretty good along with her knee and shoulder. She also banged up her hand, probably broke a finger.

For anyone that saw the guy with the handbike, he completed the ride in about 12.5 hours! That bridge and hills killed him but he persevered through it all and came across the finish line with 50+ people there cheering him on! :-)
Old 05-18-09, 10:05 AM
gearhead.ny
Huntington, NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdrcr5
For anyone that saw the guy with the handbike, he completed the ride in about 12.5 hours! That bridge and hills killed him but he persevered through it all and came across the finish line with 50+ people there cheering him on! :-)
Thats great to hear. Thanks for the info spdrcr5
Old 05-18-09, 11:05 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
I just talked to Diane. Just East of Sayville there was a Team in Training Van that had stopped to help a rider. It was parked facing the wrong direction on the side of the road. Diane told me that it was as far off the road as it could get, stopped with the engine off. They were working on a bike behind the van.

A male rider rode into the van at full speed. She said he didn't even stop pedaling. She estimated 15 to 18 mph at impact.

She said that he had a fractured cheek bone that was protruding through the skin and his arm was broken with bone showing through at the elbow. He was also unconscious.

She didn't know anything else.
After reading this I contacted everyone from my Chapter (Long Island) who was involved with the event because this disturbed me. I had heard about someone getting hit by a car, but had not heard the entire story in any detail. One of the people I spoke with is the Director of Team in Training for Long Island. She said that none of the chapters that participated in the 5BBC Montauk Century had any TNT Vans at the event and nobody from any chapter reported any sort of accident(s) with their vehicles.

Could you ask Diane why she thought it was a TNT Van?

Thanks.

Larry
Old 05-18-09, 12:23 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdrcr5
After reading this I contacted everyone from my Chapter (Long Island) who was involved with the event because this disturbed me. I had heard about someone getting hit by a car, but had not heard the entire story in any detail. One of the people I spoke with is the Director of Team in Training for Long Island. She said that none of the chapters that participated in the 5BBC Montauk Century had any TNT Vans at the event and nobody from any chapter reported any sort of accident(s) with their vehicles.

Could you ask Diane why she thought it was a TNT Van?

Thanks.

Larry
I was with her. The driver who got out of the car was wearing a TNT jersey and if I'm not mistaken at least one other passenger was as well. Her vehicle was packed with bags seeming to indicate that she was with TNT in some sort of support capacity. I believe it was a dark colored mini van, possibly an SUV (they all look the same these days) with a full-back hatch. I will spare you a description of the driver, but I will tell you that she had no features that would permit you to determine her identity.

A few points on the accident as well. She was driving down the road, far to her right, almost on the grass, fairly slowly (can't attest to the 15-18 mph but I can tell you that I could have beat the car easily in a race), when it happened. The street was a thinly travelled side street. When the driver got out of her car, she was level-headed and seemed, to the untrained eye, to have been around (if not involved in) this sort of thing before. The rider was, prior to that time, riding well and not acting out of the ordinary (I had been near and around him several times during the day). I believe medics were on scene within about 5 minutes.

Given the woman's demeanor I would be shocked if she hadn't stuck around until the police showed up, beyond that, I don't know.

I hope all involved are ok, but I can tell you that the young man in the accident seemed to have a compound fracture of one of his orbital bones, anything else would be a guess on my part.
Old 05-18-09, 01:42 PM
exRunner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Anthony, I must have mis-understood Diane yesterday.

Mark
Old 05-18-09, 01:46 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
Wow. We barely had any rain at the Bloomin' Metric. Just a few drops around 10 am. The sun even came out for a few minutes later.
I had registered for the Bloomin' metric but bailed on it becasue i was sick.
Thank me for not making it because if i had, it would have poured.
Old 05-19-09, 08:09 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
I was with her. The driver who got out of the car was wearing a TNT jersey and if I'm not mistaken at least one other passenger was as well. Her vehicle was packed with bags seeming to indicate that she was with TNT in some sort of support capacity. I believe it was a dark colored mini van, possibly an SUV (they all look the same these days) with a full-back hatch. I will spare you a description of the driver, but I will tell you that she had no features that would permit you to determine her identity.

A few points on the accident as well. She was driving down the road, far to her right, almost on the grass, fairly slowly (can't attest to the 15-18 mph but I can tell you that I could have beat the car easily in a race), when it happened. The street was a thinly travelled side street. When the driver got out of her car, she was level-headed and seemed, to the untrained eye, to have been around (if not involved in) this sort of thing before. The rider was, prior to that time, riding well and not acting out of the ordinary (I had been near and around him several times during the day). I believe medics were on scene within about 5 minutes.

Given the woman's demeanor I would be shocked if she hadn't stuck around until the police showed up, beyond that, I don't know.

I hope all involved are ok, but I can tell you that the young man in the accident seemed to have a compound fracture of one of his orbital bones, anything else would be a guess on my part.
Thanks, appreciate the info on the accident. Just trying to figure out what happened and who was involved and if they were from TNT or a family member/friend of someone participating with TNT.
Old 05-19-09, 12:40 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to marshall the 145, but family issues took precident. Since Glenn moved his Montauk ride to August, maybe the 5BBC could shift their version of the ride into June. The few times I've done the 5BBC version 3 times, twice there was rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.