Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What bars do you run and why?!

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What bars do you run and why?!

Old 06-25-09, 09:45 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cut flat bar, risers, track drops, road bars, bullhorn, mustache, and pursuit bar. different tools for different jobs.
Old 06-25-09, 09:49 AM
sibaudio

Bikes: 09 Mercier Kilo TT, 2006 Fuji Track Pro, 2005 Scott Speedster S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use the cheap profile airwing bullhorns. thinking about the easton delta force ones (pictured below) with the flat tops like i have on my roadbike (fsa wingpros) I love bullhorns on my fixed gear.. originally had drops but with no brake hood position climbing was annoying. bullhorns are perfect. i use 42cm

just don't think i'd be able to fit my cane creek crosstop lever on there before it flattens out. especially without having a problem with the stem getting in the way. anyone running that setup with wing shaped tops with a cross style / two finger lever / whatever you want to call it??
Old 06-25-09, 09:50 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love my Nitto RB-009 bullhorns with Fi:zi'k bar tape and Cinelli gel pads. Been using this bike for training instead of my road bike the last few weeks.

Cockpit contains my Garmin Edge 705 mounted to the bars, plus Cane Creek 200TT levers.
Old 06-25-09, 10:02 AM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like all handlebars. Currently, I have risers on my fixed gear bike (with a Cetma 3-rail rack mounted on there), flip & chops on my geared road bike, cruiser bars on my tandem, and wider risers on my tallbike.
Old 06-25-09, 10:56 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love bullhorns and road drops w/ hoods. Since I don't use a rear brake on my FG, though, I stick to the bullhorns w/ a TT brake lever.

I have tried the TranzX cheap bullhorns from Ben's and they were actually pretty good. Right now, I am running the Profile Design Air Wing bars and they are AMAZING. so many good hand positions. Also, they internally route your brake lever cable, so that is a really nice added bonus. And they're light.

EDIT: As far as tape goes, I used to LOVE Fizik Microtex, but I think the new recipe sucks. It used to have a more leathery feel w/ perforated holes, but now it is like suede. It's really thin, so in order to have any padding you have to get the one w/ the gel inserts which is reall expensive.

Now, I run the gel griptape from Performance. 9 bucks and it's as comfy as any grip tape I have ever used.
Old 06-25-09, 11:06 AM
exhumed

Bikes: 09 Giant TCR Advanced 3, 05 Felt TK2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anotomic bend Felt carbon road drops with Tektro RL520 brake levers and Fizik tape. Have a Blackburn Flea front light and Cateye Strada Cadence computer.
Old 06-25-09, 01:00 PM
Kranica

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
40 cm RB-021 with a tektro rx4.1 for up front. all wrapped up in brooks tape. good times...good times
Old 06-25-09, 01:05 PM
pompadork
anhedonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding Nitto b-125aas (with delicious toshi cloth~) but for street riding I found it pretty overkill to have these NJS bars where I rarely ride the drops, so I got a pair of $16 zoom risers from an lbs that I put some strong v grips on.
Old 06-25-09, 01:10 PM
@work
Local 1212

Bikes: Moser Track, Colnago Dream Track, Merckx Roadie and Rossin Bar Bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Jamie roy - answer pro taper chopped to around 42cm, oury grips, 90mm Thomson elite.
Vigorelli - 40cm deda velocita track drops, cinelli bar tape, 90mm thomson road stem
Old 06-25-09, 01:14 PM
oneangrytoast
its that damned rap music

Bikes: Kilo TT, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Shogun 600 ~1983

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was going to put flat bars on my gf's bike, but i have no personal experience on them. will she hate them? do they put your wrist in a bad position or something?
Old 06-25-09, 01:20 PM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Because they are the best.
Old 06-25-09, 01:32 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I switch between Nemesis Project risers, cut down to 19" and 42cm Origin 8 bullhorns.

I like my risers because I was a longtime BMX guy and they're comfortable for me and I did the 'horns because they look and feel badass.

Old 06-25-09, 01:48 PM
obstacle
-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitto Noodles. I like the bend, the shoulders have a nice flat'ness too them - which is nice when you don't have brake hoods and the sweep on the top is nice on the hands.
Old 06-25-09, 03:38 PM
chase.
out of shape

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
felt— B125AAs 36cm, 600 tricolour hoods, fizik tape.
stratos— mavic pursuit 42cm, fizik tape.
Old 06-25-09, 03:49 PM
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER

Bikes: Kilo TT custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneangrytoast
i was going to put flat bars on my gf's bike, but i have no personal experience on them. will she hate them? do they put your wrist in a bad position or something?

Flat bar and risers are fine. Hell most the people I see riding drops and bullhorns ride the top anyway. It's just they offer very little versatility in hand positions, which makes them uncomfortable after riding for any period of time. Also make sure you don't cut them too short...
Old 06-25-09, 03:59 PM
Cy Trivialities
shtface

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
EDIT: As far as tape goes, I used to LOVE Fizik Microtex, but I think the new recipe sucks. It used to have a more leathery feel w/ perforated holes, but now it is like suede. It's really thin, so in order to have any padding you have to get the one w/ the gel inserts which is reall expensive.
there are two versions of fizik microtex. the one with a leathery feel is the regular one. the other is called soft touch, with a suede texture.

they still make both.
Old 06-25-09, 04:16 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nitto b125's and origin8 bullhorns with profile clip ons. track drops aren't exactly ideal for commuting, but they're not that bad. the bullhorns are nice, but the stem i have them on are too long.
Old 06-25-09, 05:13 PM
barspinmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
risers! DUH!

WHY? wells o i can bar spin of course. plus they're awesome looking!
Old 06-25-09, 05:29 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with drops(came stock on the bike) never used the drops, chopped them, used that for a few months, used flat bars for a few months, bought drops, used those for awhile then sold them, used flats for awhile again, now back to the chop and flops.

Since most of my riding is in the city, the chop and flops have been ideal. Last summer when i was doing longer rides I was loving the drops but i ddn't have time for long rides once school started back up. Flats were alright on my ride to class/work but sucked on the way home because it was all uphill and they weren't great for climbing.

I'm thinking of putting the flats back on the Mark V as my around town bike now that my commute is flat for the most part and i'm building a geared roadie for anytihng outside of town.
Old 06-25-09, 05:42 PM
inertiadreamer

Bikes: Masi & Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding my Deda track drops for a while now, and use every hand position on it. I actually like riding the curve part that most people find a weird angle, but to each their own. It just offers more for whether I'm riding in traffic, climbing, or sprinting. Which is why risers/flat bars I just can't get into, but I am going to be trying out some bullhorns this weekend so who knows I could convert.
Old 06-25-09, 05:51 PM
i2oss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can anyone suggest some flatbars for more technical/trick oriented riding?
Old 06-25-09, 06:04 PM
murdaki11
lockedcog.com

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 08, Trek 1500 06, Felt tk2 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nitto pursuit bars because they are fast!
Old 06-25-09, 06:59 PM
Dandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently switched from nitto b125 to some profile airwing TT bars and it's pretty good. I just wish the end were taller and more curved.
Old 06-25-09, 08:38 PM
passerby

Bikes: 08 Schwinn Madison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looooooooooove my nitto rb021's!!
Old 06-25-09, 09:34 PM
palladio

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried everything from drops to flat to risers. Most of my riding is in NYC traffic and I used to swear by risers for a more upright position and visibility. About a month ago I built up a new bike with some cheapo $15 bullhorns with some reach. More than chop n flop, but less than true TT bars. I love em. Lots of hand positions, and they completely rock up hills when I can stretch out and pull back on the ends for leverage. I have a cross lever by the stem, but I find myself more and more riding out on the ends of the bars. It think my ideal setup would be some longer bullhorns with a TT lever at one of the ends. Haven't set that up yet, but I think my bikes will all be getting this setup soon.

The cool thing about bullhorns is that you can get aero if you reach out when you need to into a headwind. You can also cruise on the tops or in the middle. But the leverage the ends offer is far better to me than being in drops or on hoods when you need it up a hill or in a sprint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.