Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

long island north shore rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 10:22 AM
hansel

Bikes: '09 BMC roadracer, CAAD3, CAAD4,'88 Steel Custom, F moser track bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anybody know some good areas to ride on the north shore of li ny? possibly twords Huntington or by there? im on the south shore, i need some hills..
Old 07-30-09, 11:00 AM
Farby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
there are some pretty steep hills in the President Streets section of Centerport. They are not that long though. From Northport through centerport into huntington if you go north of 25A you should find some hills.
Old 07-30-09, 11:37 AM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Bikes: Trek 5200, Yeti Kokopelli, Clockwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have put together many routes, they are all under the same user name on MapMyRide. I am the Nassau County Team in Training coach so I am always leading people out on rides.

You can find cue sheets on the Huntington Bike Club, SBRA, Massapequa Park Bike Club sites.

I put together a 30 mile ride with 6 of the main hills in that area including the steepest hill on the Island; Mill Hill (26% grade), fun ride. :-)
Old 07-30-09, 11:47 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdrcr5
I have put together many routes, they are all under the same user name on MapMyRide. I am the Nassau County Team in Training coach so I am always leading people out on rides.

You can find cue sheets on the Huntington Bike Club, SBRA, Massapequa Park Bike Club sites.

I put together a 30 mile ride with 6 of the main hills in that area including the steepest hill on the Island; Mill Hill (26% grade), fun ride. :-)
Hope you don't mind if I steal your work. I usually either head out on my own and make decisions as they come to me, or ride with others who make the choice. I am having some friends come out and it would be nice to give them an idea of where we are going before we take off.

Side note - are you usually at Syosset train station on Sunday mornings? I ride out of there with Bionic Bill fairly often.
Old 07-30-09, 12:02 PM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Hope you don't mind if I steal your work. I usually either head out on my own and make decisions as they come to me, or ride with others who make the choice. I am having some friends come out and it would be nice to give them an idea of where we are going before we take off.

Side note - are you usually at Syosset train station on Sunday mornings? I ride out of there with Bionic Bill fairly often.
Yup, ride there every Sunday. I know Bionic Bill quite well, have ridden many hundreds of miles with him. I drive the orange Honda Element. Going to CA this weekend so won't be riding.

Steal whatever you want, there are 50+ rides there and I have even more to create for the rest of the season.
Old 07-30-09, 12:14 PM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check the regional forums -

also the thread below about waterfront routes in LI.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=562891
Old 07-30-09, 01:03 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive the orange Honda Element.
Yellow Jeep for me, but lately I have taken to riding there from Bayville and meeting him there, typically show up in an Iowa Hawkeyes jersey.

Thanks for the routes. Maybe I'll see you in two weeks.

P.S. Have you tried Capital Heights in Oyster Bay? Intersection of Lexington and Tooker Avenues. Do that, then make a right at the bottom of the other side, make your first left and the next left and you are pointed right at Mill Hill before your heart rate has settled.

Last edited by island rider; 07-30-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 01:13 PM
spdrcr5
Road, MTB and SS Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yellow Jeep for me, but lately I have taken to riding there from Bayville and meeting him there, typically show up in an Iowa Hawkeyes jersey.

Thanks for the routes. Maybe I'll see you in two weeks.

P.S. Have you tried Capital Heights in Oyster Bay? Intersection of Lexington and Tooker Avenues. Do that, then make a right at the bottom of the other side, make your first left and the next left and you are pointed right at Mill Hill before your heart rate has settled.
I have taken Lexington to Shore, but never hit Capital Heights before. I will have to check that road, is it a nice hill?
Old 07-30-09, 01:18 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have taken Lexington to Shore, but never hit Capital Heights before. I will have to check that road, is it a nice hill?
Mill Hill's younger brother. You can turn right after about 50 yards and make it easier (I forget the name of the road) but they form a circle. Everyone likes Mill because it's right on the W. Shore route everyone takes, but Capital isn't that far out of the way.
Old 07-30-09, 09:03 PM
hansel

Bikes: '09 BMC roadracer, CAAD3, CAAD4,'88 Steel Custom, F moser track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like a good ride. what about massapequa club? i was thinking about just jumping on one of their rides. do you know where they meet in massapequa?
Old 07-30-09, 09:34 PM
pinwheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 mile loop around huntington area
I knocked some points off the ends to avoid broadcasting my address,

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...34926&t=h&z=13

I have a similar ride that goes up townline road on the east side and cuts out the cold spring harbor part on the west. ends up about the same distance.

on weekends, I go past sunken meadow and out to east seatuket, ends up being 70 miles. I don't think I have that ride as a google link. just as a file in my garmin.
Old 07-30-09, 10:21 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at some of spdrcr5's routes. (I also know the some of the routes his group rides, having seen them on the road.) You should try them. You can go as challenging or easy as you want, the scenery is nice and the traffic is (generally) light.
Old 07-31-09, 12:17 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the LIBC groups sometimes stop at the Syosset Fire House, which is pretty much next door to the train station, at around 9:40am or so on Saturday and Sunday mornings. i used to ride with their B group two years ago, and at least half of the rides i went on with them stopped there to pick up other riders...
Old 07-31-09, 12:22 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hansel
sounds like a good ride. what about massapequa club? i was thinking about just jumping on one of their rides. do you know where they meet in massapequa?
the MPBC meets at the Bethpage Library parking lot, at 8:30am Saturday and Sunday mornings. take 135 to Exit 8, go west on Powell Avenue, the lot will be on your right hand side after a stop sign or two...

do a search for Bethpage on MotionBased, and you will find a good amount of rides from MPBC members, a lot of which are actually good routes...

Last edited by FIVE ONE SIX; 07-31-09 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 07:31 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride from the South Shore (Five Towns) up to King's Point where there are some nice hills along the way.

It's 35+ miles round trip. If you want the route, let me know.
Old 07-31-09, 07:36 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I grew up near Huntington Harbor. Go to the very bottom of 110 and take the continuation of that along the harbor out through Wyncoma. Beautiful area and not very crowded.
Old 07-31-09, 08:14 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
the LIBC groups sometimes stop at the Syosset Fire House, which is pretty much next door to the train station, at around 9:40am or so on Saturday and Sunday mornings. i used to ride with their B group two years ago, and at least half of the rides i went on with them stopped there to pick up other riders...
If you want to ride with people on a Saturday or Sunday in Nassau county, just hang around syosset firehouse. Guaranteed there will be a group stopping in or leaving from there sometime between 7am and 9am. (Just don't scratch my car, ok?) The added bonus is that the Firehouse lets you use their facilities for water, bathroom, etc.

The LIBC rides start from Westbury High School on Post Ave at between 8:30 and 9 as I recall. (Nice people, but they start too damn late. I need a ride that starts at 6:30 or 7. Get out and get back in the cool morning air then enjoy the rest of my day.)
Old 07-31-09, 08:39 AM
eMwolB
Tri Fixed Road

Bikes: Litespeed, Kestrel, KHS, Pinarello, GT, Mustang, Giant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do not wish to hi-jack this thread but does anyone know a bike-safe route from Manhattan to the Hamptons/Montauk? It's been many many years since I've done the ride and would like to do it next week.
I can get my way to either 495 service road or Sunrise Hwy...I recall having some trouble along 27...help?
Old 07-31-09, 09:34 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The LIBC rides start from Westbury High School on Post Ave at between 8:30 and 9 as I recall.
they actually start at 9:00am in the summer and 9:30am when it gets colder, which is why most people that i know don't ride with them, because they usually don't get back to the lot until around 1:30pm or so...

Originally Posted by eMwolB
I do not wish to hi-jack this thread but does anyone know a bike-safe route from Manhattan to the Hamptons/Montauk? It's been many many years since I've done the ride and would like to do it next week.
I can get my way to either 495 service road or Sunrise Hwy...I recall having some trouble along 27...help?
do a search on MotionBased for Montauk Century, and you should have a fair amount of routes to choose from. the Montauk Century, that i believe takes place some time in May every year, has a 145 mile route from Penn Station to Montauk.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/802565

i'm pretty sure the route isn't blocked off at any point at all during the entire ride, so i don't see why it wouldn't be bike safe. just keep in mind that the rider in the route i posted stopped at 2 rest stops, so unless you map out the ride yourself and bypass them, you may run into a lot or dead end that could have been a rest stop during the ride. all in all, the route above looks as good as you will find, without having an actual cue sheet from the ride itself. if you want to continue from the east most point of the route to the Montauk Lighthouse, add about 11 miles to the light house and back to the Montauk train station, then take the LIRR home...

and not for nothing, but the rider that posted the ride is really strong and averaged over 21mph (with only 2 stops i may add) for the 145 mile ride. i would trust his route...
Old 07-31-09, 09:40 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
If you want to ride the best Nassau and western Suffolk County have to offer, just follow the Gold Coast Century route. I've never ridden the official ride, but every July the route is freshly marked (GC with an arrow). The symbols are painted on the roads everywhere, you can't miss em. I have no idea where it officially starts, but I usually catch the GC arrows in Old Westbury and follow them from there. If you aren't up for 100 miles you can divide it up into a number of sub-loops and ride parts of it. There is another 100K ride that takes place every spring that starts near Seacliff, marked with a circled "K". You can miss those arrows either. Much of the GC route and circled K route overlap. Both are well designed routes meander all over the north shore, and keep you, for the most part, on scenic lightly traveled roads. The GC route includes many of the best hills of LI, and takes you near other good hills (such as Mill Hill in Oyster Bay) that you can easily add.

Last edited by mihlbach; 07-31-09 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 09:50 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^^ Yup. I do this often. The roads they use are the most popular around here anyway.
Old 07-31-09, 10:43 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of group rides further west on the south shore???
Old 07-31-09, 10:43 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mihlbach
The symbols are painted on the roads everywhere, you can't miss em. I have no idea where it officially starts,
It starts at the BAE Systems parking lot on Polaski Road. You leave out of the East end of the lot and turn North. All of the markings are GC and an arrow (and a number if it is for a specific distance). We just remarked it last month for the event, and they were very clear on Saturday when the club road a little of the course.

The HBC rides out of the Smith Street Parking Lot in Green Lawn every Saturday and Sunday at 8 am. We have 4 skill groups. Every group but the C group rides the hills on the North shore. Most of the group leaders arrange the course so they hit the hills hard out bound, then ease up (and speed up) on the ride back to the lot.
Old 08-01-09, 10:33 AM
pinwheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
If you want to ride the best Nassau and western Suffolk County have to offer, just follow the Gold Coast Century route. I've never ridden the official ride, but every July the route is freshly marked (GC with an arrow). The symbols are painted on the roads everywhere, you can't miss em. I have no idea where it officially starts, but I usually catch the GC arrows in Old Westbury and follow them from there. If you aren't up for 100 miles you can divide it up into a number of sub-loops and ride parts of it. There is another 100K ride that takes place every spring that starts near Seacliff, marked with a circled "K". You can miss those arrows either. Much of the GC route and circled K route overlap. Both are well designed routes meander all over the north shore, and keep you, for the most part, on scenic lightly traveled roads. The GC route includes many of the best hills of LI, and takes you near other good hills (such as Mill Hill in Oyster Bay) that you can easily add.
start is northbound on Cuba Hill road from the intersection of Pulaski rd. it is between 2 groups of BAE buildings, not to the east of them. The 100 mile course is the toughest I have ever done but a very neat route.

this is a map someone logged (not me)
https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6237272