Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tandem 'Bent

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tandem 'Bent

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 07:23 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem 'Bent

I just wanted to say I saw two people on a tandem 'bent during my commute home yesterday. They were slow and having problems riding in a straight line, but I imagine that sort of thing takes a lot of practice! Looked like fun.

This was on the Island Line Trail north of Burlington, VT.
Old 06-22-05, 09:52 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh, newbies I guess. Or maybe one of them had an inner ear infection.
Old 06-22-05, 08:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The captain's configuration on a Screamer is so similar to my V-Rex that when I test rode a Screamer, I was rock-steady even on takeoff. Made the owner jealous. Some bent riders just never learn how to ride a straight line; for which I blame them, not the bike.
Old 06-23-05, 09:32 AM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Vision R44 SWB above seat steering and I also have a Vision R84 tandem. They both are very simular and I'm rock solid on both of them and enjoying them very much.
Old 06-23-05, 12:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It would probably be safe to say that a bent rider will never be *quite* as steady as a good DF rider. That's because the bent rider can't use body english to smooth out the small oscillations that are inherent to 2-wheelers. But bents can get to a point where there's no practical difference.
Old 06-24-05, 09:58 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I could never ride a really straight line on my DF either but I'm no worse on the 'bent. Also could never trackstand on the DF no matter how much I practiced. I guess I'm just "balance challenged".
Old 06-24-05, 08:41 PM
bentbaggerlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What make tandem was it? The wife and I passed though their last wek on tour.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 06-24-05, 09:57 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentbaggerlen
What make tandem was it? The wife and I passed though their last week on tour.
Gosh... I don't know... Sorry. It would have been around 4:20PM though.

Don't see many recumbents around here though. They do look like fun. Does anyone ride in the winter?
Old 06-25-05, 01:04 PM
bentbaggerlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we ride in the winter. We use or bike(s) for running to the store, draging home the X-mass tree, etc. I know that it was not the wife and myself, I was just wondering what brand it was.

If you had seen us we were on our Longbikes Gulfstream. It's hard to miss as it's bright yellow and has a 106" wheel base, with a complete set of bags the bike is hard to miss.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 07-01-05, 07:25 AM
dexnjan

Bikes: Vision R40, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Wife and I bought a Rans Screamer recumbent tandem a little over a year ago. An injury not related to biking kept me from riding bike until last fall.
There is a period of getting used to the steering and learning to be compatable while riding together on a tandem. I find that when I communicate my intentions it really helps.
We love our tandem and ride mostly on converted rail to trail locations here in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The tandem is great for easy conversation and it is a great equalizer to keep couples of varying power and ability riding together. My Wife no longer complains of her "rear" getting tired and sore. She likes the riding position and not having to worry about gear changing. Where she used to ride about 15 miles and be ready to quit, she now can ride 30 miles with only a short break or two for a brief rest.
The tandem is quite long (about 9 feet) and we solved the transportation problem by building a special low-cost 2-wheel trailer to haul the tandem. Works nicely and we have the rest of the car to haul other people and gear.
Regards - Dex and Jan Henschel