Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbutt******************************?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 11:46 AM
cjscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok guys what the heeeckk is recumbutt********************?
Old 06-22-05, 01:28 PM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbutt is a sore butt caused by riding in an upright position that puts most of the body weight on the posterior. Some people get it, some don't. Sometimes all that is necessary to cure recumbutt is to increase the seat recline which allows more weight to be trasferred from the posterior to the back. Also seat type/configuration may be a contributing factor as well.
Old 06-22-05, 03:24 PM
JohnH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bnet1 said, with the added comment that most people have to ride at least an hour before it appears - hence my common advice to folks who are looking to take a *long* test-ride of at least an hour on any 'bent you're seriously considering. If it crops up, recline the seat and try again/ride some more. Any good shop will expect this and be happy to oblige you.

Note: Some riders, much more experienced than I, state that a few weeks of regular riding will acclimate your body and recumbutt will go away. I know I was recently running the seat on my new 'bent fairly upright and found some truth in that assertion. I got better-fitting handlebars, reclined the seat to where I like it, and it's no longer an issue.
Old 06-22-05, 08:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just to expand on bnet1's explanation, recumbutt is sore glutes. It feels sort of like cramps in your butt muscles. As bnet wrote, it's usually caused by putting too much of your weight on the muscles that are working, and can be exacerbated by having a hard/stiff/firm seat cushion. Most sufferers find relief by reclining more. The best temporary solution if you get it during a ride is to take a butt break and walk it off. Unlike being saddlesore, recumbutt won't be with you for the next 3 days.
Old 06-23-05, 02:44 PM
bentcruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Just to expand on bnet1's explanation, recumbutt is sore glutes. It feels sort of like cramps in your butt muscles. As bnet wrote, it's usually caused by putting too much of your weight on the muscles that are working, and can be exacerbated by having a hard/stiff/firm seat cushion. Most sufferers find relief by reclining more. The best temporary solution if you get it during a ride is to take a butt break and walk it off. Unlike being saddlesore, recumbutt won't be with you for the next 3 days.
Recumbutt also seems to be specific to certain bikes whether it is seating position or seat. But more importantly, it is probably more on a per rider basis rather than a larger generality. I never liked my original Burley seat. I got pain a lot. But with the RANS seat base, life is good.
Old 06-24-05, 06:14 PM
Wheel Doctor
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever sit in a movie theater chair for 3/4 hours. Similar but worde since on a recumbent you use your glutes more and your sitting on them. Everyone is different. I ride a number of different recumbents. I use the RANS minimilist seat on my GIRO which is ridden fairly upright when compared to my AERO which is maxlaidback. Seats are soooo personal and although the RANS and the Bacchetta seats are very comfortable for most som e hate em'. I personally forun the Vision seat OK, but I have problems with most sling type seats ala Rotator, Halazuak and uck to the Catrike seat and me.

RecumbentButt, you'll know it when you experience it.
Old 06-25-05, 08:01 AM
cjscott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm hoping to try a couple bikes out first, I guess from everyone that may be my best bet. I'm thinking of also getting the smaller rans seat I see they sell bc being only 5 ft 1-2" I noticed on the EZ bikes, the seat was so large it felt somewhat uncomfortable for me to sit on, but I liked the bike itself (and the price!) hehe. Thanks again for all the feedback. ) CJ