Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Pannier question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortlieb Pannier question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 04:21 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ortlieb Pannier question

I'm looking at the Orlieb panniers for a tour next summer. I notice two styles, one has a roller top, the other more of a flap. Seems to me, having to roll it up would be a bit of a hassle, but those seem popular.
What are the pros and cons of each style? And what would be your preference?
Old 12-15-18, 06:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have used my Ortlieb roller type panniers since 2009, both front and rear. Not a hassle at all.The roller type ones work well with a pannier that is less than full, as you can roll the top over a few more times to take up the excess volume. You get used to squeezing out most of the air for a few seconds before you start to roll them.

I have not used Ortleb brand ones with a flap on top but I have used other brands that had a flap on top. I had less luck at closing up a pannier that was less than full when it had a flap on top, the flap often would not fit quite right.

Ortlieb makes two types of roller ones, the City version and the regular version, mine are the regular that have a strap that goes over the top. A friend of mine uses the City version. Both of us are happy with our choices. The City version are a bit lighter but lack a few things that you find on the regular version.

But for the past two decades I have been using a backpack for canoe trips that had a roller top made by SealLine and I use a lot of dry bags for kayaking that have a roller closure, so I am used to that type of closure. I also have a couple day packs that have a roller closure. So maybe it is personal preference.
Old 12-15-18, 07:37 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
My wife and I choose to go with the "flap" model called the Backpacker I believe. I like the outside pockets for quick access to certain items.
Old 12-15-18, 09:17 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
From what I understand, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong. The rollers are more waterproof than the flap style.
I, too thought the rollers would be inconvenient, but once you get used to them, it's just like .....riding a bike
Old 12-15-18, 09:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with the cap (bike Packer) under it is a drawstring + you have 2 snaps,
back roller, you have 2 a M/F pair of buckles to snap to each other or add the shoulder strap .
I use these often for my Grocery runs,,
simpler, lower cost, the Roller City the F part of the buckle is in the edge ,sides of the bag

sold as an each are; the shopper, a waterproof zip closure,, velo shopper a single magnetic closure flap

Bike tourer has 1 center flap closure buckle, and the external pocket

so more than A or B choices...

https://www.ortlieb.com/us/products/bike-bags
Now, in many bags now 3 different fabric options + many colors..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-15-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 12:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Five members of our family use Ortlieb Panniers; four use the Back Roller Classics and one uses the Bike-Packer Plus series.

My wife uses, and really like her Bike-Packer Plus bags. She believes they are easier to get into when mounted on the bike and the outside pocket is handy. However, the fabric fades with extended use. She has toured using her 11 year old bags for a total of 20 months. They are still waterproof, and despite some hard use are in good condition.

I prefer the Roller Classic bags. My perception, with no physical evidence, is that the Classic 's material is more durable, and it does not fade very much. Rolling the top is not an issue. Our 2 daughters us the Back Rollers Classic panniers, and don't have any problems with them, except loading them to full capacity

I believe the style of pannier used just comes down to personal preference. The average bike tourist would be hard pressed to wear out a set of Ortlieb Panniers.

I think the only time the Bike-Packer panniers' " waterproofness" would be tested is if you washed them like this. However, it may not be an issue if you did it carefully. We were washing the mud off after riding through an area of The Calgary flood a few years ago.

Notice how much the Packer Plus series bar bag, second from right, has faded compared to the Classic bag on the far right. Both bags are about 11 years old. The Packer Plus bags on the left are about 3-4 years old.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-15-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 12:47 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
My wife and I have done a lot of touring with the 'flip top'. Her Ortlieb has a bigger outside pocket. My pack has a tight to the pack and mesh cover. Recently, only used once so far, I added pockets to the side of the pack. The picture from Ortlieb makes it look like a pack vs a pocket https://ortliebusa.com/product/outer-bag-s/ . With the new pocket I added , I am very happy with the flip top model I use. I was happy before but this I like more. I do not believe you can add the pocket to the roller. But, I have seen a ton of rollers during our tours.

If you elect to add the pocket, there is a great youtube that really helped me when I added it. It is worth getting as many tips as possible as you only have one chance to do it right since you need to punch a hole to attach the pocket.
Old 12-15-18, 01:26 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 96 Posts
I added the pocket to the backrollers, actually.

My report: I have used the roller models front and rear for at least 20 years. The bags are still going strong. I have never had an issue with leaks, and the roller is easy to adjust for different loads.
Old 12-15-18, 01:46 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The biggest advantage IMO to the roll top is that when closed, it provides an obvious handle for the pannier. The flap top tempts you to either carry it in the strap for the rack clasp mechanism (which makes it hang at a slant) or forces you to bring out the shoulder strap (which has to be tucked away prior to each ride).
I wouldn’t worry about water ingress into the flap tops.
I commute 6000+ miles/year, and I haven’t encountered a weather bad enough to make it past the flap yet.
Basically, common sense, self-preservation, comfort issues will most likely have made you seek shelter before the flap tops let you down.
Old 12-15-18, 01:58 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have used my Ortlieb roller type panniers since 2009, both front and rear. Not a hassle at all.The roller type ones work well with a pannier that is less than full, as you can roll the top over a few more times to take up the excess volume. You get used to squeezing out most of the air for a few seconds before you start to roll them.

I have not used Ortleb brand ones with a flap on top but I have used other brands that had a flap on top. I had less luck at closing up a pannier that was less than full when it had a flap on top, the flap often would not fit quite right.

Ortlieb makes two types of roller ones, the City version and the regular version, mine are the regular that have a strap that goes over the top. A friend of mine uses the City version. Both of us are happy with our choices. The City version are a bit lighter but lack a few things that you find on the regular version.

But for the past two decades I have been using a backpack for canoe trips that had a roller top made by SealLine and I use a lot of dry bags for kayaking that have a roller closure, so I am used to that type of closure. I also have a couple day packs that have a roller closure. So maybe it is personal preference.

The flip top type can be compressed pretty well too when not filled. But I would say the roll top have advantages the other way around when the bag is full. I have done tours with just one flip top type and if you need to stuff something extra in an already near filled bag it can be a challenge to close.

I bought the flip type because I was told they have easier access but I don't see much of a difference. As far as being waterproof the flip top does just fine. But if you want to do more advanced touring like crossing waist deep streams you might want to consider the roll type.
Old 12-15-18, 02:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

The campground I stayed at after the day I rode on this muddy road had showers outside, which was convenient because that is where I washed off my Ortliebs.

My handlebar bag was not an Ortlieb, two years later and I still have mud caked on it from that day.
Old 12-16-18, 05:39 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I can vouch for the durability of the material used in the classic rollers. I have use one of my front rollers on my daily commute for the past six years and other than a few scuffs, it looks as good as the day it was new. Also, perfectly waterproof.
Old 12-16-18, 08:30 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I can vouch for the durability of the material used in the classic rollers. I have use one of my front rollers on my daily commute for the past six years and other than a few scuffs, it looks as good as the day it was new. Also, perfectly waterproof.
Classic Bike Packer and Rollers are the same material.
Old 12-16-18, 07:17 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have a set of Bikepacker's for the rear (not the plus model) and front rollers. I fancy the flip-top ones over the rollers because they seem easier to get in and out of to me.
Old 12-17-18, 09:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
I have a set of Bikepacker's for the rear (not the plus model) and front rollers. I fancy the flip-top ones over the rollers because they seem easier to get in and out of to me.
+1. I have Packers (Plus) front and rear. Makes pulling out and stowing things line rain gear and extra layers easy.
Old 12-17-18, 10:02 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I used the rollers on two tours in the past. I bought the flaps recently, because they were too cheap to pass up at an REI garage sale, but have yet to give them a go. Really, my biggest selling point was not the tops, but the external pockets.

I have no qualms about using the flaps, but I really had no reason to change from the rollers except finding a set of like-new $250 panniers for $48. I doubt, short of tossing the bags in a river, waterproofness is an advantage either way.
Old 12-17-18, 11:59 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I used the rollers on two tours in the past. I bought the flaps recently, because they were too cheap to pass up at an REI garage sale, but have yet to give them a go. Really, my biggest selling point was not the tops, but the external pockets.

I have no qualms about using the flaps, but I really had no reason to change from the rollers except finding a set of like-new $250 panniers for $48. I doubt, short of tossing the bags in a river, waterproofness is an advantage either way.
Wow! that was a find! What was wrong with them? Just slightly used? Wonder why REI would have them.
Old 12-17-18, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
REI used to have a euphemism..' Return Everything Indefinitely,' but now they limit the time you can bring things back for a full refund..

Old 12-17-18, 12:49 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Wow! that was a find! What was wrong with them? Just slightly used? Wonder why REI would have them.
If you look very carefully, you can see the stitching on the bit that the drawstring restricts inside of slightly wanders for about two inches (look at the black and lighter grey seam). No practical effect on the functionality whatsoever.

Old 12-17-18, 01:29 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

If you look very carefully, you can see the stitching on the bit that the drawstring restricts inside of slightly wanders for about two inches (look at the black and lighter grey seam). No practical effect on the functionality whatsoever.

Horrible! You reallu got ripped off at $45. But I will take them off of your hands and save you from your mistake. I am just that kind of guy.
Old 12-17-18, 01:52 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Horrible! You reallu got ripped off at $45. But I will take them off of your hands and save you from your mistake. I am just that kind of guy.
So nice of you! If I am quite honest, even though the tag said bad stitching, me and the store employee looked for 10 min to find the flaw, we couldn't and I just assumed it was some kucklehead excuse to return, and it wasn't til three days later I finally noticed it. Some great deals to be had at the Garage Sale, this doesn't even top the list.
Old 12-17-18, 05:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

... , even though the tag said bad stitching, me and the store employee looked for 10 min to find the flaw, we couldn't and I just assumed it was some kucklehead excuse to return, and it wasn't til three days later I finally noticed it. Some great deals to be had at the Garage Sale, this doesn't even top the list.
Two minutes with a sewing machine to put in another seam, unless you have to change color thread, then it is more like six minutes.

But I still have to point at that Raleigh Grand Prix I got last spring from Amazon for getting a huge discount - because the box was smashed in, but the bike was fine.
Old 12-17-18, 07:31 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Two minutes with a sewing machine to put in another seam, unless you have to change color thread, then it is more like six minutes.

But I still have to point at that Raleigh Grand Prix I got last spring from Amazon for getting a huge discount - because the box was smashed in, but the bike was fine.
Yeah, I really need to get a sewing machine some day. Not really that worried about this though.

I picked up a pair of Wrathchild studded 4.8" tires for $60 total at a Garage Sale this year. MSRP of $500...
Old 12-17-18, 07:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Yeah, I really need to get a sewing machine some day. .....
I have two, one was about $2 or $3 at a garage sale, but the second one can zig zag, I think I had to pay $5 for that one.
Old 12-18-18, 04:01 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
This was a factor for me. I have hopes/illusions/delusions of doing some combination bike and packrafting trips. Having the roll top seems like it would be more likely to stay dry when submerged. As of yet, I've not tested that theory. But that was a deciding factor when I went with the roll tops.

Since I only have roll tops, I can't really compare, but it does seem like I can overstuff them in a way that wouldn't work with the flaps. On occasion, knowing the weather would be decent and having purchased a little more at the grocery store than I technically had room for, I found I could leave the roll top unrolled to pile more stuff in for the short term.

But I agree that it seems like the differences between the two are minor, and it's not really that one is better. It depends on your needs/wants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.