Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Montague wheels constantly crooked

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-03-19, 06:44 PM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

The wheels on my Montague crosstown constantly need to be trued. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I am very new to bike maintenance.

I feel there are 3 possibilities, are which are not mutually exclusive 1) the wheels are awe full and can stay straight. From what I’ve read online montague frames are great but the components are terrible. 2) pressure applied to the tires during folding and removing the from wheel is causing this, or 3) my lbs mechanic is completely incompetent.

Any feedback would be much appreciated
Old 06-04-19, 07:46 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
They are not that good of wheels from the factory. If they have been repaired many times I would suggest you find a wheel builder and have them duplicate new wheels for you out of quality components. This unfortunately could cost what the bike cost. Good wheels are the key to a good riding bike. Roger
Old 06-04-19, 08:44 AM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
They are not that good of wheels from the factory. If they have been repaired many times I would suggest you find a wheel builder and have them duplicate new wheels for you out of quality components. This unfortunately could cost what the bike cost. Good wheels are the key to a good riding bike. Roger
Thanks for the response, any recommendations for wheels? I am not sure what is compatible as the bike uses the cliq release hub in the front and only has 7 speeds in the back
Old 06-04-19, 11:22 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The correct thing for you to do is to bring your bike to a shop that will or can build wheels for you. They will know what you need and either make it or order the correct wheels for you. Not something you can do on the net with your experience level but something you need to go out and talk to someone about and see what they have. Good luck with your search. Roger
Old 06-05-19, 04:28 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 184 Posts
Wheels that don't hold true are often improperly tensioned. If there is any way you can find a competent mechanic, have them completely detension the spokes and then bring them back to spec slowly. Sometimes this is enough to prevent the wheel from going out of true. If this isn't the issue, replace the wheels.