Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

200 mile Scott Addict 20 Disc Update

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 06:07 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts

A couple weeks ago I got a leftover 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc from a wholesaler for a pretty great price. Bike was in great condition and only needed pedals so I put on Shimano PD-EH500 pedals on which offer awesome versatility without being too clunky. The included Syncros saddle looked cool but was very uncomfortable like every other Syncros saddle I have had on all my Scotts. Normally I go with Ergon Gel saddles but decided to get a Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow saddle since it was on sale and I will say it's no lazy boy but a huge upgrade over the Syncros once you break it in and is great for longer rides.

So far I have done 200 miles and I think I am finally getting the hang of this bike. This Addict is my first drop bar road bike since my last bike was a 2016 Kestrel RT1000 flat bar. To be honest I was a surprised that Scott sold the 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc for $3800 MSRP since really the only major upgrades for for the Addict over the RT are Ultegra vs 105 and disc brakes rim brakes while the bikes being very close in weight Addict 18.2lbs and RT 18.52lbs. Call me crazy but besides the look and weight Ultegra really isn't a big deal for me and I don't really notice any difference over 105 which IMO is the best bang for your buck performance group set. I will say hydraulic discs are awesome and I am glad that these are becoming standard even on road bikes now with frames getting lighter and lighter. I am still getting used to braking on a drop bar learning when to drop down to stop on a dime or when to breakup up top and modulate more. I have small hands so navigating the brakes is a little tedious on this bike. I will say going from 25mm to 28mm tires is almost too good to be true. On 28mm tires I feel more stable with the ability to pick up speed quicker and maintain speed longer. I am thinking of going 30mm even. It did take me 1-2 rides to get shifting down but I actually am starting to love the feel of it, it's very satisfying. I am almost floored that I never noticed how much speed I was wasting on a flat bar bike not being in a more aero position. The 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc has a "race" geometry so for me it's a bit aggressive for a newbie and for the first couple rides my neck, back, and even feet were sore. Flat bar bikes are much more forgiving for riding positions, while a road bike you have to get dialed or things start to hurt fast. I find it awesome that sometimes dropping down to an aero position actually propels me faster than if I were to pedal. I will say while the Addict is very fun it isn't really faster than my RT at all but one of its biggest advantages for me is that it murder hills/climbs.

One of the biggest reasons I never went drop bar sooner is that I always though that "roadies" always took themselves a bit too serious and really I kind of still do. I am not into the biking shorts and spandex and I don't plan on monitoring power or posting Strava pics. No offense to anyone who does do that

Before this I had a 2016 Scott Scale 730 and had some gravel tires on it, trying to ride it as an urban gravel bike but I never enjoyed riding it since at 23lbs it was heavy for a road use and I never utilized the fork for more than potholes and curbs. I did look at gravel bike since on paper they do seem kind of like the most well rounded bikes for my use: light, good components, more aero than a flat bar, wide tires that soak up imperfections, bigger tread for dirt, disc brakes, more relaxed geometry. So at the moment loving the Addict and hopefully I will put on many more miles. I do intend to try 30mm tires and if the right opportunity came up maybe I would switch to a gravel bike down the line
Old 06-09-19, 08:44 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Thanks for posting an update and I am glad you are enjoying your bike. It sounds like you made a good choice for yourself. Did you sell your Kestrel because it also is a fine bike?

Happy Riding
Old 06-10-19, 03:01 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Just run your 28s till they need replacing then go for your 30s

The biggest upgrade from 105 to Ultegra is to get Di2 version of it, world of difference

Unless its a gearing thing or a fender mounting want just make your new bike into a gravel bike by adding wider tires, no need to get another bike, i take mine in grass, gravel and stuff i shouldnt with slick 28s and its fine, just ride the hoods or top for more relaxed when you need, you dont always have to be in the drops
Old 06-10-19, 04:48 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Sounds like a nice bike that could do a lot. Have looked at a new one before. I keep toying with the idea of a tire which would be more ‘universal’. Don’t be afraid to go spandex - I am not a serious roadie, but it is so much nicer when you are sweaty, which I am a lot.
Old 06-10-19, 03:50 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Thanks for posting an update and I am glad you are enjoying your bike. It sounds like you made a good choice for yourself. Did you sell your Kestrel because it also is a fine bike?

Happy Riding
Thanks, I sold that for $100 less than I bought it after a seasons use. It was a great bike but my main complaint was that it didn't have disc brakes and it was a tad too small with a 47CM frame
Old 06-10-19, 04:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Have you adjusted the lever stroke on your shifters? Assuming you have Ultegra 6800, check out page 14 from https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-05-ENG.pdf
use a 3mm slotted screwdriver, turn the reach adjustment bolt on the top of the shifter clockwise.