Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't mount my tire!!!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't mount my tire!!!

Old 07-10-19, 09:57 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Can't mount my tire!!!

First time I can't mount a tire on a rim.The rims are Bontrager selects and I'm tryong to mount an old Rubino Pro that' s been in my closet a few years.I understand these rims can be difficult but I have mounted Schwalbes on them.I try my hands ,tire iron and no luck.Any suggestions?
Old 07-10-19, 10:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
are you squeezing the beads & getting them down in the channel? I often then use a strap or tape to keep that in place before working the other side

sometimes 2 straps like with Swalbe's winter marathons

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-10-19, 10:34 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Trek's old in-house brand for rims, Matrix, was notorious for being super hard to mount tires. Seems like Bontrager has continued that tradition.

That being said, I have some Bontrager Race rims that I don't seem to have troubles with. So who knows. Some tire-rim combos just suck.
Old 07-10-19, 10:34 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
If you have this much trouble at home, just imagine the trouble you would have with a flat 20 miles away. If you can't mount the
tire with simple tools, consider returning it and trying some other tire. My recumbent is a bear to put tires on, usually a 30 min
cussing match. I once broke two plastic tire tools trying to get a Bontrager tire off a Bontrager rim when I was a tour guide for
a tourer with a new bike. Lubing the tire edge with soap concentrate (eg one of those motel give aways that is small enough to
put in the bag) can help a lot. I have a Park tire mount tool that anchors to the hub (no longer sold) but rarely use it as I realize
if that is the only way to get the tire on I will be SOL with a flat out on a ride.

Rumrunns methods are sound but not what you want to carry on a ride...
My carry around tool of choice is the Pedro tire lever for overall strength. Park type are nice but over time the curved end that
hooks under the bead tends to straighten out and they are not as beefy as the Pedro variant. Park has a steel core/plastic surround
tool that might provide the leverage needed without buggering of the rim edges like all steel tools do.

The real problem with really tight tire/rim combos is getting that last bit of tire bead over the rim edge without pinch cutting the
tubes. Really annoying to finally get the tire mounted only to find the tube has a pinch cut.

Last edited by sch; 07-10-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 10:49 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
My carry around tool of choice is the Pedro tire lever for overall strength.
+1. My Pedro levers have been able to mount some tires that led to all kinds of adult language with various other tire levers.
Old 07-10-19, 11:39 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...gateway&sr=8-7
Likes For davidad:
Old 07-10-19, 11:49 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have all of the above mentioned and pictured devices in my shop. Out on the road I carry 2 Pedro's levers.

Old 07-10-19, 11:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
If you have this much trouble at home, just imagine the trouble you would have with a flat 20 miles away. If you can't mount the
tire with simple tools, consider returning it and trying some other tire. My recumbent is a bear to put tires on, usually a 30 min
cussing match. I once broke two plastic tire tools trying to get a Bontrager tire off a Bontrager rim when I was a tour guide for
a tourer with a new bike. Lubing the tire edge with soap concentrate (eg one of those motel give aways that is small enough to
put in the bag) can help a lot. I have a Park tire mount tool that anchors to the hub (no longer sold) but rarely use it as I realize
if that is the only way to get the tire on I will be SOL with a flat out on a ride.
I am with you 110%. If it s tough job in the workshop, imagine doing it when you are tired after riding all day, when it is getting dark and starting to rain....
Old 07-10-19, 12:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

am old toe strap takes up insignificant space in my rear rack trunk
Old 07-10-19, 12:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
For new tires that just need to stretch a bit, it works to mount them without the tube - that way you can use your extra beefy levers and not worry about pinching the innertube. You can also go around and lift the bead at different places and park the tool on a spoke for a while so it can hold the bead in stretched position. This really helped with my Challenge Paris-Roubiax Pro... impossible to mount new... after stretching they went on pretty easy.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-10-19, 02:33 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ordered some pedro levers from Amazon.Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-10-19, 04:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
When I'm putting my tires on, I start opposite the valve stem and work towards it in both directions. When I get to the part where it seems like the tire bead won't ever slip over the rim, I then go back to where I started and ensure that that side of the tires bead is down in the spoke channel. I only use my hands, and no straps or such. Ensure the tube is completely empty of air.

I know some claim to have to use a lever to mount their tires, but I've only used a lever to dismount them.
Old 07-11-19, 01:41 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Wonder if taking a hair dryer (or heat gun) to the tire's bead might help make it more pliable?
Old 07-11-19, 02:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
First time I can't mount a tire on a rim.The rims are Bontrager selects and I'm tryong to mount an old Rubino Pro that' s been in my closet a few years.I understand these rims can be difficult but I have mounted Schwalbes on them.I try my hands ,tire iron and no luck.Any suggestions?
Switch to 1 mil Kapton tape. 5/8" (16mm) wide for classic rims, 3/4" (19mm) for contemporary wide. Two wraps total .005" versus .020" for rim tape which makes a huge difference. It creates enough slack to allow hand mounting on rims where Veloplugs aren't enough.

Start the second bead 180 degrees opposite of the stem so its entirely in the depression at the rim centerline. Don't handicap yourself starting the other way where the stem keeps it out.

If you didn't maintain tension on the bead, go back to where you started, push the bead into the depression, and milk the slack around.

Flip the remainder over the rim. I use my thumbs, but have heard of people using their foot with the rim as a lever.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-11-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 04:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
When I'm putting my tires on, I start opposite the valve stem and work towards it in both directions.
This is backwards from every direction I've ever seen, or used. The valve is the part that is most likely to cause a problem, so you get it in there first and do the hard bead forcing on the opposite side.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-11-19, 05:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Some soapy water can help.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-11-19, 08:29 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I bought the Sunlite copy of the VAR combination tire levers and bead jack. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet but it is small enough to fit in my seat pack. I'm hoping its the answer for the tight Continentals I use if they flat on the road.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-11-19, 08:30 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Some soapy water can help.
Sure does. I have a squeeze bottle full of isopropyl alcohol, which works well for this and also for installing grips.
Old 07-11-19, 08:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This is backwards from every direction I've ever seen, or used. The valve is the part that is most likely to cause a problem, so you get it in there first and do the hard bead forcing on the opposite side.
Yeah, it’s backward from most old-school advice, but you get a little more slack to get the last part of the bead on this way. Makers of tubeless-compatible rims often recommend finishing at the valve now.
Old 07-12-19, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It's what I've done since a kid some 50 or so years ago. It just seems to me that the stem side of the tube being bulkier is going to make it harder to get the bead of the side you are trying to get over the rim down in the spoke channel or at least below the bead seat.

Having the bead of the tire down in the channel is what allows you the extra little bit of length at the opposite side where you are trying to get it over the rim. The extra rubber around the stem gets in the way and keeps pushing the bead back up on the seat where it should not be at this stage of the install. At least that is my experience on narrow rims with 14 mm internal width. For the wide rims of mtn bikes and such, I don't really think it matters. Or... maybe that is when something comes into play that makes starting at the stem a more reasonable thing.

Still it's not always easy and I have sometimes actually grabbed a lever and tried prying. However after either breaking the lever or realizing I'd break it, then I go back what have been my basics-- making certain the tire bead is off the bead seat of the rim.

While I used go back to my starting point and pinch both sides of the tire bead together to try and get them in the spoke channel, I realized only the side you are working on needs to be in it. I found that with the wheel laid flat, I could just run my thumbs from where I started to where I'm stuck one or two times gets that last little bit I need to push the bead over the rim.

Off subject slightly, but everything I've ever read says how professional it is to put the tire brand or name by the valve stem. However when I was dealing with my kids and neighbors kids bikes, I always put the inflation numbers next to the stem.

I can always find the name and make of tire no matter where it's oriented on the rim, what I have trouble finding is the tiny print they put the inflation limits. So this seems more natural to put by the stem.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-12-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 06:12 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
I'm hoping its the answer for the tight Continentals I use if they flat on the road.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Contrary to what they say on TV, this is something that you should try at home before you try it on the road.
Old 07-12-19, 09:42 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I am with you 110%. If it s tough job in the workshop, imagine doing it when you are tired after riding all day, when it is getting dark and starting to rain....
This was my point in criticizing my Bontrager Paradigm Elite rims and R3 tires in tubeless mode: with years of experience (many working in the bike shop) I can't get their darned tires into the rims. I can't imagine using tubeless (or Bontrager tires for that matter) if any attempt to fix a puncture in the field would be impossible.

And IIRC, you're not supposed to use a tire iron or tire lever with tubeless. So they're completely non field serviceable.
Old 07-12-19, 10:21 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
The worst I've ever mounted are Panaracer Paselas on Mavic MA40 rims. I have two examples of this combination, and finally tried the Koolstop Tire Bead Jack. It actually works. All the other suggestions are worthy, and I've tried most of them, but I love my bead jack. Life is too short to fight with mounting stubborn tires. I need to find a way to carry it along on rides. It almost fits under a Brooks saddle, but how to secure it?
Old 07-13-19, 03:17 AM
rumrunn6

I carry a bead jack in my rear trunk even tho it’s not wide enough for 2.1” studded 29er tires
Old 07-13-19, 04:52 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OK, ordered one.Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.