Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Butt buddies -- in a hetero way

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 10:35 PM
skrizman
Allez

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp; Fischer Utopia hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I figure I’ve looked at Ed’s butt for about half of the 300 or so miles we’ve ridden together. For some reason, Ed saw fit to photograph my butt somewhere in the Big Empty between Alamosa and Salida (not a recommended paceline activity).

What I’m getting at is you get to see a whole different side of your cycling buddy.

Ed and I met last year in the dusty, rocky football field in Chama, N.M. — the first time Ride the Rockies had ventured outside of Colorado. We had pitched tents side-by-side and shared my stake hammer. He repaid the favor by buying the first of many beers we would consume that day.

A couple of days later, Ed smoothed my introduction to the thrill of the paceline. Since then, we have done training rides between our hometowns of Denver and Colorado Springs, rode the Copper Triangle together, have marked each other’s 50th birthdays, and have exchanged numerous e-mails.

Since joining the cycling world, I have made several such long-lasting connections with like-minded people.

How about you?
Old 03-23-07, 10:44 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I got peed on by a team mate during a race. Twice.
Old 03-23-07, 10:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
That beats my snot rocket from a competitor story. I wondered why he was falling off pace so early, then later wondered why I stayed on his wheel until I realized he was trying to be the last rider in the pack for a reason!
Old 03-23-07, 11:01 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skrizman
We had pitched tents side-by-side and shared my stake hammer.
Are you SURE you mean that in a hetero way? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Seriously though, I can easily think of at least half a dozen friends I have made through cycling 10 or more years ago. When cycling is a lifestyle, it's easy to form these kinds of long lasting friendships. One of these friends, Craig, serves as my reality check. He always has a nice bike, but it is not necessarily the lightest or latest technology. However, he rides it everywhere and has excellent technique on the bike. I know that no matter how much I were to geek out my bike, he'd still kick my butt! Riding with him helps to keep things in perspective that it's the engine, not the bike.
Old 03-23-07, 11:02 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cypress
Same team mate, in the same race?