Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Lancaster PA

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Lancaster PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 08:41 PM
asdgrube

Bikes: Iorn Hoarse Maverick, Fuji Absolute Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter Lancaster PA

Does anyone commute year round near Lancaster PA? I was Wondering what Kind of tires you use in winter? I have been commuting for two years. I stop when it snows. I would like to start year round. Not sure if studded tires are needed. Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-02-08, 06:02 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I live in Carlisle, just a bit to the west. Since we do not really get covered in snow for months at a time here, I usually keep a couple of bikes (junkers, do not be impressed) to choose from depending on the conditions. I mostly use a MTB with slick tires in all but the days when the snow is fresh. But then have another one with knobbies for those days. There are only a couple a days a year that are too much for me. I would love to get some studded tires, but I think they might only be usable for a few days a year, so I have not bothered.

jim
Old 01-02-08, 06:23 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of bike and tires do you ride?

Riding those hills in the snow... that would be impressive. Can we see your route?

My bands:
Old 01-02-08, 06:46 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
I live in Mechanicsburg (close to Carlisle), and just use a singlespeed mountain bike (redline monocog, which is currently out of commission), and have had slicks on it all year. Uphill was impossible however. Regular mountain bike tires will work.
Old 01-02-08, 07:15 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Admittedly, I do not go far, and there are no hills to speak of. Keep in mind that the weather here is such that even within a day or so after most storms the concrete is bare again. With actual snow on the road, I switch to knobbies. Still not very good, but I manage. I would hate to complain about the winters here when so many of you probably have heaps of snow and bitter cold all winter, but the variability here does present a problem in itself. I try to cheat towards the middle of the spectrum of possibilities to make things as simple as possible, and it more or less works on most days.

jim
Old 01-02-08, 07:23 PM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Middletown, PA and ride to Hershey to work. there are no "real" hills on my route, but I did get studded tires just to have them for the snow. They are the Kenda Klondikes (actually the nashbar branded ones) and the nice thing about them is the design is such that the studs are slightly on the sides so that if you are fully upright and the tires are at full inflation, very little of the stud rides on the road, which is nice for the days when the roads are bare. On the other days, you just drop a few lbs from the tires and viola, your studs are in contact full time.

Only two days of snow so far, but man they were fun ride days! I don't commute full time as of yet, I had a knee injury and as such have to take a few days off here and there, but I'd rather ride to work than drive any day!

Joe
Old 01-02-08, 07:33 PM
Navy_Chief
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Waynesboro and am gearing up to start commuting full time, I have some serious hills on my route so I appreciate all of the information shared here. I never realized that there were this many commuters in the area. good to see I am not alone.

Chief
Old 01-02-08, 08:34 PM
asdgrube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Iorn Hoarse Maverick MTB that I converted to a commuter with Vittoria Touring tires 26x1.5.
I will post route as soon as I can figure out how. I do have a couple of good hills on my route. I was thinking about Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106. I know most of the time would be dry pavement but I am concerend about black ice. This bike will be my winter bike in the future. I hope to buy another bike next year. I am thinking about riding tommorow temps supposed to be 14 degrees roads are dry. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-02-08, 09:24 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by asdgrube
I have a Iorn Hoarse Maverick MTB that I converted to a commuter with Vittoria Touring tires 26x1.5.
I will post route as soon as I can figure out how. I do have a couple of good hills on my route. I was thinking about Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106. I know most of the time would be dry pavement but I am concerend about black ice. This bike will be my winter bike in the future. I hope to buy another bike next year. I am thinking about riding tommorow temps supposed to be 14 degrees roads are dry. Thanks for all the help
If those are the touring hybrid tires, then you'll want something a little more aggressive for the snow.

For doing routes online, most folks use either bikely (my choice) or mapmyride.

My bands:
Old 01-02-08, 11:34 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Rock on Central PA commuters!

I hate to be obtuse, but is riding slicks all that wrong? A typical snowy day here will be in the 20's or even 30's and so my narrow tires (26x1.25) usually just punch through the slop to the road below. I grew up in Iowa where it was much colder and I suspect this would not have worked on so many days. But, in an area that does not get sub 20 degree weather for weeks at a time, it works most all of the time.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of days here when studs would be a huge advantage (and a very small number of days when they are probably absolutely necessary), but I think we are sometimes tempted to over-solve the winter problem.

jim
Old 01-03-08, 07:31 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

^I agree. The weather here poses quite a few problems. I find it annoying to have o carry extra clothes b/c the temp is 15-20 degrees different between when I went in and leave. Likewise the fact that the weather is never constant. Today it was 8 degrees or so at 6am and tomorrow it is supposed to be around 59 degrees at noon.
Old 01-03-08, 08:12 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

that is why I keep a couple of bikes ready to go. Otherwise I would have to change the tires/wheels 20 times a winter.

jim
Old 01-03-08, 08:28 AM
Navy_Chief
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am considering a second set of wheels with studs mounted so that I can just swap wheels in the morning as needed for the conditions.

Chief
Old 01-03-08, 07:30 PM
asdgrube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my bike route Hope this works
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Duane-Commute

Last edited by asdgrube; 01-03-08 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 08:04 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I live outside Philly and run 35mm Nokian 106's from early December to April. My route has some large hills (Manayunk section of Philly for those that are familiar) and is about 15 miles each way. I find that the Ron Popiel approach to commuting works best for me "Set it & Forget it!" if you remember the counter top oven info-mercial.

I find that when it does snow around here you get lots on little places where the melting snow re-freezes (shady areas etc.) and can cause problems when you least expect it. I find it easier to designate one bike as the winter bike and deal with the slightly slower speeds from the heavier, studded tires. I have also found that when it does snow, it is faster getting to work via the bike. People get so freaked out by snow on the roads in these parts, that traffic seems to grind to a halt regardless of the amount of snow actually recieved. Below is a pic of the bike I just finished for the winter.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-08, 08:15 PM
Navy_Chief
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice ride for a commute, I don't have a lot of advise on the tires though as I am new to the winter commuting also and am learning as I go.

Chief
Old 01-03-08, 08:44 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

That is a nice ride fender! How far is your commute?
Old 01-04-08, 01:16 AM
narr33

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have been commuting through two winters (twenty mile round trip) near Phoenixville. My return trip is after midnight so studded tires are a must for me. The first Winter I used a hardtail mountain bike with Schwalbe Snow Studs. This Winter I'm using a single speed cross bike with Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 35mm. I found the heavy geared bike with wider tires to be a bit of a drudgery at times. The single speed bike is working well as I can cover the same distance with much less effort plus I don't have to worry about my cables freezing. I also have a geared beater bike for the warm spells when the roads a wet and covered in salt.
Old 01-04-08, 08:49 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
[QUOTE=icedmocha;5919453]That is a nice ride fender! How far is your commute?[/QUOT

Thanks! Just about 30 miles RT. I have secure indoor parking at work.
Old 01-04-08, 09:00 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize there is so many BF members in our area, we have to get together sometime for a ride, I live in Camp Hill, luckily my short commute is about 1 1/2 miles.
Old 01-07-08, 05:37 PM
asdgrube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does everyone deal with the salt?
Old 01-07-08, 09:16 PM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asdgrube
How does everyone deal with the salt?
Put it around the rim of the glass you are drinking from

Actually, it's a pain in the *****, but I did find a rustproof chain made by KMC called the rustbuster, it's coated with nickel, and it's been rust free all winter, I have lubed it twice now.

Joe
Old 01-08-08, 03:43 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live about 30 miles north of Harrisburg. Most days I commute to the bus stop and bus the rest of the way. When I am on another schedule I drive to the outskirts of the city and bike into the Capital Complex from there.
I have studded tires on. I wish I had other wheels to swap out. It's going to be in the 60s today and I'm ridding my studs!
Old 01-09-08, 03:53 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeR
I live about 30 miles north of Harrisburg. Most days I commute to the bus stop and bus the rest of the way. When I am on another schedule I drive to the outskirts of the city and bike into the Capital Complex from there.
I have studded tires on. I wish I had other wheels to swap out. It's going to be in the 60s today and I'm ridding my studs!
Another warm day coming up and I'm driving/city cycling. I'm gon'a swap my lights over to the summer bike. It's gon'a be a nice Greenbelt ride along the river! No ice, no salt and no studs
Old 01-09-08, 06:54 AM
Lurch104

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Dauphin and work in Camp Hill on Erford rd. I am just trying to get up the nerve to ride the 1 mile "Bicycle Route" otherwise known as 322 down to the Fishing creek exit. After that, I see no real problems (a bit nervous about Front Street to the beginning of the Green Belt, but this seems doable).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.