Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Found out I'm a Clydesdale

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 07:45 PM
marshall3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was intstucted this forum might have the information I need. Just so you know I'm a complete amature in the world of cycling. So any advice will be much appreciated.

Went to my LBS and was most interested in the '07 Trek 7.3FX. They’re asking $530 for it. I've seen most prices to be around $500. I think I could talk them into dropping the price or throwing in some accessories. I’ll be a two you customer, minimum, I’d think they would be willing to work with me. I figure it would be better to get the bike from a shop I will be around for a couple years. I would like to slowly upgrade it so that I was capable of commuting pretty much anywhere. As soon as I get my bike and it’s not below zero, how it’s been lately, I’ll be riding out to the local state park, Camden. It will be about 40 miles round trip. I won't be hard on it, but plan on riding a lot. I've decided I'm willing to spend around $500. Let me know what you think, because I know very little. I'm a 6'5'' athlete if that makes any difference.
Old 02-21-08, 07:51 PM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$500 is decent for a starting bike, but for that price I would demand that they custom fit you. I'm not sure of your weight or fitness level, but 40 miles is not a ride in the park. You may want to work your way up to that.

Welcome aboard! You will get a wealth of information here.
Old 02-21-08, 07:58 PM
Barabus
My cassette goes to 11

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone, Canondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Found out I am a Clyde and Athena" LOL. You would have to be a hermaphrodite to be both. Too bad you cannot change a title to a thread.

I bought the Trek 7.3 fx in July for $475 from Discovery bike in SoCal. They gave 15% off accessories. Neither my wife nor I liked the flat bars and our hands suffered. Other than that it is a great bike. You might want to try a Pilot or a 520, just sayin'.
Old 02-21-08, 08:44 PM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 40 mile roundtrips you are talking about, I think you would be better served with a bike with drop handlebars which allow multiple hand positions, and the chance to avoid various strains, and pains (or get some new ones as the case may be). For a little more I'd go with something like a Specialized Sequoia with its slightly longer head tube that allows for a more relaxed posture than a standard road bike head tube.

Either way, your height is gonna require a careful fit. You're probably best off with services of a trustworthy LBS that won't put you on something too small for your body.
Old 02-21-08, 10:29 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barabus
I bought the Trek 7.3 fx in July for $475 from Discovery bike in SoCal. They gave 15% off accessories. Neither my wife nor I liked the flat bars and our hands suffered. Other than that it is a great bike. You might want to try a Pilot or a 520, just sayin'.
Right, why in the world would someone choose a 'one position' set of bars over a set that offers several, I don't know!

Besides , if you're an athlete, it won't be long before you're sorry you bought a hybrid or comfort bike. I know several riders doing very well, and fast on a Pilot. Comfort but still a roadie!
Old 02-21-08, 11:35 PM
marshall3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never thought I would get red in the face in front of a computer. Definitely wasn't thinking too hard either, some reason took Clydesdale for height and Athena for weight. Luckily I like making people smile. Anyway, I'll be looking into those other bikes. Thanks a lot
Old 02-22-08, 06:11 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Right, why in the world would someone choose a 'one position' set of bars over a set that offers several, I don't know!

Besides , if you're an athlete, it won't be long before you're sorry you bought a hybrid or comfort bike. I know several riders doing very well, and fast on a Pilot. Comfort but still a roadie!
Here are some reasons:

They have balance problems that make changing handlebar positions difficult - like I do.

They prefer to ride in a more upright position - commuters and mountain bikers, for instance.

They don't want to buy into the 'roadie' lifestyle and mindset.

As for being an athlete, that's for others to decide, but I've ridden a century and a couple of metrics on my flat-bar Trek 7.5fx. I belong to a bike club filled with roadies on drop bars, and many of them haven't ridden a century. But I'm sure they must be athletes, since after all they have drop bars.

Old 02-22-08, 09:26 AM
Herman47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just what I was thinking

"Found out I am a Clyde and Athena" LOL.

Yeah, my first thought was that this guy was a big hermaphrodite, with a question perhaps about the bicycle seat or saddle.
Old 02-22-08, 10:01 AM
Indyv8a

Bikes: Trek 800, Giant OCR C3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I will say this, when I started to get more into riding I was on an old mtb. I have found over extended rides I prefer multi-position bars. If you do not like drops, you can look into other options like trekking bars.

This set is from Harris Cyclery and price is 25.00.
Old 02-22-08, 10:53 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I'll fix your title

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-22-08, 11:13 AM
Barabus
My cassette goes to 11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I'll fix your title

Tom to the rescue!! This subforum is nice compared to the Road Cycling subforum.
Old 02-22-08, 12:09 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideorglide
For 40 mile roundtrips you are talking about, I think you would be better served with a bike with drop handlebars which allow multiple hand positions, and the chance to avoid various strains, and pains (or get some new ones as the case may be). For a little more I'd go with something like a Specialized Sequoia with its slightly longer head tube that allows for a more relaxed posture than a standard road bike head tube.

Either way, your height is gonna require a careful fit. You're probably best off with services of a trustworthy LBS that won't put you on something too small for your body.
Another vote for "I wish I would have gotten drops from the start". I just started cycling in April, 2007 and opted for a flat bar road bike much like the Trek 7.3fx. I kept thinking that drop bars weren't for me as I needed to be more upright. Well...I started putting in more miles than I ever imagined and loving it (even to the point where I have been getting up at 5 AM most mornings to do do serious training sessions on the trainer during the dark/cold tme). Now, 10 months into this thing I REALLY REALLY want a new bike with drops. I've gotten addicted and whenever I ride outside I keep thinking how great it would be to be able to get down in the drops in a head wind or a descent or if I just wanted to do a balls to the wall time trial run.

Plus, as I started to get above about 20 miles (or say much over an hour in the saddle) I would have hand pain and on one metric century + ride my pinky and ring fingers went numb on both hands. I have solved this with ergo grips w/bar ends and have ridden many longer rides since. But I would still have more hand positions on drops for longer rides.

That's my $.02. You need to find what works for you.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-22-08, 02:09 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I may be a bit freakish (can't wait to read the comments), but I can ride pretty long distances with my KHS Town and Country 100, flat bar and comfort riding position and all. I have tweaked it for my comfort, but all in all I haven't noticed any strain when I've ridden over 30 km. I'm riding in a 75 km charity ride in June so I am changing the angle and height of my handlebars, switching my 2" tires for something sleeker, and removing the basket. I can't wait until the snow melts! I may add a pair of bar ends.

The handlebars on the road bikes kind of scares me. I'm not sure if I'd be able to maintain my posture while in the drops (or even reach them comfortably. I'm a bit on the short side 5'2), and still brake and shift gears.

Saying that, I would like to get a speedier touring bike and keep the KHS as a grocery getter. But that is a while in the future because right now I am addicted to buying new photography gear!
Old 02-22-08, 09:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Here are some reasons:

They have balance problems that make changing handlebar positions difficult - like I do.

They prefer to ride in a more upright position - commuters and mountain bikers, for instance.

As for being an athlete, that's for others to decide, but I've ridden a century and a couple of metrics on my flat-bar Trek 7.5fx. I belong to a bike club filled with roadies on drop bars, and many of them haven't ridden a century. But I'm sure they must be athletes, since after all they have drop bars.
You sound a bit bitter ther young man. I'm just responding to the op referring to himslef as an athlete. wasn't my doing. As far as flat bars, riding on the hoods is about the same as riding on a flat bar. Not to mention the position on the flat section near the stem. Have you ever ridden a roadie? I bet if you had, you'd realize a roadie is much more balanced than a hybrid or comfort bike. Maybe that's the reason people fly down and around switchbacks on roadies and not hybrids.

More upright position? Uhh, ever hear of the Pilot? Commuters upright? Check again, Mountain bikers? Check again. Look closely, most mtb'ers are laid across the top of the bike applying pressure to the front wheel in an attempt to keep traction in the dirt.

Roadie lifestyle and mindset? I think you need to free your mind a bit. I know many friendly helpful roadies. It's not about the bike you ride, it's about cycling. I've met several jerk commuters and mtb'ers. I've met several jerk roadies. I've met some great commuters and great roadies! So what's your point with the 'roadie mindset'?

Sounds like you're being what they call a little prejudice! And please don't think riding a bike makes one an athlete. I know plenty of century riders that are far from athletes. AND PLEASE! Your 'a century' and a couple of metrics doesn't qualify you to compare a roadie to hybrids and mtb's. I've done somewhere around 30 centuries, a million metrics. I've ridden mtb's in the dirt, up mtns. I've been on hybrids and Huffy's. I've done over 40,000 miles on several differnt types of bikes. Including a mtn bike tandem and a roadie tandem.

So uhh riding a flatbar bike doesn't qualify you to judge a roadie bike, or a roadie's mindset. I thought you were more intelligent than to make such ignorant statements. You've got a lot to learn and I've just lost a lot of respect for you.

Like I said, you sound bitter, along with ignorant when it comes to cycling and making judgements.
Old 02-23-08, 06:42 PM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barabus
Tom to the rescue!! This subforum is nice compared to the Road Cycling subforum.
We're a different breed.
Old 02-23-08, 06:53 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Neil, you have some specialized issues to deal with, structurally. It's not a "roadie" mindset, per se, that sends me toward drop bars, and aerobars, it's practicality for the type of riding I do. We're all athletes, on the bikes, at various levels. You ride flats because they work best for you.

I ride drops and aerobars because they work for me I like having several different hand positions and two different tuck positions to reduce frontal wind resistance and the energy required for long rides as well as increased speed. I'm shooting for a sub 5 hour Century this summer, and a Triple Century as well in less than 18 hrs.

Different task, different hammer

Originally Posted by The Historian
Here are some reasons:

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-23-08, 07:29 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Neil, you have some specialized issues to deal with, structurally. It's not a "roadie" mindset, per se, that sends me toward drop bars, and aerobars, it's practicality for the type of riding I do. We're all athletes, on the bikes, at various levels. You ride flats because they work best for you.

I ride drops and aerobars because they work for me I like having several different hand positions and two different tuck positions to reduce frontal wind resistance and the energy required for long rides as well as increased speed. I'm shooting for a sub 5 hour Century this summer, and a Triple Century as well in less than 18 hrs.

Different task, different hammer
Hi Tom,

Guys with scoliosis ride with drop bars, too, so my comments had little to do with me. That said, I stand by my remarks. Folks can think less of me if they like; I don't think of them at all.

Old 02-23-08, 07:33 PM
marshall3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tested out a couple bikes today

First I rode the 07 7.3XS 22.5in. Felt alright, but was crunched up a bit. They didn't have a 25in on hand. Claimed they could order one so I could check it out, although it would be the 08 model and would cost more. They are asking $530 for the 07. Then I decided to get on a XL 07 schwinn FASTBACK. Enjoyed it a lot, much more than I thought I would. I really do want to go on long rides and also commute. I truly don't have the money to have two bikes. I personally feel I would have no problem using the FASTBACK to commute. Haven't even researched this bike for reviews yet. Plan to after this thread. I am 6'5'' or 6'4'', depends who you talk to. Right now I my weight is 205 lbs, I'm hoping to get back to 225 or 230. I play college football and my position is a WR. This season I managed to pull my hamstring and then broke my collarbone as soon as I returned. I have two seasons left to play. I will be training hard, but also want to start cycling. Very curious on what every one thinks about the FASTBACK.
Old 02-24-08, 02:37 PM
marshall3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the title fix Tom
Old 02-24-08, 02:48 PM
Barabus
My cassette goes to 11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn's don't get a lot of love on the forum, but it not really about the bike. Do 5,000 miles on it this year and then tell us what YOU think of it. Be sure to log on Tom's Saturday spinner miles spead sheet so it is official. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 02-24-08, 03:52 PM
wayne pattee
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling is one sport that has so many variations. Everyone has their own way of enjoying it as long as we are all riding and enjoying it. I am.