Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Short commute, all uphill.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 04:59 PM
SusanT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(I'm new, if I've missed some way that this doesn't fit here or if there's another related thread, by all means, let me know!)

I'm not what I'd call so much a serious cyclist as a serious non-driver. I enjoy biking, but I'm not looking to get into terrific shape or do any racing or whatnot, and when I ride, I'm going someplace. Like to work.

My commute is two miles, which isn't rough at all, distance-wise. The trouble is that the whole thing is one long uphill grade. There's hardly any traffic, the weather where I live is great, but that gets to me. On the way home, I hardly pedal at all (mostly after stop signs to get started again) and make it home in a leisurely fifteen minutes. On the way in to work, I go about as hard as I can (given that I can't shower and rest for a bit after I get in to work) and it takes me about half an hour, including some time spent walking because the grade is so steep that at the moment, I can't pedal fast enough even in first gear to keep going any faster than walking speed.

None of it would be bad if it were only a portion of the trip, but this is my whole inbound commute. There are two spots that are sort of flat, but that's basically it.

What can I do to improve my commute time here? I've tried other routes but there's no way around this. Short hills don't bother me in the least when I do other riding, but several steep grades with no rest in between is really leaving me exhausted and taking forever on top of that. I'd love to have an extra ten minutes to snooze in the morning, is there anything I can do to take these hills a little easier? I do this daily, so I thought I'd be building up some stamina by now, but... ugh, no. I'm not looking for high speed here or anything, just to actually be able to bike the whole thing and shave a few minutes off otherwise.

My bike is a cheapo Target variety, I couldn't tell you the brand name or model anymore, in case that matters. A new one isn't in my budget at the moment.
Old 01-22-09, 05:01 PM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a decent mountain bike with big low gears. You'll go up the hill slow, but it won't kill you.
Old 01-22-09, 05:04 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Just keep plugging away- eventually you'll build up your fitness to a level where it's no problem.
Old 01-22-09, 05:05 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Department store bikes tend to be very heavy; I have a Huffy from wal-mart, which weighs practically twice as much as my other bike. The extra 20+ pounds make a big difference on steep uphills.
Old 01-22-09, 06:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
A decent mountain bike off Craigslist and a set of slick tires. Make sure the bike is sized right for you.
Old 01-22-09, 06:24 PM
Caspar_s

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try riding longer distances on off days - double or triple your hill distance. Your body might just be stuck doing the 2 miles - get your stamina up to where 5 or 10 mile is no problem and you'll suddenly find the hill is not as bad as you thought.
Old 01-22-09, 06:31 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Caspar_s
Try riding longer distances on off days - double or triple your hill distance. Your body might just be stuck doing the 2 miles - get your stamina up to where 5 or 10 mile is no problem and you'll suddenly find the hill is not as bad as you thought.
+1

I agree. I think it's hard to get in shape just hitting a two-mile hill and grinding up it (no fun); and the ride home doesn't help either (no work). Some longer rides on the weekend, a mix of terrain, at a comfortable pace, will help w/the 2 mile hill.

And you should make sure you have low enough gears to get you up the hill.
Old 01-22-09, 06:40 PM
kylejack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't want to do some pedaling in the off-time to train yourself up, really the best thing to do is just keep plugging until you're stronger. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it is after a few months. My 5 mile morning commute feels almost effortless now, and when I first started it would really put the hurt on me.
Old 01-22-09, 06:46 PM
Raerfani
Obsessed

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the only immediate solutions are getting a lighter bike, steroid injections en route, or changing your route. However, I would suggest, from experience, to just wait until you become more fit and the hills will literally become very easy and natural for you. This will take a couple of weeks. Just give it time, your body will adjust.
Old 01-22-09, 06:51 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caspar_s
+1

I find it's hard to get in good shape for your commute when only doing your commute. You have to work out with harder rides and then your commute will seem easier. There's also some good advice here on getting a lighter bike and low gearing.
Old 01-22-09, 06:51 PM
bcbcbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding an option you havn't specified away is difficult.

You could lower the gearing on the existing bike if it's not a mtn bike. You could change to slicks if it is. That would help some but maybe not noticeably. Sounds like you're not a do-it-youself mechanic, either option could cost a good fraction of the cost of a good deal on a used bike.

You could bike the commute 3 times a week hard, do something else the other 2 days and give your legs a little more opportunity to get stronger.

Is the chain in good shape and are the tires fully inflated?
Old 01-22-09, 06:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Without knowing how many gears etc. your bike has I'll offer these "generic" suggestions.
1. Use a low enough gear that you can "spin" instead of "mash". Your stamina will be better.
2. Make sure the seat is the proper height. IF too low, you are "wasting" the most powerful part of your stroke. You should pretty much be able to entirely extend your leg with your HEELS on the pedals, without rocking your hips. Now, I can easily notice 10MM off.
3. Get rid of those knobby tires and get some smoother "city" tires. Less weight and they roll much easier.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 01-22-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 06:53 PM
City_Smasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two miles on a steep grade is a long distance. I wouldn't worry about riding more on the weekends to 'get in shape', you're not going to shave 10 minutes off your time. If your concern is getting to work sweaty and exhausted, then walk your bike the last 6 blocks or so, giving yourself time to cool down, and catch your breath. If you're just trying to shave time off your commute so you can snooze a little more, realize you're probably not going to shave much time off your morning commute.

In the future when you can afford a better quality bike, upgrade! A better bike will make a difference.

Last edited by City_Smasher; 01-22-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 07:02 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy a light folder. Walk up the hill with it over your shoulder. Ride it home.
Old 01-22-09, 07:09 PM
djwid
Raptobike Rider

Bikes: Raptobike Lowracer, Redline Conquest CX, Cruzbike Vendetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is very similar. I do a lot of other riding and hills which has made my commute seem much easier. My commute time has dropped significantly due to this other training. I also went to a lighter bike which also helped. Though I recently rode my old bike due to the gravel on the shoulder and was pleased that the time improvement due to training translated very well to the older bike.

btw, if looking for a replacement bike, craigslist is definitely the way to go. I have seen a much larger selection of bikes being sold in the last 3-4 months. The prices are excellent in general as long as you do your research.
2015 Cruzbike Vendetta
2009 Raptobike Lowracer #0067
My blog
My bike pictures

Last edited by djwid; 01-22-09 at 07:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-09, 07:16 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Ooops, though I posted above, I thought of an even better answer: walk.

Believe it or not, man (or woman) does not live by biking alone.

Seriously, I live at the bottom of the hill, and every ride I take begins with a steep, three-block-long hill. If I had to leave my drive and ride uphill for *two miles* every day I don't think I'd like it and honestly a two mile downhill on the way home, while kind of a hoot, doesn't seem like much fun either.

I'd just walk. Save the bike money and get a great set of walking shoes, an iPod, and a backpack.

The next sound you hear will be me getting shot for committing Bikeforums heresy...
Old 01-22-09, 09:15 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I kind of skimmed this thread, so I may have missed the answer. However what type of bike do you ride? If it's a mountain bike with knobbly tires then you're working way harder than you need to ... although it will get you into shape quicker. One tip is to keep the tires pumped up to the maximum allowed (as specified on the tire). Someone above mentioned putting on slicks. Also a good idea.

If you have a road bike, then the same applies. Keep the tire pressure at the upper end of the range.

Either way, enjoy the ride. It only gets easier as you get into shape.
Old 01-22-09, 09:20 PM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can cheat like I do and get an e-bike kit.
Old 01-22-09, 10:33 PM
Wildcatnj

Bikes: Novara SkyCap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar commute, but it is mostly uphill for 4.5 miles. In the beginning I had a lot of trouble and had to walk multiple times. I kept at it and it is not too bad now, but I have the occasional day where my legs feel week and I will take a walk break. Weight plays a big factor. On my normal days I carry panniers which add about 20 pounds. On light days I am usually carrying less than 10 pounds and can shave 3-5 minutes off my time, which feels like a lot more than what it is.

I agree with going for longer rides if you can. They might seem easier because of the hill. I went on a 26 mile ride and found it easier than my 9 mile commute because it was flat instead of hills.
Old 01-23-09, 12:13 AM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I found one,
Take the bus up the hill and weeee back down.

I agree with the rest of what every one said with the most important thing is bike longer distances on the off days.
Old 01-23-09, 12:30 AM
munski1968

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not what I'd call so much a serious cyclist as a serious non-driver. I enjoy biking, but I'm not looking to get into terrific shape or do any racing or whatnot, and when I ride, I'm going someplace. Like to work.

Why not just leave the bike at home, and jog, or walk to work? Its only 2 miles. Sounds like you'd actually get there quicker. Then you can ride another route and dont have to worry about the grade.
Old 01-23-09, 05:25 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Benge. For 2 miles I'd just hoof it.
Old 01-23-09, 05:40 AM
deanp
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quit your job and find a new one down the hill the other way. Coast to work and then have the work out on the way home!
Old 01-23-09, 06:43 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You've gotten a lot of good advice there. The only thing I can think of in addition to getting lower gears and spinning faster in them, lighter bike, and training is to take a break.

Yeah. there are probably a few points on that climb where you get a nice view. Stop there, drink water and give yourself a couple of minutes to just enjoy. The good thing about climbing is that you aren't going very fast, so you can settle down mentally, be here now and enjoy what is going by. Be patient. Don't worry about your speed.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-23-09, 07:26 AM
Bezier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walk there, roller blade/skateboard/kick scooter home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.