Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 11:00 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Okay, Ghaz, mr,g, rh1951, rumrun, and anybody/everybody else! Wanna' join us? The current plan is to meet at Depot Park ~9:30, ride to through Concord Carlisle, back to B'ford depending on timing. Sharon and I will probably do an additional run north to "the road that time forgot" just to sooth our souls.
Hi jmm, Bill, et al,

I'd like to join, but my itinerary would be to take the Fitchburg Commuter Rail to Concord, scheduled to arrive about 9:15 AM. Then it's a few miles to Bedford. I don't want to mess up any plans to depart promptly at 9:30 AM.

How many miles is that? The inbound train to North Station I would presume to take is 2:05 PM.

JfB
Old 04-19-17, 11:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
if my replacement bolts come in, in time for changing over my winter tires Friday, then Yes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small OEM bad jeep lug bolt.jpg (100.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-19-17, 01:01 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...How many miles is that?
Hi, Jim. If can make it, great! Depot Park to the Concord train station is only about 5 miles, so you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. Since I was thinking of going from Bedford to Concord anyway if you took the same opposite route we would be certain to hook up along the way.

Here's what I suggest. From the train station go SE on Thoreau St (which should be the street the station is on, going to the right as you leave the station) until you see a big playground on your left. That's Emerson Field. Turn left at the far end of the field onto Everett St, keeping the field on your left. Stay on Everett until it runs out. That will be Lexington St. Turn right on to Lexington and almost immediately you'll come to a fork. Go left at the fork (be careful, that road to the right is Cambridge Turnpike, it's a busy intersection for such small local roads). After about a mile you'll come to Meriam's Corner with a restored old house on the opposite side. Go left onto Old Bedford Road and follow it until it runs out. That's Rt62. If you haven't seen us by then go right onto Rt62. If you still haven't seen us for several miles you'll want to turn right onto McMahon St. Just avoid dead ends and it winds around between school areas to become Railroad Ave to Depot Park. if you haven't seen us by then, then one of us is very lost! I'll be leading us the reverse route, a trip we've done many times.

If you'd rather not risk missing us, you could just wait anywhere along that route or at the station, and we'll find you.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
if my replacement bolts come in, in time for changing over my winter tires Friday, then Yes!
Oh, just slap a Campy QR skewer on that you'll be good to go!
Hope to see you Saturday.
Old 04-19-17, 01:28 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, I always see tons of bikers on my commute to/from Boston/Lowell.
Is it you guys by any chance?

I wish the Colnago could accept wider tires than 23mm... thoughts on replacing my single speed commuter with a comfier commuter? Brompton Folder? 90's or 2000's road bike? Maybe a cross bike? It's exactly a 30 mile trip from Lowell to Boston University and I'm worried about the balance between comfort and speediness.
Old 04-19-17, 06:05 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Panza
I wish the Colnago could accept wider tires than 23mm... thoughts on replacing my single speed commuter with a comfier commuter? Brompton Folder? 90's or 2000's road bike? Maybe a cross bike? It's exactly a 30 mile trip from Lowell to Boston University and I'm worried about the balance between comfort and speediness.
Hmm, I commute Waltham to north Woburn. I supposed we could cross paths but I'm probably east of your route.

Just curious, what route do you take? The Bruce Freeman is a great path but the southern end goes too far west.

You converted a 'Nago to single-speed? If I was commuting that far around here, I'd sure want gears. Which I do and use all the time. I have an '87 Centurion Ironman with marginal/stealth-type paint, that takes 25mm, a bit bigger than 23. It's set up with good gearing. If you really looking for an alternative commuter and that it interests you drop me a PM. I'm not actively shopping it but I don't ride it much, have plenty of other bikes.
Old 04-19-17, 08:47 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts

If you find a Rawland Nordavinden (700c) or Stag (650b), you might enjoy them. Light, lively steel frames, with clearance for wider tires. Comfy speed. Light, supple tires (Compass or Soma) in wider sizes work wonders.

rod
Old 04-20-17, 05:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Hi, Jim. If can make it, great! Depot Park to the Concord train station is only about 5 miles,so you're looking at maybe 20 minutes. Since I was thinking of going from Bedford to Concord anyway if you took the same opposite route we would becertain to hook up along the way.

Here's what I suggest…

If you'd rather not risk missing us, you could just wait anywhere along that route or at the station, and we'll find you.
Thanks for your update, and I’m looking forward to the ride. If I don’t hook up, don’t worry about me; I’ll try to call in.

My original question about mileage was how far you intend to ride (not including your ride to sooth your soul) with Bill et al?. As I mentioned the train back to Boston is at 2:05PM (or around 11:30 AM)

I’m familiar with the route from Concord to Bedford. In September I rode it from the Minuteman statue to the Depot on the last leg of @jppe's cross-country tour from Oregon.
We mapped out a route to include a few historic sites that Jeri could meet us at by car. We stopped at the Walter Gropius home, a national historic architectural landmark; rode by Walden Pond; and lingered at the old North Bridge in Concord, site of the Battle of Concord on the first day of the Revolutionary War. The day was as perfect as the pictures portray...

We next rode to Bedford, and took the 11 mile Minuteman Bikepath to Arlington. We could ride two abreast, and I had a chance to hear all the details of his ride…

I was leading him most of the route, but on our way to Bedford, I asked him to lead at his usual pace. I drafted for about two miles and then said, Better let me lead, so I don’t burn out.”
Thanks

JfB
Attached Images
FullSizeRender[2].jpg (97.8 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-20-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 05:29 AM
Jim from Boston

BTW, yesterday I posted this to the Touring Forum:
When I moved to Boston in 1977,I heard about two local cycling challenges. One was sponsored by the Charles River Wheelmen to ride through all six New England States on Memorial Day weekend, about three hundred miles.

The second, perhaps a local legend was to ride through all 50 cities and 301 towns of Massachusetts.
Has anybody (else) heard of these? I think the CRW ride was organized by a member named Rudi (I think that's the spelling).
Old 04-20-17, 06:13 AM
rholland1951

BTW, yesterday I posted this to the Touring Forum:Has anybody (else) heard of these? I think the CRW ride was organized by a member named Rudi (I think that's the spelling).
I occasionally tell my girlfriend I'm going to do the second ride. Never fails to elicit a laugh.

rod
Old 04-20-17, 06:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rholland1951
I occasionally tell my girlfriend I'm going to do the second ride. Never fails to elicit a laugh.

rod
Hi Rod.

So you have heard of it as a defined ride? BTW, I indirectly quoted you this AM.
Old 04-20-17, 06:36 AM
rholland1951

I seem to remember a piece in the Globe about somebody riding it. But that was years ago now, and the crystal is cloudy.

rod
Old 04-20-17, 07:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rholland1951
I seem to remember a piece in the Globe about somebody riding it. But that was years ago now, and the crystal is cloudy.

rod
That's my recollection too. But being new to Boston circa 1977, I thought it might be a defined challenge.
Old 04-20-17, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

It was pretty awesome
you guys see any sign of this new development?

Cape Cod Rail Trail bridge installed in South Dennis - News - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA
Attached Images
CCRT bridge.jpg (97.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-20-17, 10:29 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I commute Waltham to north Woburn. I supposed we could cross paths but I'm probably east of your route.

Just curious, what route do you take? The Bruce Freeman is a great path but the southern end goes too far west.

You converted a 'Nago to single-speed? If I was commuting that far around here, I'd sure want gears. Which I do and use all the time. I have an '87 Centurion Ironman with marginal/stealth-type paint, that takes 25mm, a bit bigger than 23. It's set up with good gearing. If you really looking for an alternative commuter and that it interests you drop me a PM. I'm not actively shopping it but I don't ride it much, have plenty of other bikes.
I take Lowell St into Carlisle at Fern's then I get onto 225 until I get to Bedford and take the Minuteman into the city.
Sometimes I take Route 4 into Bedford and skip Fern's but there seems to be more traffic along that route.
There's another route along 3A that goes through Billerica and Lexington which skips the Minuteman all together.

Was kind of the opposite, I purchased a frame with the singlespeed set up already on. Tried to look for some Campy tube shifter groupsets but they're expensive.

I'm trying to make an Italian collection but I did build up a fun Centurion for my brother-in-law, comfy plush steel ride. : )
Old 04-20-17, 12:24 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts

It's possible we have crossed paths. I don't commute by bike although I would if I could. Work and family life drives a lot of my ride schedule and I end up riding really early or during commute hours often. I frequently see folks on road bikes with backpacks.
Old 04-20-17, 12:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

I'll be there. I'll need to be home at 1:00 PM. I'll bring my Smoothie.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 04-20-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 02:28 PM
rholland1951

I'll probably miss it: Saturday is multiply spoken for. There's some chance that our paths will cross on the Minuteman, however.

rod
Old 04-20-17, 02:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hi jmm, Bill, et al,

I'd like to join, but my itinerary would be to take the Fitchburg Commuter Rail to Concord, scheduled to arrive about 9:15 AM. Then it's a few miles to Bedford. I don't want to mess up any plans to depart promptly at 9:30 AM.

How many miles is that? The inbound train to North Station I would presume to take is 2:05 PM.

JfB
JIB, just follow @jimmuller instructions/suggestions I am just the Southerner along for the ride.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-20-17, 06:23 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
The ramps have been going up for a while but there was no bridge when we did the CCRT ride a few weeks ago. It's good to see progress!

My original question about mileage was how far you intend to ride (not including your ride to sooth your soul) with Bill et al?. As I mentioned the train back to Boston is at 2:05PM (or around 11:30 AM)
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I'll be there. I'll need to be home at 1:00 PM. I'll bring my Smoothie.
Ah, sorry, Jim. I missed the point of your mentioning the return train. So you and Ghaz both have reasons not to be out too long. qcpm had already made a point of us not going too hard. (I figure he'll be jet-lagged flying up from Flarda anyway.)

My original plan was to go Bedford - Concord - Carlisle - Bedford, about 25 miles, with a plan for optional mileage at the end. It would depend on how qcpm's schedule works out and how quickly we cover that ground and whether we stop much for, say, lunch. I figure we could be back in either Concord or Bedford by noon, certainly by 1PM. Ghaz, how far is "home" from Bedford? Would you be riding to/from home? Of course we could split up on the return. Sharon and I will likely do another 10 miles or so afterwards, depending on time and how we feel.

One thing, bring whatever food you'll want. We have plenty of room in the tandem's panniers to carry it. If you'll want to stop and pick up a sandwich en route we have a few choices such as Fern's in Carlisle, or heading south from Concord to Verrill Farm though that would add a different loop at the beginning. The thing is, if we are carry something then we can stop anywhere we find a good view. Otherwise we'll have to hunt around and spend time.

If you haven't done so already, send me your cell number, in case we have trouble connecting Saturday morning.
Old 04-20-17, 06:41 PM
Ghazmh

The ramps have been going up for a while but there was no bridge when we did the CCRT ride a few weeks ago. It's good to see progress!

Ah, sorry, Jim. I missed the point of your mentioning the return train. So you and Ghaz both have reasons not to be out too long. qcpm had already made a point of us not going too hard. (I figure he'll be jet-lagged flying up from Flarda anyway.)

My original plan was to go Bedford - Concord - Carlisle - Bedford, about 25 miles, with a plan for optional mileage at the end. It would depend on how qcpm's schedule works out and how quickly we cover that ground and whether we stop much for, say, lunch. I figure we could be back in either Concord or Bedford by noon, certainly by 1PM. Ghaz, how far is "home" from Bedford? Would you be riding to/from home? Of course we could split up on the return. Sharon and I will likely do another 10 miles or so afterwards, depending on time and how we feel.

One thing, bring whatever food you'll want. We have plenty of room in the tandem's panniers to carry it. If you'll want to stop and pick up a sandwich en route we have a few choices such as Fern's in Carlisle, or heading south from Concord to Verrill Farm though that would add a different loop at the beginning. The thing is, if we are carry something then we can stop anywhere we find a good view. Otherwise we'll have to hunt around and spend time.

If you haven't done so already, send me your cell number, in case we have trouble connecting Saturday morning.
I can always break away and head back. I'm 35-40 minutes from Concord Center.
Old 04-21-17, 05:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Hi all,

I likely will have access to the family car this Saturday so I can be very flexible about my schedule.

FYA, I was perusing the Living Car Free Forum this this morning and came up on this perennial thread,Where are you cycling ... for fun... this weekend?,” and I thought tomorrow’s ride, on the weekend and likely fun, is worthy of comment. (The names have been changed, to protect the innocent ).

PS: The Hour-by-hour forecast on Weather.com, as of 7:40 AM today, for 9:00 AM on Saturday is cloudy (20% chance rain) 48°.Rain is predicted to last through today as showers (currently 100%) tapering to few showers (30%) by 4:00 AM.

Having the car allows the luxury to bring two bikes if I have to defer the decision which to ride. I'm fastidious about the carbon fiber bike...it may be water soluble.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-21-17 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-21-17, 06:37 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's ride sucked. It was wet and cold. ... I took the bike back from work and left my car at work yesterday and the weather was beautiful. I should've brought a change of pants for work because now I'm just soaking in my jeans.
Old 04-21-17, 06:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Jet lagged isn't the beginning of it after yesterday's adventure in airport living. Spent over 7 hours in Charlotte, NC, airport because of fog messing up the entire Atlantic seaboard's flight schedule. Missed our second leg, into Manchester, NH, and along with a Division's worth of others, had to make do with the few remaining seats anywhere. Finally got into Portland, Me, at 8:15 last night, we had to rearrange our rental car completely and it was 11:15 when we pulled into the kids drive in Farmington. I vaguely remember my head hitting the pillow.

A 25 mile ride sounds fine, but if it goes further I am fine with that, 25 miles is a daily distance for me so I am fine with what suits the group. The 1:00pm deadline is doable, but not a hard and fast stop for me. Make it what the group wants to do. I will be happy just to meet everyone there.

My problem is rounding up some additional kit for the temps expected. Perhaps a sweat shirt will do the trick, so I am headed out to find something this morning. Hopefully, an LBS will be not to distant and I can stop in and see what is available. I just dropped the ball on bringing my additional cool weather kit. You may laugh at me as much as necessary, I am used to being the entertainment.
Old 04-21-17, 10:27 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Right across the intersection from Depot Park is a bike shop! I can and most certainly will bring along some extra clothes, even an old helmet though it has no padding fro the Velcro tabs inside. A cycling hat might help, also something I can bring. The weather is supposed be clear tomorrow, yay!
Old 04-21-17, 12:15 PM
rumrunn6

weather is supposed be clear tomorrow, yay!
fyi thanks for the invite btw, gotta beg out, more car stuff, won't bore you w the details. but ironic, isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.