Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ideas for routes: Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, and Green Valley AZ

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 02:49 PM
IndyTim

Bikes: Giant OCR1; Fisher Paragon 29er; handbuilt MTB based on IronHorse Race frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My stoker and I are planning a trip to visit family in Green Valley, AZ next March (2011). We're still roughing out the itinerary, but it looks like we'll be staying over in Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon area, in addition to Green Valley AZ.

I'm looking for suggestions for 1/2 day rides in any of those locations. My stoker is not nearly as committed to this sport as to her other passion, so easier rides of no more than 25 miles are what I'm looking for.

I found this route along the Kaibab Plateau which looks fantastic, although we'll probably have to shorten it a bit: https://www.byways.org/explore/activi.../stories/74255

Any other ideas?
Old 09-07-10, 04:38 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
IndyTim Team:
Have actually ridden Jacobs Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (and back) years ago on our tandem, a 2 day trip for us. It's about 45 miles (one way) from JL to the North Rim. Be prepared for higher elevation riding: 8,000 feet.
You can start at Jacob Lake (accomodations there may be le$$ than at the dinky old cabins at the North Rim itself) ride toward the Canyon a dozen miles, make a U-turn and come back to Jacob Lake (BTW there is NO lake at JL!)
Another option, drive to the North Rim, sightsee and get in some riding . As for your date of March . . . the road MAY not be open as it closes for winter. We rode it on a Memorial Day weekend and there was still snow in the shady spots under the trees.
The North Rim has way less traffic than the more popular South Rim; the one big overlook on North Rim is magnificent! Canyon views for about 320 degrees! Yes you'll need to do a short trail hike for that . . . no bike. So lock it up.

Alternative is riding the South Rim; bit more crowded but with LOTS choices of canyon overlooks/motels/restaurants. You can pedal all the way to Desert View if you want..
Ride a bit early (before 9 a.m.) so you can beat all those RV's on the road. Elevation on South Rim is about 1,000 ft less than the North Rim.
March would not be too crowded but still quite cool so bring appropriate gear. Nearest bike shop to the South Rim is about 80 miles away in Flagstaff.
If you've never ridden the Southwest, there are NO 7/11s, gas stations, convenience stores or bike shops 'just around the corner'. Mile after mile of NO services. So bring standard toolkit, couple spare tubes and a folding tire and load up all those bottle cages with full bottles.
You will be using ALL those gears on that tandem . . . guaranteed!

Green Valley area: Ride the Frontage Road south from Green Valley to Amado. Suggest lunch there (only 2 restaurants; hint: Look for the super huge steerhorns!). Ride back to GV.
Alternative: Haul tandem by car to Amado. Ride toward small town of Arrivaca (gets a bit hilly) and back to Amado. This is more than 25 miles, so turn around when you hit 12 miles-or-so on the odo.
Park in Amado, ride Frontage Rd to Tumacacori Mission. At Agua linda Rd. you will have to ride the shoulder of I-19 to the next exit (very safe/legal and there is NO other road), then left over I-19 and to other side Frontage Rd, turn right to Tubac (great artsy town withl good restaurants). If you wish to continue south on Frontage you'll pass through dinky town of Carmen and then to the Tumacacori Mission (well worth a visit). Retrace route back to where you parked car in Amado (under the one and only huge shade tree!).
Of course, you can tandem around Green Valley . . . interesting area, not too big and fairly flat.

Have ridden the South Rim of the Grand Canyon area at least a half dozen times on our tandem . . . a bit longer route: Flagstaff to Tusayan (Grand Canyon) to Cameron to Flagstaff. Three days, 200-some miles and some very scenic and challenging riding, but well worth it!

N-Joy Arizona next spring!

Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tandem smiley..gif (9.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-07-10, 11:07 PM
DrMarkR

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North Rim and the road to the lodge don't open until the week after Memorial Day. But surely you could do some 25 mile'ish rides out of Jacob Lake?

Green Valley: North on La Canada to Helmet Peak Rd. West up the steady grade to Mission Rd. South back down Mission into Green Valley. More than 25 miles, but not too many more?

Another: Go east out of GV towards Continental Rd and then head up as far as your legs will take you towards Madera Canyon. Return to GV, get the car and drive all the way up to the road's end! Very nice scenery and hikes as well. World famous birding, if you're into that pastime.

Not exactly GV, but you could drive up to Tucson and park at Broadway /Old Spanish Trail. Ride east/southeast on Old Spanish Trail to the Saguaro National Park. Do the 8.2 mile loop (awesome bike loop) and then cruise back down to your vehicle. If it's too many miles, simply stage closer to the monument itself, or even the monument parking lot.

I could go on....and on.
Old 09-08-10, 10:27 PM
IndyTim

Bikes: Giant OCR1; Fisher Paragon 29er; handbuilt MTB based on IronHorse Race frame

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm working through our itinerary now, and doing more research. I'll post back as things firm up.