Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What do endurance bikes accomplish for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 09:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Well, the point is that "endurance road bike" is something of an illusion.
An illusion for you maybe, but for me there are a few features that make a real difference. There is a whole spectrum of road bikes from aero race right through to gravel. There is plenty of overlap between them too. Race bikes have adopted some of the features of earlier endurance bikes such as disc brakes and wider tyres, but now endurance bikes have evolved further in that direction, overlapping more and more with gravel bikes. The Look 765 for example.

So what are you proposing here exactly? I still don’t get it.
Old 12-18-23, 09:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
You know, I was fine with whatever level of disagreement you had about the topic. And was looking forward to replying to your on-topic comment. But the bolded stuff shows your just one of those guys. Disrespect earns you everything you deserve.
The comments you bolded are on topic. You have been dismissive and insultong in this thread, misinterpreted comments by multiple posters, and moved so many goalposts, that me pointing all of it out is on topic.
You opened the door, don't be bitter if someone else walks thru.
If you actually wanted to know why people like their endurance bikes, you wouldn't have started with the biased and fully formed views you made in the first post, and you wouldn't belittle features and differences that some people find beneficial.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-18-23, 09:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yeah, instead of allowing that a good road bike is appropriate for racing AND riding, you create a new category of road bike, give it some geometry features no one asked for to delineate it from a regular road bikes and then encourage people with $8000 race bikes to buy another one for "every day".

Lemond did not recommend multiple road bikes just to ride on the road.

Can you imagine there was a time when a racing bike was also a cyclocross bike part of the year? Where can I get an endurance cyclocross bike?
But what if someone doesn't fit the race bike and does fit the endurance bike? Is the endurance bike still BS marketing to you?

I would not fit well on a Specialized Tarmac. The sl8 in 61 has 612mm stack and 408mm reach. Between that low stack and 52mm of trail, that bike straight up would not fit me well as I would be too hunched over with too much weight in the front end to enjoy the steering.
It would be OK for 10 miles and be a stupid fit for the rest of every ride.

Meanwhile, the Roubaix sl8 geometry in size 61would fit much better. 665mm stack and 403mm reach would mean I am not nearly as over the front end and the 54mm of trail would likely be really fun for steering input.

The same thing goes for the Allez Sprint vs the regular Allez. The 61 Allez would be something I could fit while the 61 Allez Sprint does not have geometry that would fit me.

But hey, you are the frame fitter so you know best. It's all a marketing scam and I should ride just quietly accept ill fitting bikes.
Absurd.
Old 12-18-23, 10:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,313 Times in 2,951 Posts
So, it took 5 pages to establish that the OP doesn't like the term "endurance bike." Awesome.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-18-23, 10:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, it took 5 pages to establish that the OP doesn't like the term "endurance bike." Awesome.
Nope. That you don't need a bunch of specialty features to sit up on a road bike ride.
Old 12-18-23, 10:43 PM
tomato coupe

Nope. That you don't need a bunch of specialty features to sit up on a road bike ride.
I think this falls under the category of "tilting at windmills." Good luck with your quest.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-18-23, 10:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
I think Kontact may also be against Trek Isospeed and Specialized FutureShock.
Old 12-18-23, 10:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Cannondale Synapse. 73.4deg hta and 56mm trail. https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...napse-carbon-4

Canyon Endurace. 73.25deg hta. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBU

Giant Defy. 73deg hta and 58.6mm trail. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1-2024

What are the specialty features in these bikes that you hate so much?

It seems like the actual issue is you have an irrational hate for the comfort suspension/absorption features from Trek and Specialized.
There are a ton of endurance bikes that don't have 'speciality features'.
Old 12-18-23, 11:01 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I think Kontact may also be against Trek Isospeed and Specialized FutureShock.
That kind of technology goes really well with 23c tires and frames made of metal rather than highly malleable composites.
Old 12-18-23, 11:03 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Cannondale Synapse. 73.4deg hta and 56mm trail. https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...napse-carbon-4

Canyon Endurace. 73.25deg hta. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBU

Giant Defy. 73deg hta and 58.6mm trail. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1-2024

What are the specialty features in these bikes that you hate so much?

It seems like the actual issue is you have an irrational hate for the comfort suspension/absorption features from Trek and Specialized.
There are a ton of endurance bikes that don't have 'speciality features'.
Apparently it wasn't clear to you: We're done. Bye.
Old 12-18-23, 11:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
https://web.archive.org/web/20160115195309/https://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/r-series.html

It's not that I am going to argue with you about the bike I own or the the marketing verbage used at the time I bought it. 7, almost 8 years over the usage of a noun in some marketing copy is a long time in memory terms. But, all that blather about comfort, stiffness in the right ways, higher stack etc was all meant to describe what we call endurance road when the term "endurance road" hadn't even been coined yet. Much less as a category of bicycle.

See for yourself.

Also, 28's fit nicely. It came with 25's OEM.
What I remember is they marketed the RS as "endurance" then they got rid of the RS and announced the new R as geometry for both race and endurance. I think this was more in line with BMC and maybe Scott. Compare to Spesh Roubaix which went to the extreme end of stack/reach.
Old 12-18-23, 11:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
That kind of technology goes really well with 23c tires and frames made of metal rather than highly malleable composites.
No worries, I was against them too; that was why I bought a Cannondale Synapse.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-18-23, 11:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,103 Times in 3,834 Posts
In my experience actually riding a Trek with an Isospeed joint at the seat tube-top tube intersection, I have found that it goes really well with a hardtail MTB. I know some folks that appreciate it with their gravel bikes, too.
Old 12-18-23, 11:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,930 Times in 6,105 Posts
What are we, like 5 pages into this nonsense?

Apparently it wasn't clear to you: We're done. Bye.
"Mom! Tell him I'm not talking to him!!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-18-23, 11:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,930 Times in 6,105 Posts
I wonder - all those people who post on here about wanting a more upright position, or thicker gloves or bar tape, or a cushier saddle - are they just imagining their discomfort? Has Big Bike poisoned their minds so that they believe they want something that nobody really wants.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-18-23, 11:37 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Eric F
In my experience actually riding a Trek with an Isospeed joint at the seat tube-top tube intersection, I have found that it goes really well with a hardtail MTB. I know some folks that appreciate it with their gravel bikes, too.
Those also sound like excellent uses.
Old 12-18-23, 11:40 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I wonder - all those people who post on here about wanting a more upright position, or thicker gloves or bar tape, or a cushier saddle - are they just imagining their discomfort? Has Big Bike poisoned their minds so that they believe they want something that nobody really wants.
This post is at least on topic, but when has anyone suggested that people shouldn't be comfortable?

And what does that have to do with long wheelbase composite bikes with 32mm tires?
Old 12-18-23, 11:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Those also sound like excellent uses.
Why would it be less excellent on a road bike intended/marketed for long rides?
Old 12-18-23, 11:44 PM
Kontact 

Why would it be less excellent on a road bike intended/marketed for long rides?
As I mentioned several times, because the bike already has a composite frame and large, low pressure tires, and is being ridden on the road. But they do add weight, require service, makes noises and cause problems.

Not an MTB. Not an aluminum frame. Not a gravel bike. Not a skinny tire bike.
Old 12-19-23, 12:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

As I mentioned several times, because the bike already has a composite frame and large, low pressure tires, and is being ridden on the road. But they do add weight, require service, makes noises and cause problems.

Not an MTB. Not an aluminum frame. Not a gravel bike. Not a skinny tire bike.
In my experience, not all paved roads are smooth all the time. Lots of bike parts require service and cause problems. If a bike has larger tires, it’s probably likely that the rider isn’t so concerned with having the lightest possible bike, and comfort is a bit more important to that person.

What I’ve learned in this thread is that an “endurance” road bike isn’t the right choice for you. I understand. It isn’t for me, either. However, I know some very good and very experienced riders who appreciate the modified fit for the way they prefer to ride. These are folks who understand the subtleties, and know what they are doing.
Old 12-19-23, 12:11 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by genejockey
More specifically, Big Head Tube.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-23, 12:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked 1,895 Times in 1,089 Posts
More specifically, Big Head Tube.
Big Head Tube related to Head Shok ?

Likes For t2p:
Old 12-19-23, 07:39 AM
Kontact 

In my experience, not all paved roads are smooth all the time. Lots of bike parts require service and cause problems. If a bike has larger tires, it’s probably likely that the rider isn’t so concerned with having the lightest possible bike, and comfort is a bit more important to that person.

What I’ve learned in this thread is that an “endurance” road bike isn’t the right choice for you. I understand. It isn’t for me, either. However, I know some very good and very experienced riders who appreciate the modified fit for the way they prefer to ride. These are folks who understand the subtleties, and know what they are doing.
That may well be. But none of those folks you mention have showed up here and been able to articulate why they need or prefer a long wheelbase to do the riding they are doing.
Old 12-19-23, 07:40 AM
PeteHski

I can see the point that with wider tyres, those suspension features become less desirable on a road bike and actually very few modern endurance road bikes include them anyway. The Roubaix is pretty unique and still relevant for those few riding on cobbles or any really rough roads.

I almost bought a Roubaix, but decided in the end that I didn’t really need a front shock and the Canyon Endurace was much cheaper. But I still have no doubt that the Roubaix would have made an excellent fast endurance bike for mixed UK roads. All the compliance in my carbon seatpost and bars is equivalent to about 5 mm of suspension travel. Add in a few more mm from 30c tyres and it’s still far from the 20 mm Futureshock travel. Do I need 20 mm travel? No. Would it be nice to have at times? Yes.
Old 12-19-23, 07:56 AM
PeteHski

That may well be. But none of those folks you mention have showed up here and been able to articulate why they need or prefer a long wheelbase to do the riding they are doing.
I prefer a longer wheelbase for high speed stability. One of my two endurance bikes (Defy) is about an inch longer than the other (Endurace) and it is more stable on high speed descents. There is no obvious downside to the longer wheelbase either for the riding I do. The longer wheelbase is a preference rather than a necessity, but that applies to most bike related features.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.