Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 08:20 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
That Soma is perfection.
Old 08-13-15, 08:35 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks, dudes. Just waiting on some new bars before I take new pictures. Also replaced the chainring and am loving the Selle Italie Flite(original).
Old 08-13-15, 08:45 PM
Noli Timere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the new pics out of the direct sunlight. The shadows mess with its loveliness.
Old 08-13-15, 08:55 PM
franswa

Originally Posted by Noli Timere
Take the new pics out of the direct sunlight. The shadows mess with its loveliness.

Trust me, I died a little on the inside. The film speed was 75 and the polaroid land camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed for you, so I opted to shoot in full sun(a previous exposure in the shade didn't come out satisfactory). I'll probably take some more in better light at some point.
Old 08-13-15, 09:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
I use one of these. I just rub my hand along the wheel occasionally. It works with either a track bike or a road bike.
Helps cyclists communicate with each other - friggin' brilliant!

And to think that I was using my mouth to make sounds that other humans can understand. What a waste. No more yelling, "Car back" or "Your Bontrager wheels are crap, bro!"

-Tim-
Old 08-14-15, 06:52 AM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Night_shift
very nice work! impressive build
Old 08-14-15, 08:44 AM
Noli Timere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
Trust me, I died a little on the inside. The film speed was 75 and the polaroid land camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed for you, so I opted to shoot in full sun(a previous exposure in the shade didn't come out satisfactory). I'll probably take some more in better light at some point.
Where are you getting film for it?
Old 08-14-15, 09:21 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
https://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/film
Old 08-14-15, 12:52 PM
franswa

Originally Posted by Noli Timere
Where are you getting film for it?

I'm actually using the Fuji FP-100c, which is still readily available and much more affordable than the impossible project stuff.
Old 08-14-15, 03:25 PM
ahkNYC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-14-15, 04:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

My first SSFG. Pictured with <1 mile on it. Brought it home today and will be using it for health/fitness, errands, coffee runs, checking out the scenery in and around Atlanta and any anything else that comes to mind.

Plans include:
  • Shimano A530 Pedals w/ SH51 single release cleats
  • Ritchey Classic C220 90mm stem
  • Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires
  • Fizik Arione Saddle

I'm open to suggestions and alternatives but only if you are nice (or if your sister is good looking and into older guys). A set of Mavic Ellipse wheels would be nice but that's a long way out.

Yes, I took off the reflectors when I got home.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-15, 04:04 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My first SSFG. Pictured with <1 mile on it. Brought it home today and will be using it for health/fitness, errands, coffee runs, checking out the scenery in and around Atlanta and any anything else that comes to mind.

Plans include:
  • Fizik Arione Saddle

I'm open to suggestions and alternatives but only if you are nice (or if your sister is good looking and into older guys). A set of Mavic Ellipse wheels would be nice but that's a long way out.

-Tim-
Good buy, always nice to see a new rider. Another thing I would suggest is upgrading that butt ugly fork to something lugged perhaps, you might wanna consider an eventual crankset upgrade too
Old 08-14-15, 04:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by thedapperest
Good buy, always nice to see a new rider. Another thing I would suggest is upgrading that butt ugly fork to something lugged perhaps, you might wanna consider an eventual crankset upgrade too
Thanks. I'm pretty stoked.

Have been on geared road bikes for decades and have wanted a FG for a long time. It's going to be nice to be able to jump on a bike without having to mount $400 worth of electronics and wear $600 worth of clothing. Its almost intimidating like "how am I going to ride without GPS/heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, Assos bib shorts, etc., etc., etc?"

It does need proper pedals/shoes and these have to come first. All my road bikes are Speedplay. I need a shorter stem for fit. Then I'll probably try to wear out the tires through the fall and send a letter to Santa.

-Tim-
Old 08-14-15, 05:03 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm pretty stoked.

Have been on geared road bikes for decades and have wanted a FG for a long time. It's going to be nice to be able to jump on a bike without having to mount $400 worth of electronics and wear $600 worth of clothing. Its almost intimidating like "how am I going to ride without GPS/heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, Assos bib shorts, etc., etc., etc?"

It does need proper pedals/shoes and these have to come first. All my road bikes are Speedplay. I need a shorter stem for fit. Then I'll probably try to wear out the tires through the fall and send a letter to Santa.

-Tim-
A cadence sensor certainly wouldn't hurt, especially on fixed, I know plenty of guys who ride with em, I'd have one myself but I spent the money of bars and a stem instead heheh
Old 08-14-15, 07:24 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
My hoopty... Felt Brougham I got from my neighbor for $35.. Going to strip and powdercoat the frame eventually

Old 08-14-15, 07:27 PM
Night_shift

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
with all due respect upgrading a fork because someone on the internet thinks its "butt ugly" is rarely a good idea. Now, granted a fork is a substantial upgrade.

Personally I'd ride the hell out of it for a year or two completely stock. When stuff starts to fail look at replacing points of contact: the seat, the bar tape, the pedals. Then move inward; the crank wheelset, etc.

Granted, you are going to pick up some pieces here and there out of love but make it a project of patience.
Old 08-14-15, 08:19 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with all due respect upgrading a fork because someone on the internet thinks its "butt ugly" is rarely a good idea. Now, granted a fork is a substantial upgrade.
Of course, it's just my 2¢, dude can do whatever the hell he wants with it, it's his bike
Old 08-14-15, 08:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Personally I'd ride the hell out of it for a year or two completely stock. When stuff starts to fail look at replacing points of contact: the seat, the bar tape, the pedals. Then move inward; the crank wheelset, etc.

Granted, you are going to pick up some pieces here and there out of love but make it a project of patience.

Of course, it's just my 2¢, dude can do whatever the hell he wants with it, it's his bike
I appreciate the feedback from those more experienced. It meas a lot. They are just opinions/suggestions. It isn't world peace. No worries guys. Hopefully hell has nothing to do with this.

Somewhere between replace when worn and all out modification is where I'm at. A few upgrades which will give maximum bang for the buck or are needed for safety and then ride the heck out of it.

Clipless pedals and proper shoes are going to be a huge upgrade. I rode it 15 miles this evening for the first time. It is very hilly here in NW Georgia and I'm not a climber by nature. 12% grade is not uncommon and the ride was pretty brutal in spots. After two decades of clipless pedals I really wanted to be able to pull up on pedals for extra power on the steep parts. Pedals and shoes will happen first.

Pads will be swapped to Coolstop salmon colored pads for safety reasons. I have used these almost since day one and they are amazing, especially in the wet. I've removed the back brake and will run a front brake. The brakes on the bike are really disappointing. (Please all note that I spelled brake correctly)

The saddle is a comfort issue and will shed a little weight but is not high priority. I feel that there is a lot of weight in the wheels and trying to keep all that mass spinning adds lots of work. Light wheels would be huge upgrade for this bike but I have a daughter studying aerospace engineering at Georgia Tech and tuition ain't cheap. Donations would be warmly welcomed.

Keep any suggestions coming.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-14-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 09:57 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ahkNYC
Nominate this for best first post ever.
Old 08-14-15, 10:02 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Plans include:
  • Fizik Arione Saddle

-Tim-
Nice bike, as is. Having plans for what you'll do with it is a great idea. "Just ride."
Old 08-14-15, 10:34 PM
Noli Timere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. It's great. I wanted to play with the levels a bit. I was trying to tell where he was near Central Park by the buildings in the background. Hope you don't mind.

Old 08-14-15, 10:58 PM
ahkNYC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
click here for answer --> https://goo.gl/maps/Vk3rV

here's another one...

Old 08-14-15, 11:56 PM
Regulatori

Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts

Plans include:
  • Fizik Arione Saddle

-Tim-
Cool bike...I picked up an older used one not too long ago.

Want to do me a huge favor? Could you tell me your frame size and then measure your head tube in mm? It would be the "E" measurement in this picture...

I'm trying to figure out if Bianchi only measures the head tube only (the steel tube itself and nothing else) or they also include the upper/lower headset sections. (The upper/lower headset sections will add an additional 20mm to the measurement) Thanks a lot.
Old 08-15-15, 07:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Regulatori
Cool bike...I picked up an older used one not too long ago.

Want to do me a huge favor? Could you tell me your frame size and then measure your head tube in mm? It would be the "E" measurement in this picture...

I'm trying to figure out if Bianchi only measures the head tube only (the steel tube itself and nothing else) or they also include the upper/lower headset sections. (The upper/lower headset sections will add an additional 20mm to the measurement) Thanks a lot.
The bike is a 55.

Is the picture what you are looking for?

The steel tube only is ~5 1/8" or ~130mm.

-Tim-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bianchi.jpg (42.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-15-15, 09:57 AM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1997 Pinarello Monviso
eventually plan on turning this back into a proper road bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.