Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss PR1400 wheel spokes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 07:08 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, thinking of getting the wheelset but want to know if a spoke breaks would I be able to replace it? Or would I have to send the wheel away?
​​​

Old 04-03-20, 12:59 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
That wheel seems to use the “DT aero comp® straightpull” and “DT aerolite® straightpull” spokes. Both of which are extremely common/popular. Shouldn’t be an issue to replace.

You can see the replacement procedure on page 10 of the dicut wheels technical manual.

What makes you ask the question?

Last edited by smashndash; 04-03-20 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 05:50 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It would be wise to have some extra spokes on hand whether you need then now or not. Say two or three spokes in the various sizes for your bike.
Old 04-03-20, 06:24 AM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
That wheel seems to use the “DT aero comp® straightpull” and “DT aerolite® straightpull” spokes. Both of which are extremely common/popular. Shouldn’t be an issue to replace.

You can see the replacement procedure on page 10 of the dicut wheels technical manual.

What makes you ask the question?
Thanks. Sorry I missed that

It helps in making my decision of buying or not. Not that I usually break spokes but I don't like having rims that I can't fix if something stupid happens like a broken spoke.
Old 04-03-20, 09:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
As smashndash mentioned in post #2 DT spokes are very common for this wheelset. But, as so many things are short run or proprietary these days I always recommend checking in on the mfrs. website every year or so to see if parts are still being made. I'd say you're being smart to think ahead if you plan on keeping these for a few years. You're pretty safe with these particular spokes though.