Notices
Southern California Southern California

Riding During Coronapocalypse?

Old 04-02-20, 10:19 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Riding During Coronapocalypse?

After being furloughed from work a few weeks ago, I've been spending most of my time on the rollers, and feeling guilty on the rare, solo outdoor rides.
But now this video with Dr. Price
has me thinking perhaps it might be okay to ride solo daily.

Without telling anyone they're wrong, and showing respect to your fellow SoCal riders, please tell me how you're handling this question and why?

Or if you have any authoritative links on the subject, I'd appreciate seeing those.

Peace, stay well, and safe riding!
Old 04-02-20, 10:40 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I go out riding sometimes. Go out riding, but just be sensible.
Old 04-03-20, 01:23 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Found the following from the exact text from the Stay at Home Order on covid19.ca.gov (pasted directly):

Outdoor recreation

Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?

Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

and

Can people still go hiking or visit State Parks?

Californians can walk, run, hike and bike in their local neighborhoods as long as they continue to practice social distancing of 6 feet. This means avoiding crowded trails & parking lots.
Old 04-03-20, 06:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Watched the same video twice and posted it on the CV sub-forum. I have been riding solo which is my norm. I just avoid MUPS, GMR, parks and other obvious public gathering areas. I am seeing small groups of 3-4 riders maybe once per ride. The rest are solo and we do not talk to each other.
Old 04-03-20, 07:18 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
yep, riding solo (as is usual). I'll ride in the pre-dawn hours during the week, at dawn on the weekends. The local MUP (SART) is pretty barren at first light, and I'm long-gone-off-it by the time it starts to get crowded (mid-morning). FWIW: The vehicle traffic on the roads at dawn has been really light, makes riding out there on the weekend tolerable. Pre-dawn during the week the vehicle traffic went from light to almost non-existant.

FWIW 2: I'm still working, but working from home on administrative stuff. I expect that'll last at least a few more weeks before some hard decisions have to be made on staffing reductions. I'm almost at retirement age so hoping they'll have some sort of deal to get some of us to leave. .
Old 04-03-20, 10:24 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
riding solo as usual as well. mixed in some boonie rides where i wouldn’t normally see more than a handful of walkers/hikers/cyclists anyway. on the times i have delved into dtown san diego, it’s been a ghost town and easy to stay away from anyone else. with the city closing down the parks/beaches, the usual congregating spots like balboa park, fiesta island, mission beach/pacific beach boardwalk, etc are a no go. embarcadero is really the only area with signs of life and pedestrian traffic down there is about 20% of the usual so it’s a simple matter to cycle through there now. the lone “hot spot” i’ve seen are the big, northside stairs at the sd convention center that are the obvious workout choice for many. but even there, people have gotten the message. there are about five other great stairways to work out on at the convention center that have never had anyone using them-until now.
Old 04-03-20, 11:38 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

I'm just glad we have confirmation that we're within the letter of the order. I was feeling guilty on my two road ridesI'm caffeinating up right now and getting ready for a PCH cruise and the weather is so lovely! I'm so excited, the strong coffee really isn't necessary.

Ride safe out there! I'll be in my usual Mondrian on my Peloton. Say hi if you see me, but keep your distance!

Last edited by calamarichris; 04-03-20 at 11:43 AM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 04-03-20, 01:02 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I just avoid ..., GMR, ....
Is GMR really that bad? With the closed road (still?) I was thinking it would be better than the Santa Monica mountains.

I haven't been out to those parts since last fall, but want to start revisiting them now that the weather is better. My plan for Saturday was the standard go up 39 and descend GMR. How do the 39 and GRR compare? Perhaps 39 -> GRR -> Baldy -> long flattish ride back in the IE. My only complaint ever about GMR is too many weekend warriors that do not know how to climb or hold a line.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 04-03-20, 01:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
My preference is to encounter the least amount of hikers, cyclists, skateboarders, unicyclists, runners, etc as possible. GMR can get pretty busy on the weekends therefore I will avoid it with the pandemic. I have better options right off my driveway where I will encounter very few ppl.
Old 04-04-20, 08:31 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Signor Calamari!!! Good to see you here, making another contribution to the English language (Coronapocalypse). Yeah, who would've thought that the best way to save the world is to sit on our asses and drink beer? Naaah, I'm riding. Just got back from a 55 mile ride around OC. Tons of people outside - cyclists, runners, walkers, roller skaters. I read exactly the same extracts that you posted, so I knew it's OK as long as you abide by those guidelines. First time I see your video, which also confirms that it's OK to be outside. I've got a question for you though - which of Dr. Price's 4 virus-busting techniques was not available in 1520?
By the way - the picture that you posted is a BF classic! I wonder where these guys are now. It will be so cool to have a BF reunion ride one day.
Old 04-05-20, 10:46 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Hi Tavareetch!
Glad to see you're also doing your part to protect our nation's mental hygiene. I did a 38-mile solo ride on PCH the day before yesterday, but after 3 weeks of isolation, and before that 3 months of working and schooling too hard to even look at a bike, just riding to Torrey Pines and back were tough on a breezy day. Then I remembered I had a stiff 11-mile roller ride the day before.
Looks like we've got rainy days ahead this week, so I'm going to get out again this morning for another great ride on the coast. Maybe take the Muffinhead along. Ride safe!

Old 04-05-20, 05:56 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Hi Tavareetch!
Glad to see you're also doing your part to protect our nation's mental hygiene. I did a 38-mile solo ride on PCH the day before yesterday, but after 3 weeks of isolation, and before that 3 months of working and schooling too hard to even look at a bike, just riding to Torrey Pines and back were tough on a breezy day. Then I remembered I had a stiff 11-mile roller ride the day before.
Looks like we've got rainy days ahead this week, so I'm going to get out again this morning for another great ride on the coast. Maybe take the Muffinhead along. Ride safe!
It didn't rain much here (just a bit in the morning), but I chickened out and went running. Let me know when you put a Saint Bernard in that basket - I'll come ride with you and hopefully will be able to keep up.
Old 04-06-20, 02:40 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I hear that bright colors attract the virus.
Old 04-07-20, 02:25 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, you absolutely can ride, but do it alone!

I've noticed more cyclists on the road. Unfortunately, I've also been seeing way too many mini-pelotons with a half dozen or so riding in a pack. Don't do that.

Personally, I've upped my mileage goals since I'm working from home. There's a few PR's that I'm targeting as motivation to get through this.
Likes For tinrobot:
Old 04-09-20, 11:50 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?
Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.
When we're in motion, we need much much more than six feet of social separation. That distance is based on the distance it takes for heavy particles from someone's exhale to hit the ground.

When you're doing 10,15,20 mph behind someone, you're flying right into their exhale. And, heavy breathing carries many more particles than normal breath. Of course, the fresh air helps disperse things. Lot's of variables.

What's the exact distance? I don't know, so I ride solo .. call way ahead if I happen upon someone so they can move right and I can move left ... early, and as a courtesy, I stay left until I'm a bit up the road
Old 04-09-20, 04:18 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hey Chris, Jimmy.. good to see you guys on here. So I have been hunkered in my garage(zwift) for the last several years and made an "outdoor" comeback just before the coronacopalypse. I am on week 6 of a 12 week structured workout plan so should be ready to go back outside in May. Maybe I'll see if I can upload one of the workouts to my garmin device one of these weekends and hit my backyard ride (Lytle Creek)
Old 04-09-20, 05:26 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Heyyy! Glad to hear from you Leatherneck! And that you're thriving and on the upswing.

Now I'm craving a BF 3D reunion if there are any of us after the Cavechicken flu.

Old 04-10-20, 11:20 AM
Tycho Brahe 

I'll be going up to Wilson Observatory (or Redbox if the final stretch is closed). Keep your distance!
Old 04-10-20, 11:36 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I'll be going up to Wilson Observatory (or Redbox if the final stretch is closed). Keep your distance!
I enjoy that ride. Redbox is open, but the gates to the observatory are closed.
Be careful if you ride today: it's wet, cold, and there's snow up there.

you can see realtime images here (I can't post the link, since I'm a noob on the forum, but you can piece together the URL)

hpwren.ucsd.edu / cameras / wilson.htm
Old 04-10-20, 12:59 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Thanks for the update and that link. I am assuming you cannot post links since you are new Mt. Wilson Observatory - HPWREN Cameras

The reason for choosing Wilson is because I would like to see a little bit of snow. I attempted to go up at the end of last year (December 30th to be exact) after the rain, but turned back at Clear Creek since it was cold and windy. Not that cold, but definitely windy. My last ascent back in January was fine. A couple of years ago, I went up to the Observatory with the roads closed due to ice. I eventually slipped on said ice on the way down (was going verrrrry slow)!
Old 04-11-20, 08:42 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by Genaro
Hey Chris, Jimmy.. good to see you guys on here. So I have been hunkered in my garage(zwift) for the last several years and made an "outdoor" comeback just before the coronacopalypse. I am on week 6 of a 12 week structured workout plan so should be ready to go back outside in May. Maybe I'll see if I can upload one of the workouts to my garmin device one of these weekends and hit my backyard ride (Lytle Creek)
Hey Genaro,
Good to see you back here! It looks like the lousy weather and the "stay home" stuff make us bored. Let's do what Chris said when this virus business is over. Maybe GMR on the 4-th of July?
Old 05-27-20, 10:27 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Jimmy- I am going to be a rebel and calendar this ride. Maybe I'll bring a cooler w/ "Gatorade" for post ride hydration
Likes For Genaro:
Old 06-07-20, 08:06 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Riding solo or with a friend with social distancing