Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 03:22 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FirstSarnt
I have no idea why you insist on arguing with all of us. I gave my opinion of how hydraulic discs on my heavy loaded bikes and clipless pedals perform for me; it was not a technical argument. If you prefer calipers and standard pedals, so be it. I personally find climbing easier when I can spin my feet rather than only alternately pushing down, and I like being securely fastened to the bike at higher speeds or when the surface is bumpy. My preference, OK?
Opinions =/= facts. You can't dismiss facts as a "technical argument" and rely on subjective opinions without any evidence to support them.

Last edited by American Euchre; 05-19-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 03:24 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
Good point. I've always thought it interesting that the same brake system is used for all road bikes, whether used by Clydesdales or nymphs.

You should try Kool-stops ... IMHO, they feel firmer and stop better than the standard Shimano pads.

But they wouldn't help you descending in the rain on a loaded touring bike ... that is a place where disc brakes would be a clear choice.

Oh, I vary between 155-165.
Controlling for rider weight, hydraulics do not stop any sooner than rim brakes on alu rims, in dry conditions.

They stop a bit sooner in wet conditions.

A heavier rider will take longer to stop compared to a lighter rider.

However, a heavy rider will not stop any sooner by switching from rim brakes to hydraulics on dry roads.
Old 05-19-16, 03:30 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
A few years back, when I was an active member of the 50+ forum, I remember innumerable posts about whether to go clips, how to go clips, proper technique when falling while clipless, etc. I learned a lot and loved the discussions.

Now, as I reenter the of cycling, I see a lot of posts about disc brakes. Sure, they were around back then, but I don't remember them being a "hot topic" as they appear to be now.

My understanding is that disc brakes are terrific if one is riding in inclement weather, such as rain, snow, or when out on mountain trails crossing streams, etc. If one is riding almost exclusively in dry weather, it would seem to me that disc brakes are simply added weight and probably not worth it.

Am I missing something? And have disc brakes become a lot better than five, six years ago? Does it make sense to get the disc brake model of a given bike like the Sirrus or the Trek 7.x series or the Giant Eclipse for normal riding conditions?
Your points are spot on. I don't think you need to use the qualifier however. Rim brakes with alu rims stop as well as hydraulics in dry weather, FOR EVERYONE, not just for you.

Also, there is plenty of evidence showing clipless are less efficient than standard platforms. I use both. I use clipless on longer rides. I use platforms for shorter rides with a lot of traffic where I would have to clip/unclip a lot otherwise with clipless.

I don't pretend that clipless are functionally superior in any way, or that they make me faster. It's just a road cycling convention that I follow.
Old 05-19-16, 03:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre
Controlling for rider weight, hydraulics do not stop any sooner than rim brakes on alu rims, in dry conditions.

However, a heavy rider will not stop any sooner by switching from rim brakes to hydraulics on dry roads.
Hey ... I'm the one agreeing with you!

Well, except for the notion that discs stop a bit sooner in wet conditions. I'd say the improvement is more than just a bit ... it's substantial.

Old 05-19-16, 03:52 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey ... I'm the one agreeing with you!

Well, except for the notion that discs stop a bit sooner in wet conditions. I'd say the improvement is more than just a bit ... it's substantial.
I wish we had a comparison test. GCN attempted it, but with carbon rims for rim brakes. This obviously will skew the results heavily in favor of discs.
Old 05-19-16, 06:42 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Opinions =/= facts. You can't dismiss facts as a "technical argument" and rely on subjective opinions without any evidence to support them.
Why can't we just let people be happy with what they feel best with? It's their opinion just as you have yours.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-19-16, 06:54 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When vintage frames start coming with discs I'll get a set. So maybe like in 25 years I'm thinking.
Old 05-19-16, 07:02 PM
FirstSarnt

Bikes: Specialized Source Expert Disc commuter/hybrid/tourer, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike, Burley Duet Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me clipless works. My feet are always in the right place on the pedal for power application, I can bunny hop the bike over obstacles, I can apply power through all 360 degrees of my pedal stroke or at least completely unload the rising pedal, and I can stand up when needed without thinking about if my foot is securely on the pedal. My mountain and touring pedals are dual purpose (platform one side/SPD the other) for when the terrain gets dicey and I may need to dab or even bail in a hurry, but when hustling down a bumpy trail I like knowing that the bike will go where I do and vice versa. My road bike has Look Keo for most of those reasons.

My road bike has calipers for lightness. My mountain and touring bikes have wider wheels and tires and carry much heavier loads through all kinds of weather and riding conditions and are stopped by hydraulic discs. I have also read several accounts of rims that needed replacement during cross country rides because the cantilever brakes - the other brake of choice for heavily loaded bikes with big tires - caused failure or near failure of the rim and/or tire because of the heat generated by braking at high speed under load and the wear on the braking surface.

My 2000 model hardtail aluminum mountain bike with v-brakes weighed 28 pounds. That was replaced by a 2007 model with dual suspension and hydraulic discs that weighs 29.5 pounds. I weigh 215, so the 1.5 pound difference is inconsequential. I'm not dismissing anything, merely stating what works for me. If there was nothing subjective in selecting equipment we would all be riding the exact same thing.
Old 05-19-16, 07:17 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Why can't we just let people be happy with what they feel best with? It's their opinion just as you have yours.

Any chance you could keep a close eye on this thread and tell me who wins?

Old 05-19-16, 08:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,047 Times in 4,477 Posts
There have been a number of disc brake threads on the road forum. They are always full of anti-disc emotion, dogma, and expert commentary.
I've not owned a disc braked road bike but there have been many times when rim brakes seemed inadequate. I'm over 200 pounds and there are some steep, twisty descents (Westlake Blvd, Balcom Cyn, Deer Creek) where I would like a little more.
Also, I've done mountain riding in the rain when my rim brakes were so bad I had to drag them constantly to try and keep some stopping power. Of course, the thick, black aluminum slurry gets all over everything, including the rider.

Let's not forget that road discs are still in early developement, they may get lighter, stronger, better as time goes on.
We should try to keep an open mind, remember how funky early mtb suspension systems were?
Remember how awful some early Campagnolo rim brakes were?

Last edited by big john; 05-19-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:56 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why can't we just be happy with the facts and let the facts speak for themselves?

Why is it necessary to hyperbole, fear-mongering and exaggerated unfounded claims without any evidence to back it up?

Why can't we just stick with facts? The facts are the same, regardless of opinion.
Old 05-19-16, 09:30 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Why can't we just be happy with the facts and let the facts speak for themselves?

Why is it necessary to hyperbole, fear-mongering and exaggerated unfounded claims without any evidence to back it up?

Why can't we just stick with facts? The facts are the same, regardless of opinion.
I think you are perhaps the fear mongering one. So I suggest you leave this thread please so everyone can post their opinion freely without un necessary backlash. Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-19-16, 09:39 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you are perhaps the fear mongering one. So I suggest you leave this thread please so everyone can post their opinion freely without un necessary backlash. Thank you.
No one's receiving any "unnecessary backlash." I'm simply pointing out that fraudulent, fear mongering statements such as "rim brakes cause death" or that they are "vastly superior" are without any basis in fact.

If we want to talk facts (many disc supporters don't apparently), then let us discuss the hazards of discs:

SRAM Recalls Hydraulic Bicycle Brakes Due to Crash and Injury Hazards | CPSC.gov
Old 05-19-16, 09:47 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

No one's receiving any "unnecessary backlash." I'm simply pointing out that fraudulent, fear mongering statements such as "rim brakes cause death" or that they are "vastly superior" are without any basis in fact.

If we want to talk facts (many disc supporters don't apparently), then let us discuss the hazards of discs:

SRAM Recalls Hydraulic Bicycle Brakes Due to Crash and Injury Hazards | CPSC.gov
So you're not leaving this thread?
Old 05-20-16, 05:13 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Rim brakes are not less convenient to use or maintain.

Rim brake pads wear out and have to be changed. When I used rim brakes, a set was good for a month during the winter. Snow got in and inhibited braking. Once the rims wear out, it's $500 to build my dynohub into a new wheel. Fail. Drums, in contrast, go a year or more (3,000 miles) between service intervals. For me, the bike has to meet or exceed my car in convenience, dispatch reliability, and service intervals or no point in riding.
Old 05-20-16, 01:55 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who crashed on his tandem this weekend. And knowing the road he was descending (very, very steep and winding), it could have been much, much worse. How did he crash? His brake failed ... a disc brake.
My buddy got some video of the brake failure/crash, so I thought I'd share it with everyone for the pucker effect.

This descent is STEEP, and the very steepest, most difficult section is a hairpin turn. I did this ride back in 2009, and I still remember that turn. The wide angle perspective of the GoPro doesn't do it justice. He knew of the turn, and was being very careful descending into it ... then his brakes failed ... and at the worst possible time.

The sound track masks the comments he and his stoker made near the end ... but you can imagine what was said.

Start the video at about 4:00 and behold the meaning of true terror. lol

Old 05-20-16, 05:35 PM
Kindaslow

Has anybody won yet? You are supposed to let me know. Then, I will know which bikes to sell and which bikes I should keep!
Old 05-21-16, 07:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It would seem that anyone buying a new bike or frame would make sure it is fitted with caliper mounts. Like it or not disc brakes are the thing of the future.
Old 05-22-16, 12:09 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
No more like the new CF that in time will be just another fad. Maybe.

I prefer rim brakes though I can see the appeal in the MTB/ATB world. Road, uh, no.

But, everyone can do as they wish and will, matter not to me as long as I can buy rim brake bicycles. You know, LPs disappeared over night and the new CD took over. Now, people are buying LPs again. Some things can be improved, some cannot.

It is my opinion, they are ugly, heavy, complicated and in most uses offer no advantage sufficient to outweigh the negatives not to mention they do outweigh rim brakes. I guess if I strap a JATO bottle to my axx and launch myself down a mountain incline I might want for something more than a rim brake that can already exceed the g load needed to endo a bike.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-22-16 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 03:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
All the velomobile drivers I know prefer drum brakes. I would want a drum drag brake on a tandem. I'm happy with disc brakes on the front of my lowracers and rim brakes on the rear. I like the light weight of rim brakes on my highracer (but I know I have to be REALLY careful in the rain.) There's a moral somewhere in this post.
Old 05-22-16, 03:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Has anybody won yet? You are supposed to let me know. Then, I will know which bikes to sell and which bikes I should keep!
I think we all win.
Old 05-22-16, 03:52 PM
Kindaslow

I think we all win.
Agreed, given we get to buy our bikes with the brakes we want, the color we want, etc....

And, we have life sooooo good that we get to argue over something like this!!!
Old 07-14-16, 06:59 PM
jfarwell

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE Am I missing something? And have disc brakes become a lot better than five, six years ago? Does it make sense to get the disc brake model of a given bike like the Sirrus or the Trek 7.x series or the Giant Eclipse for normal riding conditions?[/QUOTE]

Great question. We have two tandems. One has newer ultegra calliper brakes. These are absolutely great, and the rear one actually works better than the disk that came on the brake. My only reservation is that 700 *28 mm tires just fit. Our other bike has tpr spyre disk brakes. I don't think they actually stop us quicker, but they work with our 650b * 42 mm tires. Overall, if not for the tire clearance matter, I would stick with rim brakes.
Old 07-14-16, 07:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

They stop a lot faster than rim for me in dry weather. Modern disc aren't that heavy when you consider you don't need that thick braking rim (at least for alloy wheels). And the weight is concentrated at the axis of the wheel where it doesn't matter as opposed to the braking rim at the edge of the tire, where weight matters more.

Last edited by GeneO; 07-14-16 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 07:27 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
My buddy got some video of the brake failure/crash, so I thought I'd share it with everyone for the pucker effect.

This descent is STEEP, and the very steepest, most difficult section is a hairpin turn. I did this ride back in 2009, and I still remember that turn. The wide angle perspective of the GoPro doesn't do it justice. He knew of the turn, and was being very careful descending into it ... then his brakes failed ... and at the worst possible time.

The sound track masks the comments he and his stoker made near the end ... but you can imagine what was said.

Start the video at about 4:00 and behold the meaning of true terror. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ous0MBoVTg

A rider on a downhill in the TDF this year had the rim brake heat up the rim so much that the glue holding the tire on melted, the tired rolled off going around a corner, and the rider went down. A teammate grabbed the tire and burned his hand

Last edited by GeneO; 07-14-16 at 07:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.