Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Next Project: 70's Puch Rugby Sport

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-13-17, 08:37 PM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Proof that I'll do anything for a pretty chain case: found this while skimming Craiglist. Frame was straight and the rim lock had the key! She is missing the original B66, rear rack, skirt guard, dynohub, and has some random paint damage. The bad part is 27" rims.

I did take her out for little stroll to our local brewery. She need some love but still a pretty nimble 3 speed. The handlerbars look decent but I'm curious if VO Porteur or albatrosses would look and feel better. At 21" she fits nicely. If all works out, I have my commuter replacement.

Puch1.jpgPuch chain case.jpg
Puch_rear brake and wheel lock.jpgPuch-key-and-beer-run.jpg
Old 05-13-17, 09:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
You have an eye for unusual bikes. And that color is special.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-13-17, 09:57 PM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You have an eye for unusual bikes. And that color is special.
Thanks! I'll take that as a compliment. Some guys like redheads, some women love a beard. I have a thing for full chaincases and fenders.

Not sure I could match that paint. I'm hoping the white scuffs buff out.
Old 05-14-17, 12:04 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Renngrrl
...Not sure I could match that paint. I'm hoping the white scuffs buff out.
If it's white on top of the dark original paint, it very likely will. Just get some rubbing compound on a damp cloth and get to work. The pics make the paint look like it's in very good condition indeed.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-14-17, 03:58 AM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Beautiful! It's cool that it has pump pegs. I have a Puch too, and really like it.
Old 05-14-17, 04:22 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Rugby Sports is the bike that got me into vintage. It's a really nice bike!
Old 05-14-17, 04:55 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I like, functional character.
Old 05-14-17, 06:45 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
How is the beer? Cool coasters, if you have any of them, wanna trade for some German ones?

The bike looks like a swell commuter. Punch was a good brand. Is the shifting unit an AW or Austrian made?
Old 05-14-17, 09:38 AM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
How is the beer? Cool coasters, if you have any of them, wanna trade for some German ones? The bike looks like a swell commuter. Punch was a good brand. Is the shifting unit an AW or Austrian made?
AW, no date that I could see. She's off at my local LBS getting the once over. $35 to overhaul the IGH is a steal. I think the owner and techs are starting to like me because I bring them six packs as tips
On the coasters, I'll be more then happy to just send you one of two. I have something like 4 microbrew houses within easy walking distance in the bridge district. I can start a collection and slip them in the mail if you PM me your address.

Originally Posted by YoKev
The Rugby Sports is the bike that got me into vintage. It's a really nice bike!
Awesome! I'm truly a novice so this makes me feel a little better. I was unsure as she was being relisted over and over. I decided to pick her up after doing some reading here. I will say I like how light she is. Loading my other bikes into the rack is akin to crossfit training.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
If it's white on top of the dark original paint, it very likely will. Just get some rubbing compound on a damp cloth and get to work. The pics make the paint look like it's in very good condition indeed.
That's what the DH says but ya know, he's been wrong before . The color looks really purple but it's more of ruddy aubergine with gold shimmer. I find the decals totally take away from the effect. I'll know more by next weekend. Do you have a favorite? I'll be out picking up simichrome after the race today.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 05-14-17, 03:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Generally, there's no need to overhaul a Sturmey Archer hub that's not giving trouble. Normally, you just oil it. Was there a problem?

And yes, that was a compliment.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-14-17, 05:09 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The handlerbars look decent but I'm curious if VO Porteur or albatrosses would look and feel better.

[ATTACH]563184
The bars look extremely high to me, I'd drop the stem first, and see if the bars feel better. For light cleaning of scuff-marks, I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on a terry-cloth rag. It has a mild polishing agent to it that will take out minor scuffs, and leaves a mirror-like shine. Beautiful bike.
Old 05-15-17, 02:27 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally, there's no need to overhaul a Sturmey Archer hub that's not giving trouble. Normally, you just oil it. Was there a problem? And yes, that was a compliment.
Shifting was little cranky on the ride. I love that the IGH are almost bomb proof but I'd rather clean her out prior to any abuse I bring.

Originally Posted by jj1091
The bars look extremely high to me, I'd drop the stem first, and see if the bars feel better. For light cleaning of scuff-marks, I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on a terry-cloth rag. It has a mild polishing agent to it that will take out minor scuffs, and leaves a mirror-like shine. Beautiful bike.
Perfect. I remember meguiars wax from my youth. Thanks.

I'm convinced the Puch will be my townie/commuter so the upright position will work for me and I'll leave the bars for now. My commute is only 7m each way but it's all city and just one bridge. I want to see those half asleep millennials coming at me in the morning. Money for spiffy handlebars can be reserved for another project. Someone showed me a picture of Natalie Labat and now I have to have a path racer too.
Old 05-15-17, 04:38 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I really like that bike.

What's bad about 27" rims?
Old 05-15-17, 05:41 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I really like that bike.
What's bad about 27" rims?
Can't find them in cream. Really it's a non-issue to anyone but me. I just have a thing about cream tires.
Here's what they looked like complete. I can recreate the skirt guards once I figure out how they attached.

PuchRugbySports_side.jpg

Last edited by Renngrrl; 05-15-17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: picture
Old 05-15-17, 06:04 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Beautifully unusual bike. I like it. Fingernail polish is an option to match the paint color. It's cheap and can be removed easily.

What year is it? Date is usually on the hub.
Old 05-15-17, 06:20 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Beautifully unusual bike. I like it. Fingernail polish is an option to match the paint color. It's cheap and can be removed easily. What year is it? Date is usually on the hub.
Nail polish is brilliant. It's that kind of color. There is another one running around in Sacramento, a gents with no european safety tail (or whatever you call the white rear fenders)

Hub is stamped AW, no date under the grime. More pictures from an old catalog I found online. I've started using pinterest to collect links and images of these bikes. https://www.pinterest.com/renngrrl/puch-rugby-sport-bicycle/?eq=puch%20ru&etslf=8588

Rugby Sport Waffenrad.jpgRugby Sport rugby.jpg
Old 05-15-17, 06:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Skirt guards clip onto the fenders. Bike had a fork-mounted dynamo on the left blade, not a Dynohub. That white on the stays looks to me like duct tape residue (for whatever reason it's doing there), so I'd try some solvent first.

Nice little bike. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-17, 07:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Welcome to bikeforums. It's fun having you here. I have white 27" white tires. You want 'em? I was going to put them on a project, but I could put anything on it.

Old 05-16-17, 07:46 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
The pair of white tires that I have turned cream after a while.

Something Zaffiros?
Old 05-16-17, 08:14 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 138 Posts
My Puch Austro-Daimler was that same color, which the bike shop manager described as "burnt sugar". I was really hoping for a more sporting color, but the color grew on me, with it's depth (almost lacquer like) and how it changed from chocolate to deep burgundy in the right lighting.
Old 05-16-17, 10:31 AM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Skirt guards clip onto the fenders. Bike had a fork-mounted dynamo on the left blade, not a Dynohub. That white on the stays looks to me like duct tape residue (for whatever reason it's doing there), so I'd try some solvent first. Nice little bike. Enjoy!
Thanks. The paint damage is on the left side of the top tube. I'll see what magic I can accomplish when it gets home tomorrow. There is no sign of the clips for the skirt. I'm wondering if I'll have make some.

Welcome to bikeforums. It's fun having you here. I have white 27" white tires. You want 'em? I was going to put them on a project, but I could put anything on it.
That is entirely too sweet. I'd like to see how she feels after a few days commute before I dump more money in. I really am a novice so I'm trying different builds out. If she's the champ I think she might be, we can work something out. I'm still waiting for my cream delta cruisers to get here for my loop. It's killing me.

Originally Posted by uncle uncle
My Puch Austro-Daimler was that same color, which the bike shop manager described as "burnt sugar". I was really hoping for a more sporting color, but the color grew on me, with it's depth (almost lacquer like) and how it changed from chocolate to deep burgundy in the right lighting.
Most of the paint looks like enamel. And when you photograph it, it looks almost purple. I truly is an odd color.
Old 05-16-17, 10:36 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Thanks. The paint damage is on the left side of the top tube. I'll see what magic I can accomplish when it gets home tomorrow. There is no sign of the clips for the skirt. I'm wondering if I'll have make some.
You might be able to find some U-clips or C-clips in the odd hardware drawers at a big hardware store, but you'll also have to figure out how to mount them to the skirt guards. Then they'd just clip to the fender.