Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike with stock wheels you wouldn’t replace

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 09:15 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

my next bike will be an upgrade to my 105-equipped Felt Aluminum cx bike. While I really enjoy this bike, it has limited clearance (generally fine where I ride—smoother gravel). I want more versatility where I ride. I find that many bikes have wheels that are so-so. I would prefer to buy a bike with good quality wheels already included, versus buying a second set after.

I haven’t started researching yet, so for now I’m looking for what you all know! Thsnks
Old 08-12-18, 09:53 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
typically the only bikes that come with very high quality wheels are the top of the line models, and for that price you are better off buying a lesser build version and getting a second set of wheels that are better than the stockers. this approach also gives you two wheelsets, which, as many here will tell you, is a necessary thing so you can swap back and forth for different tire choices without having to change tires on the one set of rims.
Old 08-12-18, 11:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
The diamondback haanjo models come with some solid wheelsets for the $.
I've built a couple of those bikes up for co-workers.

they use standards j spokes, are an ok weight, and both had good tension.

what exactly are you looking for in a wheelset? That would help narrow down the field.
my gravel wheelset is butted spokes, 105 hubs, and h+son rims. I think they are excellent wheels and got them specifically for me, but in sure many here would want to replace then due to weight.

its all in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 08-12-18, 01:23 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Good point about separating wheel purchase from bike, otherwise I may be paying for more bike than I want, or can afford. I have two wheels for the Felt, but I could get away with one as I have a road bike for mainly road rides.

My thinking was that a good gravel bike with decent wheels can do rides where I’m om pavement less than 20%, as it wouldn’t be a sluggish beast. I use the two wheels on the Felt, one with 32 slicks and the other 33 knobbies depending on mainly pavement vs gravel. But I feel like the slicks overlap with using my road bike (can handle a bit of gravel). So...if I just had one good set of gravel wheels (tubeless) it would be one bike or the other with no overlap.

Not sure what I want in a wheel, but as I’m only 150# and my gravel isn’t too chunky, I figured I could keep the wheels and overall bike weight 22# or less. Just starting to think this out though...

Old 08-13-18, 05:20 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The diamondback haanjo models come with some solid wheelsets for the $.
I've built a couple of those bikes up for co-workers.

they use standards j spokes, are an ok weight, and both had good tension.
The HED wheelset on my DB Podium has butted spokes, which is good for a 105 level bike. Another member with the same bike weighed his wheelset and they were around 1650g which is more than good enough for me. I know the Haanjo 7C has butted spokes. The others might even if the specs don't show it. Their specs on my bike doesn't list them as butted so I was pleasantly suprised.
Old 08-13-18, 05:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The HED wheelset on my DB Podium has butted spokes, which is good for a 105 level bike .
poor word selection by me. What I meant by 'standard j bend' is that the spokes are easily replaceable j bend. They aren't tough to find bladed straight pull or anything like that.

I find quality in serviceability.
Old 08-13-18, 07:36 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
poor word selection by me. What I meant by 'standard j bend' is that the spokes are easily replaceable j bend. They aren't tough to find bladed straight pull or anything like that.

I find quality in serviceability.
I know what you meant, but I was just pointing out that the spokes are butted. Most bikes except for really high end ones usually have low end 2000+g stock wheels with straight gauge spokes. Butted spokes are a pet peeve of mine. I hate straight gauge. Besides the weight they're stiffer and ride more harsh.

I'm actually looking hard at the Haanjo 5C. In the close up pic the spokes do look non-butted but it's hard to tell.
Old 08-13-18, 12:36 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
The Axis Elite wheels on my Diverge Comp Carbon are decent. I suspect that they’re OEM rebranded DT Swiss. I ride my Ardennes + more but it’s nice to have a spare set.

Last edited by Jazzguitar; 08-13-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 09:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
If you go high enough up the range, the wheels usually get pretty good, don't they?
Wheels are where they can skimp on lower models and save $$$ with little impact. People buy a "105 equiped bike" bike, not a "DT Swiss" equipped bike, lol.

My Canyon has DT Swiss 1600 rims. they are wide about 1700 grams and bullet proof. Pretty ideal for gravel. I have a light weight carbon set for the skinny road slicks.

Its pretty easy to get a gravel bike with 3kg+ in wheels and tires. Ouch!
Old 08-14-18, 02:35 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
The wheels on my gravel bike are FSA Vision Metron 40 Clincher Carbon wheels, which appear to be okay for stock wheels. I read a few reviews before I bought the bike and they were generally positive. Having taken them off quite a few times, they do feel quite light despite being shod with gravel tyres.

The clincher for me, pun intended, was that the wheelset, if bought separately, was almost 80% of the price that I paid for the entire bike.
Old 08-14-18, 06:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The older Cervelo C3 comes with HED Ardennes disc wheels. These are highly regarded. Because Cervelo released an updated model, the older ones are on closeout.
Old 08-14-18, 06:37 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I think a lot of Salsa and Specialized models come with DT Swiss R460 -- not a sexy rim but it's a quality, bomb-proof tubeless ready clincher rim. I've had two wheelsets built with these and I've been happy.
Old 08-14-18, 07:52 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Butted spokes are a pet peeve of mine. I hate straight gauge. Besides the weight they're stiffer and ride more harsh.
Did you mean "Non-Butted spokes are a pet peeve of mine"?
Old 08-16-18, 08:26 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think if I had it to do again I would buy frames and add the exact components that meet my exact needs.

I sort of tried to do that by buying “demo” bikes from my local bike shop at discounts. I am finding I am still replacing many components. My “Cyclocross” bike has a set of tires for use on paved roads 28mm Continentals on the original rims. I also purchased Stan’s Grail X rims so I could run tubeless 700-40c WTB Nano tires on the same bike. My MTB is a 27.5+, which is more of a specialized tire. The MTB came with better components so I just set the rims that came on the bike up for tubless use.

I am outfitting my Focus bike for gravel rides at the back door of my new home in North, GA. My MTB is set up to handle a larger range of surfaces. I have become a fan of SRAM 1X systems. The simplicity and less requirement for thinking well in advance appeals to me. I just put grip shifters on the gravel/cyclocross bike, so I can shift faster over more gears. If I like the grip shifters, I may put them on the MTB too. Tires and all the other components are personal and may need to be adapted to the various surfaces people ride on, as well as the quirks of each individual.
Old 08-16-18, 09:47 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I don't see any reason why my Jamis Renegade wheels would need replacing, WTB i23 rims laced to Formula hubs. You would have to look at the Escapade or higher to get your 22# weight, though.