Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Practically new Trek Checkpoint CF frame...not great results from a small accident

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Practically new Trek Checkpoint CF frame...not great results from a small accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 09:40 AM
SkepTeach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

A friend of mine has a nearly brand new Trek Checkpoint SL...5 (I think). He had a low speed accident a couple days ago, laid the bike over on a curb, and now he's looking at having to replace the entire frame because the rear fork is structurally compromised. It's currently at a local bike shop being evaluated, but their initial assessment is that the fork is cracked all the way through. New frame: $2200! He paid $2700 for the bike. Hoping for a proration from the Trek rep since he bought it less than a month ago. If not, he's considering replacing it with an aluminum frame.

I count this as fair warning to me that even a relatively minor accident on a carbon frame can be pretty bad. Silly me, I thought one of the advantages of CF was not just that it's lightweight, but also very strong. That strength might have lower limits than I imagined. Time to be really careful on my Domane!
Old 10-29-18, 09:53 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepTeach
A friend of mine has a nearly brand new Trek Checkpoint SL...5 (I think). He had a low speed accident a couple days ago, laid the bike over on a curb, and now he's looking at having to replace the entire frame because the rear fork is structurally compromised. It's currently at a local bike shop being evaluated, but their initial assessment is that the fork is cracked all the way through. New frame: $2200! He paid $2700 for the bike. Hoping for a proration from the Trek rep since he bought it less than a month ago. If not, he's considering replacing it with an aluminum frame.

I count this as fair warning to me that even a relatively minor accident on a carbon frame can be pretty bad. Silly me, I thought one of the advantages of CF was not just that it's lightweight, but also very strong. That strength might have lower limits than I imagined. Time to be really careful on my Domane!
A few things.

There is no rear fork. I believe you're referencing the seat stays.

There are a carbon repair shops that would be able to fix your friend's frame for probably less than $400. When I had a crash, I was getting quotes between 275-350 to fix my seat stay.

CF is very strong - it can be layered in so many ways to make it extremely stiff in areas and flexible in others. However, it does not take to impact well at all.

As a personal thing, this is one of the reasons why I prefer to buy Chinese carbon frames from one of the reputable manufacturers. $4-500 for a complete carbon frameset, shipped to my door. If I have an accident like I did, a new frame isn't going to kill me financially.
Old 10-29-18, 09:56 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Silly me, I thought one of the advantages of CF was not just that it's lightweight, but also very strong. That strength might have lower limits than I imagined.
CF is "strong", but it's not great at impact resistance.
Old 10-29-18, 09:56 AM
SkepTeach

Originally Posted by musicmaster
A few things.

There are a carbon repair shops that would be able to fix your friend's frame for probably less than $400. When I had a crash, I was getting quotes between 275-350 to fix my seat stay.

CF is very strong - it can be layered in so many ways to make it extremely stiff in areas and flexible in others. However, it does not take to impact well at all.

As a personal thing, this is one of the reasons why I prefer to buy Chinese carbon frames from one of the reputable manufacturers. $4-500 for a complete carbon frameset, shipped to my door. If I have an accident like I did, a new frame isn't going to kill me financially.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm totally a noob so not familiar with the terminology. I will pass along your words of advice to my friend. Turns out he has insurance, so he may be able to just claim it and save quite a bit. Just has to decide if he wants to potentially see a premium increase.
Old 10-29-18, 09:57 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Get it repaired for a fraction of that and not worry about it. With a good fix that frame can be (and look) as good as new.
Old 10-29-18, 11:10 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
don't buy bikes that you can't afford to replace
Old 10-29-18, 11:12 AM
SkepTeach

Originally Posted by rms13
don't buy bikes that you can't afford to replace
lol that's funny
Old 10-29-18, 11:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
J r a...
Old 10-29-18, 11:53 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Assuming this is not a troll post keep in mind that any impact against a fixed curb hard enough to damage a Carbon fiber frame, in this case the seat stays which are one of the weakest points, would like have damaged a steel, aluminum or titanium frame as well.

Old 10-29-18, 12:17 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
lol that's funny
funny, but that's my first rule of buying a new bike. If you crash you can easily total an aluminum frame or steel frame too not to mention wheels and components. A lot of people run out and spend money on a bike that they can't really afford let alone afford to replace. It's not Trek's fault that your friend crashed his bike. If he has some sort of insurance policy that would cover him crashing his bike and the deductible is low enough to make it worth using it to replace the frame then he'll be lucky. Trek will probably offer a discount on a replacement frame as well
Old 10-29-18, 02:28 PM
SkepTeach

Originally Posted by rms13
funny, but that's my first rule of buying a new bike. If you crash you can easily total an aluminum frame or steel frame too not to mention wheels and components. A lot of people run out and spend money on a bike that they can't really afford let alone afford to replace. It's not Trek's fault that your friend crashed his bike. If he has some sort of insurance policy that would cover him crashing his bike and the deductible is low enough to make it worth using it to replace the frame then he'll be lucky. Trek will probably offer a discount on a replacement frame as well
It's certainly a noble philosophy. I guess that's what insurance is for though, and thankfully he has it. Like auto insurance, most people couldn't reasonably purchase a replacement car for one they total.

I was just surprised that what really did seem like a minor accident could basically 'total' his bike. And it definitely makes me much more cautious on my Domane. I'm getting the same insurance, with a $200 deductible, once I see how they handle his claim. $200 and the ~$20/mo premium I can easily afford. Buying a new frame possibly multiple times depending on my luck, not so much.
Old 10-29-18, 06:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by musicmaster
A few things.

Rear fork indeed refers to the rear triangle:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#fork
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-29-18, 06:34 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
Assuming this is not a troll post keep in mind that any impact against a fixed curb hard enough to damage a Carbon fiber frame, in this case the seat stays which are one of the weakest points, would like have damaged a steel, aluminum or titanium frame as well.

what got my first carbon bike was an impact with a doorknob.
Old 10-29-18, 06:41 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

what got my first carbon bike was an impact with a doorknob.
and it would like put a big ol' dent on an aluminum or steel frame as well.
Old 10-30-18, 08:38 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

I was just surprised that what really did seem like a minor accident could basically 'total' his bike.
His bike has been damaged, but it's very likely that it can be repaired
Old 10-30-18, 09:42 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Don't have it repaired. You know what will happen.
Old 10-30-18, 09:45 AM
SkepTeach

I think with his $200 deductible, his best option is going to be to make a claim against his insurance. Depending on how well they handle it (Velosurance) I will be getting my own policy with them ASAP. My Domane SL8 would be even more expensive to replace.
Old 11-02-18, 04:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I think with his $200 deductible, his best option is going to be to make a claim against his insurance. Depending on how well they handle it (Velosurance) I will be getting my own policy with them ASAP. My Domane SL8 would be even more expensive to replace.
and.. there it is. I had a feeling that this was heading toward a company name reveal..
Old 11-02-18, 04:53 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
and.. there it is. I had a feeling that this was heading toward a company name reveal..
I'll wait in the Jeep while Joe goes in and circumcises the baby rhino. Oh, no, look what .... let's cut to a commercial break.

Joe's wife sure is grateful that Joe has life insurance. Wild Kingdom is brought to you by Mutual of Omaha. Buy your policy today!
Old 11-02-18, 04:56 AM
SkepTeach

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Oh, please tell me you think I'm some kind of covert ad for a company. Maybe I'm like that little girl on the Southpark episode who was an ad, and didn't even realize it!

At any rate, he got some news from the bike place about repair vs replace. Repairing his frame, since he has two structurally compromised points, would cost in the neighborhood of $1k. Last I heard, he's made the claim and is waiting to hear back. In case anyone cares, I'll update the thread when he gets resolution. Or maybe keep advertising in my unknown capacity as a semi-sentient bot? Who knows.

It's early, it's Friday, and I have 150 kids at school to try to convince that it's worth learning about ecosystem interactions on this gorgeous fall day. On the plus side, it'll be a great day to ride after school!
Old 11-02-18, 08:17 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Carbon fiber repair is expensive because of fear. Easy to put a high price on fear. The last guy you want to repair your CF frame is the mechanic who is trembling in fear of liability. You want a mechanic who treats this as normal everyday repair work. As there is already an accusation of placing ads on this thread I will not mention the name of the shop I would use. Doesn't make sense to use any but local in any case. Proprietor of shop has forty years CF experience, worked with Trimbles on original Kestrels. His price would be more like 200 for what has been described. If the job is a lot worse than described an entire rear triangle could be created for 1000.

Most frames brought to my guy he calls the mfr and they replace the frame immediately for free. It does help he has been around and knows many in the industry. Then he has a leftover frame he can repair and give away. He does give them away but few will take them as CF is still the new kid on the block and fear rules. Many high priced and completely repairable frames go to the dumpster. ---Trek is about the worst on any type of post sale service. If they cared about making the next 2700 sale they would handle this.