Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you increase your speed if you’re already averaging over 20mph (10 miles)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you increase your speed if you’re already averaging over 20mph (10 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 07:35 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So I plan on starting hardcore training over the fall/winter and I have never really seriously trained before. For 10 miles I average 23 in a TT. I want to be able to average 26mph for 10 miles. I notice watching crit cat 5 races on YouTube that they can maintain 25mph without being aero and with little aggressive and casual like peddling. For me if I wanted to hit 35 for 30 seconds + on a flat I would have to really pedal hard. I want to know what kind of training got them to that point?

Just some stats:
Height: 5’3”
Weight: 115lbs
Average weekly miles: 200

Thanks!
Old 08-10-18, 08:17 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinabbot
So I plan on starting hardcore training over the fall/winter and I have never really seriously trained before. For 10 miles I average 23 in a TT. I want to be able to average 26mph for 10 miles. I notice watching crit cat 5 races on YouTube that they can maintain 25mph without being aero and with little aggressive and casual like peddling. For me if I wanted to hit 35 for 30 seconds + on a flat I would have to really pedal hard. I want to know what kind of training got them to that point?
Read Joe Friel’s “Cyclist’s Training Bible.”
Old 08-10-18, 08:30 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
eBike?
Old 08-10-18, 08:31 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Take a look at the power curve published by Kurt kinetic.

23 mph takes about 325 watts.
26 mph takes about 475 watts.

At 26mph, it will take 23 minutes to go 10 miles.
That's an insane power to hold for someone as light as you are currently.

Maybe you're able to cut down on the power required by getting into an efficient TT position.
A wind tunnel, expensive bike, and a coach would be needed.

Old 08-10-18, 08:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
You are doing well at 23mph over 10 miles. Local shops can connect you with local racers who will provide a lot of coaching if they are decent about it. My son got into racing this year (Only commuted before this) and tried out for a team and was given a position. He was able to ride like yourself, but not hold 25mph for very long at all. Has a sprinters body so is considerably heavier than you in build and it is tougher for him to maintain higher speeds for extended periods of time. He can wind up pretty quick and put out the watts for a stop sign sprint fairly well.

The team took him on because his personality fit the bill and he was able to ride in the pack with them over several longer rides without falling off the back. I think working with someone who has experience (Cat 3 racer and rides with a serious team) will benefit you more than following tips in a book. It has worked well for my son as he is able to do 80 miles averaging 23mph and will only get better. At the races he is a mid-packer, and has finished in the top ten several times as a Cat 5.
Old 08-10-18, 08:46 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Start training with a power meter
Old 08-10-18, 08:48 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
With your build TT will never be your strength.

You're built like a climber. So climb.

Old 08-10-18, 08:54 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I think working with someone who has experience (Cat 3 racer and rides with a serious team) will benefit you more than following tips in a book.
I wonder if you’ave ever looked at “Trainig Bible.” It’s much more than a collection of “tips.” Friel includes the basics of cycling physiology and covers principles of training. For example, he explains how what’s required for riding 35 mph for 30 sec. is completely different from riding 26 mph for 10 miles.
Old 08-10-18, 08:55 PM
kevinabbot

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
You are doing well at 23mph over 10 miles. Local shops can connect you with local racers who will provide a lot of coaching if they are decent about it. My son got into racing this year (Only commuted before this) and tried out for a team and was given a position. He was able to ride like yourself, but not hold 25mph for very long at all. Has a sprinters body so is considerably heavier than you in build and it is tougher for him to maintain higher speeds for extended periods of time. He can wind up pretty quick and put out the watts for a stop sign sprint fairly well.

The team took him on because his personality fit the bill and he was able to ride in the pack with them over several longer rides without falling off the back. I think working with someone who has experience (Cat 3 racer and rides with a serious team) will benefit you more than following tips in a book. It has worked well for my son as he is able to do 80 miles averaging 23mph and will only get better. At the races he is a mid-packer, and has finished in the top ten several times as a Cat 5.
wow. He can average 23mph for 80 miles straight? That’s incredible
Old 08-10-18, 09:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

wow. He can average 23mph for 80 miles straight? That’s incredible
No, if he can do it solo, on a non-TT bike, it's incredible. If it's in a race, it's typical. The local amateur weekend races around here will regularly average +25mph. Race speed has nothing to do with solo speed. The guys mid-pack are doing 25mph on 160 watts. That speed solo takes about 400 watts.

For you OP, at your diminutive size, you're going to need to put out a nearly astonishing amount of power to sustain that speed for any period of time. Like... 6W/kg or better. CAT1 power, basically.
Old 08-10-18, 10:06 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Well you have already gone from 27min for 10 miles (22.2mph) to 23mph in less than a week so I would suggest you carry on doing what you are doing.
You will be up to 26mph quite soon.
Old 08-11-18, 03:22 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
.... If it's in a race, it's typical. The local amateur weekend races around here will regularly average +25mph. Race speed has nothing to do with solo speed. The guys mid-pack are doing 25mph on 160 watts. That speed solo takes about 400 watts.
Let's not make it TOO intimidating. The takeaway, and the easy answer to the original question is simply: find a peloton to sit in the middle of.
Old 08-11-18, 04:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Train seriously. There is a forum for that here. (https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutrition/)

Don't listen to the naysayers. You are built like a climber, so you will never succeed in TTs ... they never said to Chris Froome. Ridiculous.

You need a serious training program, and you need to stick with it. I am sure, in the internet age, the hardest part is picking one which suits both your needs, schedule, and abilities at this time .... which is just more work, and obviously you are willing to work to go faster.
Old 08-11-18, 06:06 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You need to grow and take up basketball.
Old 08-11-18, 06:10 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Well you have already gone from 27min for 10 miles (22.2mph) to 23mph in less than a week so I would suggest you carry on doing what you are doing.
You will be up to 26mph quite soon.
Just 3 weeks in fact
Old 08-11-18, 06:21 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Take a look at the power curve published by Kurt kinetic.

23 mph takes about 325 watts.
26 mph takes about 475 watts.

At 26mph, it will take 23 minutes to go 10 miles.
That's an insane power to hold for someone as light as you are currently.

Maybe you're able to cut down on the power required by getting into an efficient TT position.
A wind tunnel, expensive bike, and a coach would be needed.

That's not a good example. Kurt says it's power curve is similar to riding up a 1% grade. I can go considerably faster on the road than on my Kurt trainer for the same effort. This chart doesn't apply to a rider out on the road.

Their power curve chart is very useful for estimating power while on the trainer. Just look at the current wheel speed to convert it to a power number. (It's can be a little off the actual power numbers, though.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just some stats:

Thanks!

I don't think that most amateur racers can hold 25 mph with a "casual" effort. It's hard to see if they are going all-out. Check their heart rates on the race videos with the stats boxes, it's usually quite high, not too much lower than the max efforts on the last lap.

Getting more aero can boost your speed:
On this speed-power calculator, with height 63 inches, weight 115, bike weight 17. (This calculator is just an estimate, of course, but it shows the effects of changes.)
240 watts, hands on the bar tops: 21.1 mph
240 watts, hands on the drops: 23.5 mph
240 watts, triathlon bike (aerobars, etc): 24.9 mph

It takes a lot more power to go just a little faster:
240 watts, hands in the drops: 23.5 mph
288 watts, hands in the drops: 25.1 mph. That's 20% more power to go 1.6 mph faster.
Just a half mph speed increase needs 255 watts instead of 240 watts. Even small speed increases means you are getting stronger.

~~~~~~~
Your goals
What are your goals?
Time trials really benefit from getting more aero, especially an aero riding position that still lets you go full power. On flatter courses, it's holding the maximum sustainable power for the whole race.
Hill climbs are about watts per kilogram, going hard on the steep parts, and knowing how hard to ride to get to the top the fastest way. (and moderate grades are still partly about aero)
Racing is repeated sprints and quick recovery, and smart racing tactics, staying out of the wind.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-11-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 06:28 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Just 3 weeks in fact
29 mph in 6 weeks
Old 08-11-18, 06:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts

Just some stats:

Thanks!
You have a lot of room left to add muscle to your frame. It doesn't happen in the blink of an eye, but I'm envious that you're only 17

Really you just need to ride the heck out of your bike. I'm a complete newb when it comes to racing (I don't!) but thanks to Strava I follow different levels of racers. And they all put in significant mileage, most of them have a minimum of 6k miles now. The one guy I follow, who is part of a sponsored team, has 11k miles by now this year. He was often doing 80 miles/day throughout the winter and into the spring before racing. These guys will solo a 100 miles at around 21mph here with about 2,500ft of climb.

Being 17 means you'll be looking at life after high school very soon, so maybe you should start planning on where you want to go that has a good cycling community. Whether it's community college, University, or a trade school, or heck just a job in a community with a lot of cycling.

I'll say this - find a mentor!!!!!! Humble yourself, and seek out people that seem willing to let you tag along. Never take a helping hand for granted - and be aware of when someone is trying to help. You'll face alot of competition for others attention, and don't let jealousy get the best of you.
Old 08-11-18, 06:29 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
That's not a good example. Kurt says it's power curve is similar to riding up a 1% grade. I can go considerably faster on the road than on my Kurt trainer for the same effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
well duh. Trainers are stationary.
Old 08-11-18, 06:43 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
The kreuzotter.de bike calculator indicates that you're holding about 230 watts now (23 mph on flat road), and that to get up to 26 mph on a flat road, solo, you'll need to maintain 320 watts. That's 6.1 watts per kilogram at your current weight. 6.1 w/kg for 20+ minutes is elite. You're at 4.4 w/kg now, which is quite good. But that means more when you're battling gravity, uphill, than when you're battling air resistance, on the flat.

edit: Also, as mentioned, 25 mph in the pack is way different than 25 mph solo. Crits aren't won by one rider going solo with massive power and riding away from the peloton for the whole race. You don't need 6.1 w/kg to win a crit. You need enough power to stay in the pack when you need to, to make the break when you need to, and then to break in front before the end.

... For 10 miles I average 23 in a TT. I want to be able to average 26mph for 10 miles....

Last edited by Athens80; 08-11-18 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 11:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
These calculations are all stupid. Are they accounting for CdA? How can you possibly know what that is for this new rider? He hasn't posted power data so we have no way of estimating that. There can be *huge* variations in CdA for a rider of a given size given their bike fit and body proportions. With the right build, little dudes can be world-class in the TT (think Leipheimer). Also he's only 17 so he might get a little more muscular in the next few years and if he's a newbie rider he's only going to get more powerful.

OP I say screw the advice of everyone here and just keep at it. Experiment with pacing and position and as long as you keep riding you'll get faster.
Old 08-11-18, 11:53 AM
Athens80

Originally Posted by TMonk
These calculations are all stupid. Are they accounting for CdA? How can you possibly know what that is for this new rider? He hasn't posted power data so we have no way of estimating that. There can be *huge* variations in CdA for a rider of a given size given their bike fit and body proportions. With the right build, little dudes can be world-class in the TT (think Leipheimer). Also he's only 17 so he might get a little more muscular in the next few years and if he's a newbie rider he's only going to get more powerful.

OP I say screw the advice of everyone here and just keep at it. Experiment with pacing and position and as long as you keep riding you'll get faster.
No they're not accounting for CdA as measured in a wind tunnel. They're using the information available.

Certainly OP will get more muscular and more powerful.

I wouldn't use Leipheimer at 130-something pounds as the example. Levi used EPO and testosterone and underwent prohibited blood transfusions off-and-on between 1999 and 2007. He was stripped of all race results from June 1, 1999 to July 30, 2006, and July 7 to 29, 2007. Which TT's did he win?

[edit: Leipheimer retained his third place finish in the 2008 Olympics ITT, so world class there.]

[more off-topic info: Leipheimer does retain 10 professional ITT wins, at races below the World Tour level, plus 3 prologue wins, including the 2008 Critérium Du Dauphiné Libéré prologue.]

What is the lowest power you could conceive of for a 5'3" rider to cover 10 miles at 26 mph?

Last edited by Athens80; 08-11-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 12:01 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Athens80
What is the lowest power you could conceive of for a 5'3" rider to cover 10 miles at 26 mph?
With a very low CdA of 0.19, Crr of 0.002, and total equipment weight of 15 lbs., it could be done with ~200 W. per analyticcycling.com. At ~3.40 W/kg, that's not an exceptional number.
Old 08-11-18, 12:07 PM
Athens80

Originally Posted by asgelle
With a very low CdA of 0.19, Crr of 0.002, and total equipment weight of 15 lbs., it could be done with ~200 W. per analyticcycling.com. At ~3.40 W/kg, that's not an exceptional number.
Agreed. I'd be interested to hear what it takes to get that slippery, and who's achieved it.
Old 08-11-18, 12:20 PM
kevinabbot

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
The kreuzotter.de bike calculator indicates that you're holding about 230 watts now (23 mph on flat road), and that to get up to 26 mph on a flat road, solo, you'll need to maintain 320 watts. That's 6.1 watts per kilogram at your current weight. 6.1 w/kg for 20+ minutes is elite. You're at 4.4 w/kg now, which is quite good. But that means more when you're battling gravity, uphill, than when you're battling air resistance, on the flat.

edit: Also, as mentioned, 25 mph in the pack is way different than 25 mph solo. Crits aren't won by one rider going solo with massive power and riding away from the peloton for the whole race. You don't need 6.1 w/kg to win a crit. You need enough power to stay in the pack when you need to, to make the break when you need to, and then to break in front before the end.
That’s something I don’t get I haven’t been in a group (yet) but I hear so much about how it’s soooo much faster. With the effort I put into 23mph solo could I hit 25 with the same effort in a group. It just seems wild that air can make that kind of difference. And you’re gonna feel some wind because you won’t be perfectly in line but you won’t get a lot. I ride a Trek ALR Domane 4 Disc which is a road bike but not a “race” bike like the Madone. I can’t afford that kind of bike as a 17 year old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.