Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Group Riding.......No Fun Anymore

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Group Riding.......No Fun Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 11:53 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve found that if riding in a group you’re less likely to be taken down if you jump out front and ride so hard everyone wants to ride your wheel. And it’s also a great workout! Just sayin!!!!

There are very few riders that I’ll ride aggressively with anymore. Like others I like a nice cushion riding in a group these days.
Old 08-13-18, 12:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I love group rides. I just don't get to do as many of them as I'd like due to work and family commitments.
Old 08-13-18, 12:37 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Groups are great but at a certain point I need a break from all the social interaction. Melancholics don't do well in social situations.

After two or three group rides I'm ready for some long solo rides in the middle of nowhere, the further away the better.

A friend said that his bike is a "Two wheeled cloister."

-Tim-
"Two wheeled cloister" Great Quote. I prefer groups of three: me,myself &I
Old 08-13-18, 01:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
When I rode motorcycles, the one thing I absolutely would not do is one of those crazy parade rides. I can't for a minute understand the appeal and riding in close formation with anyone is just unnecessary risk in my book. If I'm riding with a group it's a small group that knows how to leave some space between them. I keep my distance from other riders and expect they do the same.
Old 08-13-18, 01:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
When I rode motorcycles, the one thing I absolutely would not do is one of those crazy parade rides. I can't for a minute understand the appeal and riding in close formation with anyone is just unnecessary risk in my book. If I'm riding with a group it's a small group that knows how to leave some space between them. I keep my distance from other riders and expect they do the same.
The point of riding in group is to share the work. You go faster and farther in a group than you could ever do on your own. Plus it's social, or it can be if you want it to be. I don't think there's any comparison to be had with motorcycles, since there's no work to be shared and it's too loud to chat.
Old 08-13-18, 02:26 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
In my glorious past I lead a weekly group ride. At one point it was 2 a week, however I lost interest when I stopped racing and found no need to go hammer myself into the ground. I really, really like riding alone, and almost always do so. I do ride with my daughter whenever possible as she is a great companion to ride with and is a very conversationalist and uninterested in riding her brains out.
Old 08-13-18, 02:49 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I guess I'm the exception ... I love riding with other people.

But there is a caveat. Most of the group rides I do are in the mountains where you're either going up or down. When we're going up, the speeds are low and crashes infrequent and people space out well. When we are going down, the speeds are high and I keep my distance.

It's the group rides going 18-22 MPH on the flats that are of concern, and I don't do much of that.
Yep, it really depends on the group. I've lead groups of 20 strong, considerate, riders averaging 25+ MPH and it's been like a beautiful current in the ocean. My usual choice - about 5 friends with lots of climbing and BS'ing on the flats.
Old 08-14-18, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I stepped leading club rides because I got tired of dealing with goofy people who would sometimes show up. I may go on a group ride now and then, but they are usually the type that I can drop out of if there is too much stupidity afoot.

When I do self-contained touring, I always go alone. It's my me time. Nothing like being out on the road for a week or two by yourself. Don't have to stick to anyone's schedule but my own. Don't have to deal with anyone's problems but my own. Looking forward to another cross-Pennsylvania tour starting the weekend after Labor Day.
Old 08-14-18, 08:56 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Yep, it really depends on the group. I've lead groups of 20 strong, considerate, riders averaging 25+ MPH and it's been like a beautiful current in the ocean. My usual choice - about 5 friends with lots of climbing and BS'ing on the flats.
Yep ... that's it!

Old 08-14-18, 11:13 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
In my experience, the most dangerous riders are men and women 30-50, in "B" groups, who think they actually know what they're doing.
In my experience many of those folks do know what they're doing; the problem is, they don't know what they're not doing. And that's what makes them dangerous to be around.

I love group rides. I think I prefer them to riding solo. But I hate riding around folks who don't know how to ride around folks.

For the past decade or so I've been a Leader/Coach for the annual 12-week progressive training series my Club sponsors that teaches cooperative group cycling skills. And admittedly part of the reason I do this is selfish: I want there to be more cyclists who I would willingly get into a high-speed paceline with.

Doesn't always work out...but when it does, it's a thrill to ride with these people.

fwiw, of the four serious crashes I've been involved with over the past 10 years, two were while riding with less-experienced cyclists...and the other two were while riding with more experienced cyclists! Go figger.
Old 08-14-18, 11:59 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I gave up on group rides right around when I turned 50. I was active for a couple of years in a club that was mostly older, especially young retirees. I did ride more with a group, even a couple of centuries, and got involved the the club leadership, too. But I got frustrated with some of the problem personalities and ride pacing. I wasn't generally concerned about safety (although there was one ride leader who was quite reckless) as it was mostly a C and B level club. There was one particularly well-endowed woman who had bike handling and balance issues, though. On one ride she went down hitting gravel on a turn. On another, she side-swiped her husband and he ended up in a ditch- boy was he pissed!

Around here, group rides don't seem to enjoy a good reputation as ambassadors of the sport. They tend to take over entire country roads or lanes rather than riding single or double file, creating a hazard to themselves and a nuisance to motorists. That's not a club I want to be part of, either.
Old 08-14-18, 02:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This video demonstrates the sort of stuff that makes me nervous on some group rides and on the MUP.

Primarily:
  • Using aero bars anywhere around other humans. I see this on the narrow MUP almost every ride and it always pisses me off. Superman position, hands nowhere near the brakes, passing others at a combined closing speed of up to 50 mph, on a narrow path that's basically just a sidewalk, not even a proper bike path. Aero bars belong on solo rides, period.
  • Overlapping wheels. I always stay at least a full bike length behind people, even if I know they're experienced -- because I don't trust the other people ahead of them, who I can't see.

Almost as bad is draping the forearms casually over the top of the bar. I saw an example of this in a local weekend gravel ride, that some regard as a race. One photo showed a rider in the lead of a pack with her arms draped across the top of the bar. If she's who I think she is, she's a pro or former pro and very experienced. But that pseudo-aero position on gravel while leading a pack is just asking for a mass fuster cluck disaster, risking several following riders. No way I'd draft someone doing that. Save the arm-drape thing for good roads, not in tight packs, on flat straightaways.

But other than that, sure, group rides can be fun and challenging.

BTW, in defense of the guy who went over the bars in this video:
He didn't panic and lock up the front brake, causing the endo. Watch carefully in slo-mo -- he never touches the left brake lever.

Apparently four spokes broke in the wheel-to-wheel contact, causing a death wobble. The rider did the smart thing by gradually slowing and heading toward the grassy shoulder for a soft landing. But it appears the wobbly front wheel dug in and turned unexpectedly in the gravel, possibly simultaneously jammed by a broken spoke. That appears to be the cause of the endo.

And he was so close to that soft landing. Just barely missed the grass by a foot.

Best part is when he looks up at the camera and says "Did you get that on film?"

When you gotta pull some dignity out of a screwup, that's the way to do it.
Old 08-14-18, 03:03 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still enjoy both group rides and solo rides. As has been mentioned, you need to be careful.
Old 08-14-18, 03:07 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by canklecat
This video demonstrates the sort of stuff that makes me nervous on some group rides and on the MUP.

https://youtu.be/GaQJB_bWA4c

Primarily:
  • Using aero bars anywhere around other humans. I see this on the narrow MUP almost every ride and it always pisses me off. Superman position, hands nowhere near the brakes, passing others at a combined closing speed of up to 50 mph, on a narrow path that's basically just a sidewalk, not even a proper bike path. Aero bars belong on solo rides, period.
  • Overlapping wheels. I always stay at least a full bike length behind people, even if I know they're experienced -- because I don't trust the other people ahead of them, who I can't see.

Almost as bad is draping the forearms casually over the top of the bar. I saw an example of this in a local weekend gravel ride, that some regard as a race. One photo showed a rider in the lead of a pack with her arms draped across the top of the bar. If she's who I think she is, she's a pro or former pro and very experienced. But that pseudo-aero position on gravel while leading a pack is just asking for a mass fuster cluck disaster, risking several following riders. No way I'd draft someone doing that. Save the arm-drape thing for good roads, not in tight packs, on flat straightaways.

He didn't panic and lock up the front brake, causing the endo. Watch carefully in slo-mo -- he never touches the left brake lever.

Apparently four spokes broke in the wheel-to-wheel contact, causing a death wobble. The rider did the smart thing by gradually slowing and heading toward the grassy shoulder for a soft landing. But it appears the wobbly front wheel dug in and turned unexpectedly in the gravel, possibly simultaneously jammed by a broken spoke. That appears to be the cause of the endo.

And he was so close to that soft landing. Just barely missed the grass by a foot.

Best part is when he looks up at the camera and says "Did you get that on film?"

I think the lesson here is don't do group rides with triathletes.
Old 08-14-18, 04:56 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't have friends, don't participate in club group rides (no club locally anyway). I do a few century/fondo type organized rides but I don't have to ride with a group or even chat .
Old 08-14-18, 05:52 PM
sjfoote081

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 1, Motobecane Fantom 650b

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I don't mind riding with a small group of experienced cyclists but what always gets my goat is when the ride is listed as casual 12 mph average and then some fool gets on the front and starts hammering. So much for casual riding. Was on group ride Sunday (silver comet trail) and this happened. The pace got too quick for conversation, so we basically rode in silence for the first hour plus. Not what I had in mind, so I excused myself and dropped off the back. Would have been more enjoyable by myself....
Old 08-14-18, 07:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by sjfoote081
I don't mind riding with a small group of experienced cyclists but what always gets my goat is when the ride is listed as casual 12 mph average and then some fool gets on the front and starts hammering. So much for casual riding. Was on group ride Sunday (silver comet trail) and this happened. The pace got too quick for conversation, so we basically rode in silence for the first hour plus. Not what I had in mind, so I excused myself and dropped off the back. Would have been more enjoyable by myself....
I've seen that on every group ride, from casual to B-group rides that should be A-group.

My proposal is to make every ride leader use a city rental bike. Easier to draft. They're more likely to ride the posted average speed.
Old 08-15-18, 04:30 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
My best bicycling friend is my wife, Machka. We have done quite a few rides together, from simple touring to complex hundreds of kilometres of randonnees. We can get a bit far away from each other sometimes, but never leave another behind. And if things get overchallenging or difficult to deal with we haven't gone against one's suggestion to find a campsite or somewhere to stay, or just go back to the start.

Both of us have ridden with other people, it isn't something that we have to do. We've ridden on PBP with largish groups away from the start, but have ended up independent after the first 100km or so.
Old 08-15-18, 06:54 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
My best bicycling friend is my wife, Machka. We have done quite a few rides together, from simple touring to complex hundreds of kilometres of randonnees. We can get a bit far away from each other sometimes, but never leave another behind. And if things get overchallenging or difficult to deal with we haven't gone against one's suggestion to find a campsite or somewhere to stay, or just go back to the start.

Both of us have ridden with other people, it isn't something that we have to do. We've ridden on PBP with largish groups away from the start, but have ended up independent after the first 100km or so.
I have been following your recovery on this forum. Glad to see you are feeling better Rowan.
Old 08-15-18, 06:59 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
And I love it when a 20-something that can't fix a flat or hold a line lectures me on the absolute necessity of a helmet or some other irrefutable fact learned yesterday.
Old 08-16-18, 07:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
And I love it when a 20-something that can't fix a flat or hold a line lectures me on the absolute necessity of a helmet or some other irrefutable fact learned yesterday.
Or when a self appointed father figure shows up to lecture everyone slower than him about how to ride properly.

-Tim-
Old 08-16-18, 07:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
BTW, I just saw some photos from a large gravel event that would make me hesitate to ride in some groups. In one photo a group of about 10 cyclists were closely spaced behind a lead rider whose arms were draped across the inner center of the top of the drop bar.

Yeah, it's more aero. Yeah, lots of pros do it. Yeah, it's probably okay on pavement with experienced riders who aren't tightly packed in a pace line.

But on gravel, with an ad hoc group of riders who only have being strong and fast in common? Nope.

I already pull well to the side of anyone I see using aero bars in group rides, even on pavement. Unless it's a time trial or solo training ride, I just can't see any sense in using aero bars in a pack. Shouldn't even be used on MUPs which are mostly just narrow sidewalks.

That would be my main pet peeve in any group ride.
A group ride needs a Directeur Sportif who establishes and enforces the rules...And one rule is to not use aerobars (or only use them if pulling, not drafting).

There are plenty of other good rules, some of which will be specific to the ride's philosophy and personnel. (e.g., is it a "no drop" ride?)

But yeah, I get it. Riding in a group opens up more possibilities for mishaps, and I was once that guy who caused a crash, and I certainly have seen others cause crashes. I also once wrecked a wheel because a rider didn't point out a tree branch on the road. But I do think that regular group riding enhances a cyclist's handling skills.
Old 08-16-18, 08:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

https://youtu.be/GaQJB_bWA4c

Primarily:

If that's all it took to break four spokes, it was just a matter of time before that wheel failed.
Old 08-16-18, 03:11 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride solo 100% of the time. The only exception is at an organized/charity type affair. Given that, I know I have some bad habits and like was already mentioned, there are things I don't do that should. Because I'm always alone, It's not a habit to point out pot holes, or make sure I'm not going to swerve in front of anyone going around one. I know my mind is going to drift off at some point and I'll lapse and cause a wreck. When I ride a charity type event, I stay at the back when it starts and slowly pick my way through until things naturally thin out and I can comfortably settle into my own pace. I generally don't even sneak in a bit of drafting when a group passes me. I like those types of events, they give me motivation to keep getting on the bike. Once I pay the fee for the ride I feel obligated to put in the prerequisite miles. Seems silly but it works for me. I don't think I'll ever go looking for a group to ride with.
Old 08-16-18, 03:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Koyote
If that's all it took to break four spokes, it was just a matter of time before that wheel failed.
Eh, I dunno. Wheel with minimum spokes. I've only ridden old school bikes with enough spokes to outfit a peloton.

Looks like his front wheel might have snagged the quick release on the rear wheel of the guy ahead. That could have broken several spokes very quickly. Lucky it didn't take down the other rider too, although the rear wheel contacts are usually recoverable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.