Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Thanks to: stevesurf, henria86, jeebusaurousrex

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 09:51 PM
mattyknacks

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for making my first laps in Prospect Park a grand event. Also, thanks to the waitress for commenting on my new spandex shorts!
Old 07-01-08, 10:52 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys are the essence of cool

I didn't have it tonight, but I'm glad I puttered along. At least I got some good eats (awesome shrimp burrito)!
Old 07-02-08, 05:42 AM
henria86
Boosted Mr2

Bikes: Klein's Merlin's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
matty steve dave,
any time guys that u want to ride after work no probs... but we have to ride in groups.. in 2 or more.. after the dinner, my bro the cop spoke with me about, alot of bikes have been being robbed, if your riding alone..
Old 07-02-08, 10:07 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Robbed? While riding PP? I'd think that unless we're there after dark it's too busy for anyone to jump a biker without attracting attention. I also notice cop cars patrolling the park on most evenings.
Old 07-07-08, 01:51 PM
brooklyncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
Robbed? While riding PP? I'd think that unless we're there after dark it's too busy for anyone to jump a biker without attracting attention. I also notice cop cars patrolling the park on most evenings.
Sorry for "eavesdropping" on what I now realize was meant to be a personal message, but wanted to share this.

I recall an incident that made headlines about 8 years ago (maybe more?) in which a cyclist in PP was stopped by a couple guys demanding his bike. He resisted, they stabbed him to death. Anyone remember details?

Update: I searched The New York Times online archives. It was June of '93 (how time flies).

"In June, Allyn Winslow, a drama teacher, was shot at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The police arrested four teen-agers who they say killed him after he fought them when they tried to steal his $250 bicycle." The New York Times, January 2, 1994

Last edited by brooklyncyclist; 07-07-08 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Apology
Old 07-08-08, 01:54 PM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brooklyncyclist
Sorry for "eavesdropping" on what I now realize was meant to be a personal message, but wanted to share this.

I recall an incident that made headlines about 8 years ago (maybe more?) in which a cyclist in PP was stopped by a couple guys demanding his bike. He resisted, they stabbed him to death. Anyone remember details?

Update: I searched The New York Times online archives. It was June of '93 (how time flies).

"In June, Allyn Winslow, a drama teacher, was shot at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The police arrested four teen-agers who they say killed him after he fought them when they tried to steal his $250 bicycle." The New York Times, January 2, 1994
Public forum, no worries...Surely PP has much improved since the 90's? I grew up in various sections of Queens, SI, UWS in the 1980s-90s and find that nearly all of the 'bad' neighborhoods are now pretty nice. Even Kissena Park used to be somewhat sketchy. I've been mugged there several times as a teenager. They've since renovated it (including the velodrome) and it's quite a dramatic change.
Old 07-08-08, 02:45 PM
brooklyncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the city overall is far better and safer now than 15 years ago. However, even then when I first read about the attack I was surprised. Obviously I shouldn't have been. And what a huge change for Kissena Park and the velodrome. NYC has a long way to go, but what a long way we've already come, huh? For such a large city we've got some pretty enviable biking opportunities.