Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 08:13 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
On the “tardiness” thing: is there a legit reason for the everyone to be in the building at 8am sharp? Like there’s a meeting or clients to be seen at 8am?

An engineer punches a clock? Is he paid an hourly wage as opposed to a salary?

I’m all for people being on time if there’s a specific good reason.

Otherwise, he’s a professional which means the ethic is he gets his work done in advance of whatever deadlines he has, in a manner which keeps the business humming. If he needs to work until midnight to get things done, that’s what he does. If he gets in 5 minutes late, who cares?

Perhaps I’m am talking from the position of someone who is in a 0% unemployment field but if I was getting my work done and was chronically 5 min late and the boss wanted to fire me over that, I’d probably already be gone before he had a chance to fire me.

But I haven’t worked an hourly wage since I was a young adult so I don’t really get that concept.

PS I am a total Nazi about seeing my appointments on time though. If one of my patients goes into an exam room late, everyone who works for me knows that my first question will be Why did this appointment get into an exam room late? So it’s not that I don’t care about being on time, it’s that I only card when it matters to the $ bottom line or to the client’s experience.
No reason. We very occasionally have clients visit, usually in groups, and my people are not typically tasked with anything in regards to entertaining or talking to them. And yes, we all clock in for some unknown reason. The majority of the group, including myself, is salary. There is an extreme cognitive dissonance on this one for myself but this is also one of those small battles I decided wasn't worth the fight. When I first got here, we didn't have a clock in system as they were "in-between" companies they were using. When we finally did get one, I used it, but then it wasn't working so they stopped using it. Then they got yet another and I decided to basically ignore it. I was eventually told to not ignore it.

A lot of this comes down to it being a small company and as a result it has its quirks. I have had good luck overall here in terms of resume building and upwards mobility, so I put up with some things that I don't think I would at a bigger company. I might need to consider moving on.
Old 02-27-20, 08:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well, okay then. Hand-wringing done - that was fast.

Lake is selling their CX237 (endorsed by similarly wide-footed LAJ) for $199 (plus $15 shipping) and it seems that Lake is in the habit of creating 10% discount codes for customers willy-nilly. My thanks to Anthony for his 'ANTHONY10' discount code that saved me an additional $20.

Hopefully the shoes look good in person - I'm not a fan of black shoes and I'm a little tired of trying to keep white clean, so I went with something in between. If these don't hide smudges and scuffs, nothing will -

Nice! I have duck feet too, but Woodland is so 2003.
Old 02-27-20, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
You'll be happy with them. Good call on the design choice, as well.
Did you go with wides in the 237s or just the regular (which seems to be moderately wide)? I went with the wides, even though my measurements were only 2mm over the regular width listed on their charts; I figured that it'll give me the opportunity to wear thicker socks and allow for some of the usual swelling...
Old 02-27-20, 08:18 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
BOA just sent me a replacement kit in the mail, which is super cool. They didn't fail, but the twist knob was getting a little ragged. No muss, no fuss.
Old 02-27-20, 08:21 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
In my new job, the man with the money continually tells me I'm the boss. I come and go when it's convenient for me. He knows nothing about the workings of the bikes, but a good bit about the workings if the business. I am the opposite. If I leave the house at 8:30, I can arrive at work at 10. Leave at 3 and miss the heavy traffic on both ends. But I ride the bus, so heavy traffic isn't really an issue except for, again, convenience. Two days a week. So far it works very well. My previous paid position ended somewhere in the early 90s. I made reasonably good money working in a tie dye shop. I don't remember if I had a set schedule, but prolly.

Old 02-27-20, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Nice! I have duck feet too
I wish that more LBS carried Wide in stock. Having particular feet and buying mail order is such a pain in the ass.

...but Woodland is so 2003.
It's a monochromatic (almost) Woodland. Very 2018.
Old 02-27-20, 08:24 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I wish that more LBS carried Wide in stock. Having particular feet and buying mail order is such a pain in the ass.
Exactly.
Old 02-27-20, 08:24 AM
LAJ
So it is

Did you go with wides in the 237s or just the regular (which seems to be moderately wide)? I went with the wides, even though my measurements were only 2mm over the regular width listed on their charts; I figured that it'll give me the opportunity to wear thicker socks and allow for some of the usual swelling...
I went with wide in both. The generous toe box in the 237 would have allowed me to go a half-size down, which I did in the 402. Your logic is sound, because I have room for thicker socks, and they also stay comfortable in the summer.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-27-20, 08:26 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I really don't relate well to most of the goings on in this thread,,,...,

Old 02-27-20, 08:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

They have finally come out with a lace up Giro in wide, which I may investigate far down the road. I also have a pair of Giro HV, that are OK, but not quite as generous in the toe as the Lake.
Old 02-27-20, 08:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have a set of Shimano road shoes in a normal width, which I “customized”
with three razor cuts over the interphalangeal joint of the right little toe. Best fit ever.
Old 02-27-20, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
They have finally come out with a lace up Giro in wide, which I may investigate far down the road. I also have a pair of Giro HV, that are OK, but not quite as generous in the toe as the Lake.
They're doing an actual wide instead of the HV? I tried on the HV a few years ago and we just didn't get on. Love the look of their shoes, though.

I was also tempted by some of Lake's lace-up options. They have some bright red (with a black zag-zig) jobbers with CF soles for a very reasonable $149 ($199 in sold black or white). My concern with those, though, was that they'd look a little too Ronald McDonald in a wide. ...but looking at them again...
Old 02-27-20, 08:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
The number one reason I ever run behind is clients being late. Super annoying!
Sounds about right in my experience. I try to get all my medical appointments in the morning where it's less likely the doctor has had some other patient hold him up. 10 to11 AM is my sweet spot, anything in the afternoon is avoided at all costs unless it's urgent.
Old 02-27-20, 08:50 AM
WhyFi

I have a set of Shimano road shoes in a normal width, which I “customized”
with three razor cuts over the interphalangeal joint of the right little toe. Best fit ever.
Shimano is the closest to an acceptable fit that I can find in stores, but it's still not quite right and I would hate to customize a pair of $200+ shoes.

Specialized is the great tease. They used to be moderately wide, but they've since narrowed and introduced wide options at $160... and $400+ Also, they have a bunch of color combos, some super cool, some god-awful, but you can only get wides in black. I really wanted the black with silver reflective heel cup area - that seems to be the best place to aid rearward visibility and I wish that more models/makers would follow suit.
Old 02-27-20, 08:59 AM
LAJ
So it is

They're doing an actual wide instead of the HV? I tried on the HV a few years ago and we just didn't get on. Love the look of their shoes, though.

I was also tempted by some of Lake's lace-up options. They have some bright red (with a black zag-zig) jobbers with CF soles for a very reasonable $149 ($199 in sold black or white). My concern with those, though, was that they'd look a little too Ronald McDonald in a wide. ...but looking at them again...
HV it is. Black it is, but that part I'm fine with. I happen to be OK with black shoes. https://www.giro.com/p/empire-hv-road-cycling-shoes
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-27-20, 09:12 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Tax refund hit my bank account today, so the 10 speed upgrade to my Trek is finally happening this weekend

I had been waiting on picking up a new chain and cassette.

Is it heretical to run Dura-Ace shifters and derailleurs to shift a SRAM cassette and chain?
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-27-20, 09:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I would hate to customize a pair of $200+ shoes.
Me too. They weren't quite that much and it was customize or give away at that point.
Old 02-27-20, 09:18 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Ram diesel pick up truck drivers. FTW.
I had coal rolled on me by a Ram last night. I dabbed in appreciation.
Old 02-27-20, 09:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Thursdays are my late days. Did 1 hour of fake miles and did not have a single signal drop.

Now time to make the donuts, metaphorically.
Old 02-27-20, 09:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Tax refund hit my bank account today, so the 10 speed upgrade to my Trek is finally happening this weekend

Is it heretical to run Dura-Ace shifters and derailleurs to shift a SRAM cassette and chain?
Will work fine but possibly more noisy than pure Shimano.
WhyFi

State of the shop: boring but helpful ultility bench almost done but I'm undecided on the back. I've got a frame extending to the first floor joists, but don't know what I want to put on there. Pegboard to hang tools? Slat board for lightweight shelving? Just some plywood so that I can hang whatever I want off of it (maybe some French cleats?)

I should prolly do some image searches for inspiration.
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
I still use my first pair of LG road shoes I bought with my first road bike in 2012. My Bontrager mountain bike shoes I've been using since 2016. A couple years ago I found an additional set of Shimano high-top MTB shoes at Goodwill.

I don't particularly like any of them, but don't hate them either.

The road shoes will likely be phased out after my eventual plan to convert most of my bikes to SPD.
Old 02-27-20, 09:25 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp

Is there a significant price and/or weight difference? I think that 105 cassettes and Ultegra-level chains are pretty reasonable.
Old 02-27-20, 09:26 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
Being prompt is a pet peeve of mine, please be on time.
If you are to be "at work" at a particular time, be there. I am flexible to some extent, as long as the work gets done, on time, and at or under estimated cost.
In LA, traffic is so terrible and unpredictable that if you 100% want to always be on time for everything, you’d add an hour to your drive time.

I am all for being on time if it matters- I’m not going to screw over my doctors day so that I don’t have to build in the extra drive time, because 1. It’s respectful, 2. It matters to him, and 3. It’s not an everyday thing.

But at work, it makes zippedty squat difference if I arrive at 8am, 8:05am, 8:10am. My appointments start at 9:30am, and what I have to do from 8am until 9:30 (case rounds and a few phone calls) generally takes around 45 min. I have built a lot of wiggle room in because worst case scenario I have a bunch of cases transferred to me from the ER and it might take longer to get things done, but even then I have redundancy in my system in that I can tap some additional personnel to do some of the morning stuff. It would be a ridiculous huge time waste for me to build in the extra time to every commute just to have to arrive on time for the sole purpose of “being on time”.

No one sheds a tear for me when I’m asked to come in at 7:30am for a department head meeeting (which I’m never late for- because it matters, there’s other people expecting to start the meeting at 7:30am). No one sheds a tear if I stay late in an emergency surgery and don’t get home until 10pm. Likewise no one shows any angst if most days I actually get in to work at 8:05am because that’s what makes sense with the available train schedule, and my alternative is to take a train that leaves 40 min earlier.

Businesses should value their valuable people above valuing sticking to a precise schedule. Unless the nature of the business requires employees being present at a rigidly specific time.
Old 02-27-20, 09:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

State of the shop: boring but helpful ultility bench almost done but I'm undecided on the back. I've got a frame extending to the first floor joists, but don't know what I want to put on there. Pegboard to hang tools? Slat board for lightweight shelving? Just some plywood so that I can hang whatever I want off of it (maybe some French cleats?)

I should prolly do some image searches for inspiration.
I am a fan of metal shelving and tool boards. There are some good looking and not too expensive options.

Urban workshop
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.