Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 07:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by LewisFernandes
These are gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. Steel is real and Italian steel is sexy.
Old 10-30-19, 07:57 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
cinelli supercorsa in pearl white or pegoretti...
Old 10-31-19, 09:53 AM
zbillster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Excel Boulder in Colorado used to sell Bottecchia frames and built-up bikes in the mid 1990s ... along with Gios and others. And we're talking in the $500 range for frame and fork. I guess those days are gone?
I found the Gios Torino YouTube site and Italian homepage ... they still sell some classics, but it's all in Italian ... I'll have to try sending them a translated email. I saw the Gios brand all over lower-range bikes in Tokyo.
Old 11-04-19, 04:40 PM
zbillster

yeah from the little bit of info I can garner from the website, they do look promising!! I will look into it more if poss!
Originally Posted by zbillster
I hit this thread searching for information on Maurizio Barco frames ... I think he was making (or may still be making)IL Massimo Lugati Leggero frames, which look beautiful. I think he builds a lot of frames for different brands.
I was looking at Italian lugged frames ... not oversized (SL tubing), external brake cabling (hate the rattle!), stage tour geometry for comfort, threaded headset.
I got an email back from Cicili Barco ... they sent me geometry specs, pricing and options information. For a classic lugged frame (without chrome ... they actually do stainless instead) they seemed very reasonable at 1200 euros plus 90 euros shipping to USA. Turnaround time around 15 weeks.
Contact them at info@ciclibarco.it

Old 11-04-19, 09:14 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the research with Barco.

There English website: ciclibarco | Non ti servono le ali, spingi forte sui pedali.

Also look for them on Instragram.

Barco has their own Carbon Fork. Looks pretty nice. Below is their Xcr stainless, no lug version with their in-house carbon fork. Look familiar...

And it's rumored they sub-contract build the Cinelli Xcr stainless.

Last edited by Ninetimes; 11-04-19 at 09:40 PM. Reason: ...
Old 11-04-19, 09:24 PM
zbillster

Originally Posted by Ninetimes
Thanks for the research with Barco.

There English website: ciclibarco | Non ti servono le ali, spingi forte sui pedali.

Also look for them on Instragram.

Barco has their own carbon Fork. Looks pretty nice. Below is their stainless, no lug version with their in-house carbon fork. Look familiar...

And it's rumored they sub-contract build the Cinelli Xcr stainless.

They also post a lot of photos on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cicli.barco/

I kinda asked if they do the building for il massimo and they kinda "winked" ... this one is a beautiful frame:
IL Massimo Lugati Leggero Steel Lugged Italian Bicycle!

Likes For zbillster:
Old 11-04-19, 09:32 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
2018 Pegoretti in Xcr no lug stainless with their in-house Falz carbon fork. One of the planets amazing road bikes.

The Barco Xcr no lug stainless is a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Ninetimes; 11-04-19 at 09:38 PM. Reason: ...
Likes For Ninetimes:
Old 11-05-19, 03:14 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,061 Posts
Pelizzoli sold the Ciocc brand and went on to continue building
ROAD ? Cicli Pelizzoli

Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 11-05-19, 04:49 PM
zbillster

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Pelizzoli sold the Ciocc brand and went on to continue building
ROAD ? Cicli Pelizzoli
In case you folks haven't met the MAN himself ... I love this video ...

Old 11-05-19, 05:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I am currently running Chorus 11 speed on an old steel frame. No compatibility issues at all.
Old 11-06-19, 08:40 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

In case you folks haven't met the MAN himself ... I love this video ...

Ciocc restoration video
Love that video.

These frames are truly amazing. Were I in the market for a new steel frame, it would be hard to ignore. Pelizzoli frames are, IMO, superior to the "big" names of Italian cycling: Colnago, DeRosa, Cinelli, Bianchi -none of which are made by the original artisans. Pelizzoli bikes are easily comparable to the best US custom builders (Richard Sachs, Sasha White, Chris Bishop, Bruce Gordon etc etc) at a fraction of the price. Custom for the price of stock.

Bonus: great reason to go to Italy!
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 11-06-19, 12:16 PM
zbillster

Love that video.

Bonus: great reason to go to Italy!
Here are a bunch of other reasons ... ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/zbillster/albums
Old 11-06-19, 12:34 PM
zbillster

Love that video.

These frames are truly amazing. Were I in the market for a new steel frame, it would be hard to ignore. Pelizzoli frames are, IMO, superior to the "big" names of Italian cycling: Colnago, DeRosa, Cinelli, Bianchi -none of which are made by the original artisans. Pelizzoli bikes are easily comparable to the best US custom builders (Richard Sachs, Sasha White, Chris Bishop, Bruce Gordon etc etc) at a fraction of the price. Custom for the price of stock.
Kicking myself ... I had a chance to buy one on eBay a few years ago for a song ... nicely built up with Chorus I think ... finding used bikes by epic builders in my tall size is always a challenge.
The guy had trouble selling it too and ended up stripping the frame to sell separately. It had some patina but ...

Old 11-06-19, 01:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Here are a bunch of other reasons ... ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/zbillster/albums
For me, Italian steel frames are 90% paint job on modern bikes, and on vintage bikes that paint was notoriously weak, so I dont really get into them too much. Well I do like a lot of the flamboyant/intricate paint schemes, to be clear.

Anyways, thanks for posting your flickr account because what I did find interesting was the Palo Alto catalogs. Pretty cool that they mention partnering with Ritchey since Ive read before that he was the one building PA frames for catalog sales. One of the pics is even a fillet brazed frame.
Old catalogs are aweome to troll thru.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-06-19, 04:07 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

The Piaggio museum looks amazing. So many crazy scoots. One of my biggest regrets was selling my '63 GS. It was tricked out with luggage racks, and a ton of mirrors. Mod Style.
That weird "stretch-limo"!
Old 11-06-19, 04:42 PM
zbillster

The Piaggio museum looks amazing. So many crazy scoots. One of my biggest regrets was selling my '63 GS. It was tricked out with luggage racks, and a ton of mirrors. Mod Style.
That weird "stretch-limo"!
Yeah, the weirdest part is the big vertical pillar extension coming out of the handlebars ... an "art" scooter.
The Vespa museum is FREE and really nice. The Alfa Romeo museum really knocked me out too. And meeting Ernesto at the Colnago factory was an unexpected surprise.
Riding a Vespa from town to town in Tuscany was pretty nice too ... the drive to Museo Ferrari was incredible. The traffic tickets I received when I got back to the USA? Not so much.
Now I want to go meet Pelizzoli ... Here's another short video of the master at work ...

Likes For zbillster:
Old 02-04-20, 10:45 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Hi everyone! This is my first post so be gentle!

I thought I’d register on the forum, as my plan to start building a new steel bike will provide lots of opportunities to ask for advice and then pass it on in the future!

I’m trying to sell my 54cm De Rosa SK Pininfarina Ultegra to fund a new project that I feel resonates more with who I am as a cyclist. A new modern-retro steel beauty.

I’m currently weighing up and researching bikes like the Colnago Master & Arabesque, Cinelli Supercorsa, Wilier Superleggera and maybe a De Rosa Nuovo Classico. All the new frame sets. Having trouble deciding between these frames and wondering if anyone could help decide between them. I know for example that some of them differ with threadless forks etc which will mean quill stems will be possible on some and not others (I prefer quill) and other similar characteristics which set them apart.

It does have to be Italian I’m afraid, not because I am uninitiated and trendy, but because they really get me going and I have a real passion for Italian culture and craftsmanship.

If someone can help me pick one of these frames to build, I will be so so very grateful! Also, if anyone has one of these frames, I’d be interested to hear how they fit compared to a road bike like the one I have now.

Thanks!!
Lewis

PS- please tell me if this is the correct forum area for this post!! I was gonna post it in Classic/Vintage but it’s a new bike so...
I understand your dilemma exactly. I had several good carbon bikes (Felt and Wilier) but they left me unsatisfied, I found myself riding my 35 y/o Simoncini that was 5 lbs heavier. I got a custom made Cinelli Supercorsa but I have been having problems with the chrome rusting. So I am having a stainless steel XCr frame built by Barco. This is a small family business that makes only steel and stainless steel frames. They make frames for about 20 other bike companies who put their own name on it. I believe they make the Cinelli XCr which Cinelli sells for $4,800. The Barco version, custom made, with your own paint design and every option including a stainless steel fork with a carbon steering tube is about $3,600 including shipping to the USA. They are very easy to deal with and are very responsive. They have also won awards at the British version of NAHBS for "Best Italian" bike.
Old 02-18-20, 12:28 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Check out my Cinelli SC. I built it from the bare frameset using modern Campagnolo 11 speed with Diacompe DT shifters for that retro look and feel. It's a real showstopper and conversation starter wherever I go.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 02-18-20, 01:00 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by kansukee
Check out my Cinelli SC. I built it from the bare frameset using modern Campagnolo 11 speed with Diacompe DT shifters for that retro look and feel. It's a real showstopper and conversation starter wherever I go.
Very nice definitely a looker with the track front hubs.

I decided to mix very modern with very retro. Campy Super Record groupset. H plus Son rims on White Industries T11 hubs. Vittoria Corsa Control tires. Old Campy seatpost. New Cinelli quill stem. Brooks Swift with titanium rails.

Old 02-21-20, 10:09 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
Very nice definitely a looker with the track front hubs.

I decided to mix very modern with very retro. Campy Super Record groupset. H plus Son rims on White Industries T11 hubs. Vittoria Corsa Control tires. Old Campy seatpost. New Cinelli quill stem. Brooks Swift with titanium rails.

Very nicely done. I had those same hubs on another bike and they are among the best.
Old 02-27-20, 06:12 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Italian Steel you say? I'm with you. Fun ride it is.

Battaglin Power+
Old 02-27-20, 08:40 AM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by Scummer
Italian Steel you say? I'm with you. Fun ride it is.

Battaglin Power+
A very nice looking true Italian steed.
Old 02-27-20, 10:10 AM
Johnk3

My newest Italian steel studly ride is being finished as I write. Cicli Barco has been incredibly helpful and cooperative during the entire process. And, for what you get, their prices are incredible. By that, I mean that for significantly less than the big name steel frames, you can get one that is custom built, custom painted and with every little extra that other bikes do not have. Check out their photos on Facebook or Instagram. And note that the steel frame you buy with someone's name on it is most likely actually made by Barco. They make steel frames for 20 bike companies. But for the their own bikes, with the Barco name, you get the very best craftsmanship. At the 2019 Bespoked the UK Handmade Bicycle Show, Barco won several awards including "Best of Italy."

My new bike will be Columbus XCr stainless with a Barco Viva stainless fork that has a carbon fiber shaft to reduce weight. It will have custom geometry, custom paint, direct mount brakes, internal cable routing, a metal engraved plate with my name, a dark nickel headbadge, brushed stainless finish, Barco's really cool dropouts, and a lot of other stuff, and shipped to me in Texas for $1,000 less than the Cinelli XCr frame. A Barco XCr frame with the Viva fork was recently given rave reviews by the English Cyclist magazine (Google Barco XCr review).

Old 02-27-20, 02:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
Welded main traingle with brazed stays? Interesting mix.
My Fairlight gravel frame is joined this way.

Obviously- pics of the frameset before and after build, please.
Old 02-28-20, 08:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Thank you. Steel is real and Italian steel is sexy.
Your Colnago was the catalyst that really pushed me to search until I found one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.