Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Putting wheel on with no help

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-26-20, 04:51 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts

Putting my front wheel on with disc brakes by myself is sometimes a pain. I sometimes have trouble keeping the wheel centered and tightening the skewer. Is there a secret other than keeping the wheel balanced with my forehead and turning the skewer.
Old 01-26-20, 05:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I find it easier to install wheels when the bike is right side up. Guide the disc between the caliper and the axle ends into the fork. Let the weight of the bike bottom the axle ends in the drop out and tighten the QR.
Old 01-26-20, 05:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If your bike has a quick release, you cannot tighten it properly by turning the skewer. If you have a through axle. it should self centre. Learn how to properly operate a quick release if that is what you have. Hint: don't stand in front of the bike. Stand over the bike and lean over with the bars in your chest. You can keep plenty of weight on the bars to keep the wheel seated in the dropouts. And, yes, bike right side up, not upside down
Old 01-26-20, 07:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
If I understand the problem correctly, it’s that you can’t get the rotor aligned properly in the narrow gap between the brake pads? If so, just slip the wheel into position, grab the front brake lever tightly with one hand, and tighten the qr lever with your other hand. Then release the brake lever.
Old 01-26-20, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
It is a damn shame thru-axles didn't become standard right when disc brakes came out. Would have made life so much easier. I generally find installing a wheel with it on the ground helps and if you can lean it straight up it should be bad. What I might recommend and this can go with anything like clipping and unclipping shoes or installing a tire is practice it a bunch in a low stress environment get the motions down pat that way when in the field riding things will go more smoothly.

I know if I hadn't put my tent together that first time at home listening to music relaxed I would have really been fumbling the first time I actually got to use it and it was starting to rain.
Old 01-27-20, 12:43 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I do how the LBS showed me, stand in front of the bike as it's right side up, hold the front wheel between my legs, then guide the fork down onto the skewer, using the caliper as the target to align the rotor. Gravity keeps the fork in place while tightening the skewer.
Likes For surak: