Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Next Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Next Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 08:58 AM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Next Bike

I am looking for opinions on used bikes. I am looking at used as my budget is probably around $2k and I think used will give the most bang. I am currently riding a 2016 Giant Defy Disc which I have put a lot of miles on. I am looking for something lighter. Also I am over 6' (35"+ inseam) and my LBS put me in a 56cm frame which is too small. Here is my list so far, I am only looking at carbon:Trek Emonda

Specialized Tarmac

Giant TCR

Cannondale Supersix

Cervelo R3

Scott Addict RC 20

What else should I consider?

Thank you

Rich
Old 02-27-20, 09:14 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
No opinion on what you should consider, but $2000 will buy a really nice used bike. Just remember, chances are you are probably going to have put in more money once you have made the purchase.So, do you want to spend 2 G's total, or 2 G's plus incidentals?. Do you have the tools and the ability to do the work yourself?
Old 02-27-20, 09:20 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
TCR is amazing bang for the money.
Old 02-27-20, 09:23 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
No opinion on what you should consider, but $2000 will buy a really nice used bike. Just remember, chances are you are probably going to have put in more money once you have made the purchase.So, do you want to spend 2 G's total, or 2 G's plus incidentals?. Do you have the tools and the ability to do the work yourself?
I have the ability to do all the maintenance. I have a very technical background and so that’s not a problem.Incidentals after the purchase is a really good point though. cables, chain, brakes, Bar tape, etc. will all be additional cost.
Old 02-27-20, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Problem with looking for used bikes is that the sellers want what they paid for them. At least if it's a two to three year old bike. If it's more than three years old then you might be losing out on some of the technology that has gotten better. Disc brakes (not that I like them or want them) are better now than they were four years ago. Not sure I'd want to buy three or four year old hydraulics if you are going for that. Subtle changes to DR's have made shifting through 11 speeds better than when it first came out. Depending on how old you go, even the double pivot rim brakes are better than when introduced and certainly better than the ones I grew up on back when they were single pivot.
Old 02-27-20, 11:54 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
My vote is slightly biased, but my 2019 Supersix Mechanical Ultegra is very light, user-serviceable, stiff, and inexpensive.
Old 02-27-20, 12:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Unless you're getting really impatient, I might suggest a wheelset as a half-step. IIRC, most Defy were spec'd with ~2kg wheels. Most of the bikes that'll fall in to your price range will probably have placeholder wheels, too, though maybe not quite as husky.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-27-20, 03:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by richas

Thank you

Rich
Aluminum.
Old 02-27-20, 03:29 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
My vote is slightly biased, but my 2019 Supersix Mechanical Ultegra is very light, user-serviceable, stiff, and inexpensive.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what it weighs? I'm wondering how it compares to my CAAD 12 w/105 and Ksyrium Elite USTs which comes in at 17 lbs 10 oz. The weight on mine includes a Garmin mount and an Italian Road Bike mirror.
Old 02-27-20, 03:42 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just out of curiosity, do you know what it weighs? I'm wondering how it compares to my CAAD 12 w/105 and Ksyrium Elite USTs which comes in at 17 lbs 10 oz. The weight on mine includes a Garmin mount and an Italian Road Bike mirror.
Well, I just went out and weighed it using my digital bathroom scale -- which tends to fluctuate a bit.. so, it's not 100% on-the-dot.

But.. With speedplay pedals, 2012 Mavic Aksiums (temporary while awaiting Neugent replacements) and a plastic computer mount, it comes to 17.8 lbs (sorry, bathroom scale doesn't specify ounces.)

I'd say the difference is probably pretty negligible -- even if I had a more accurate way to weigh it. I'll probably lose half a pound (more?) with the new wheels.. The Aksiums aren't boat anchors, but they're not terribly light either.
Old 02-27-20, 03:48 PM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I will weigh mine when I have a chance.

what about going from 11 speed to an older 10 speed, will I hate it?

Rich
Old 02-27-20, 06:36 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Well, I just went out and weighed it using my digital bathroom scale -- which tends to fluctuate a bit.. so, it's not 100% on-the-dot.

But.. With speedplay pedals, 2012 Mavic Aksiums (temporary while awaiting Neugent replacements) and a plastic computer mount, it comes to 17.8 lbs (sorry, bathroom scale doesn't specify ounces.)

I'd say the difference is probably pretty negligible -- even if I had a more accurate way to weigh it. I'll probably lose half a pound (more?) with the new wheels.. The Aksiums aren't boat anchors, but they're not terribly light either.
My stock wheels were also Aksiums. I was using a Park digital scale when I weighed mine.
Old 02-27-20, 07:40 PM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mine is 20.5 lbs....
Old 02-27-20, 11:42 PM
Jbo26

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check your classifieds daily/weekly. You can always find great bikes for a good deal. I am partial to the Fuji lines myself. The Altimira, Transonic, and SL are all great bikes.
Old 02-28-20, 05:36 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
My vote would be for either a Tarmac or Tcr( the bike I currently own). Both bikes are light and provide a decent ride that’s not too harsh. I would probably recommend a wheel upgrade if your just wanting to lighten the bike a little. If you have the clearance, you could go with a set of 40-50 deep wheels setup tubeless. That would make the. Ike more responsive, lighter, and overall more comfortable.

check your local classifieds or fb marketplace. In my area there are more Tarmac’s available than anything else.
Old 02-28-20, 07:41 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Personally, I'd buy wheels and a powermeter with that money.
Old 02-28-20, 08:56 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am looking at a 2011 TCR Advanced SL at the moment. It is a little under 16 lbs. It is a lovely bike and light with carbon wheels but I am concerned about a couple things:

It is older, with 10 speed cassette
How will it be for long rides? I plan on doing one 100 miler and the STP this year.... (But I am skinny and love to climb so....)

I appreciate all the input!

Rich
Old 02-28-20, 10:03 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I am looking for opinions on used bikes. I am looking at used as my budget is probably around $2k and I think used will give the most bang. I am currently riding a 2016 Giant Defy Disc which I have put a lot of miles on. I am looking for something lighter. Also I am over 6' (35"+ inseam) and my LBS put me in a 56cm frame which is too small. Here is my list so far, I am only looking at carbon:Trek Emonda

Specialized Tarmac

Giant TCR

Cannondale Supersix

Cervelo R3

Scott Addict RC 20

Thank you

Rich
Any other reasons than weight that makes you want to change your bike? The Defy is pretty light, and an amazing bike.

I'd say go with the Giant TCR if you can handle the more aggressive position. Did the switch last year (Defy to TCR), and I don't regret it. For your information, my current TCR Adv Pro weight 17lbs.

I am looking at a 2011 TCR Advanced SL at the moment. It is a little under 16 lbs. It is a lovely bike and light with carbon wheels but I am concerned about a couple things:

How will it be for long rides? I plan on doing one 100 miler and the STP this year.... (But I am skinny and love to climb so....)

Rich
The TCR will definitively be a little rougher on you, because of the position and the gears. I went from a 10 to 11 speed (and 34/50 to 36/52 crankset) and I immediately saw the difference. Took a few rides to adapt.
Old 02-28-20, 10:08 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts

Rich
I'm on a 2020 TCR Advanced SL Disc. Whether or not you will like the bike falls on how you adapt to the position. My TCR has a shorter top tube (less reach), but also a shorter head tube (more bar drop) than my old MadOne. It has full carbon wheels as well, and I have no problem spending all day on it. It's a more lively ride than my old MadOne but rides smoother at the same time (possibly due to the ISP). The TCR is a climber's bike, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with the uphill performance.

10-speed stuff is fine, but 11-speed really nailed some of the lacking aspects of the previous generations. Shimano's proprietary bolt pattern allows me to run a 53/36 crank and an 11-30 cassette, which makes for a super well-rounded gearset.
Old 02-29-20, 08:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
The parts availability of 10 speed stuff may become a concern.
Old 02-29-20, 09:09 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The parts availability of 10 speed stuff may become a concern.
The bike I am looking at has SRAM Red components. I have found front and rear derailleurs, and cassettes to be readily available. The crankset was replaced with a compact cranes. Are there other components related to the 10-speed that I should be concerned about?

Rich
Old 02-29-20, 08:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
The bike I am looking at has SRAM Red components. I have found front and rear derailleurs, and cassettes to be readily available. The crankset was replaced with a compact cranes. Are there other components related to the 10-speed that I should be concerned about?

Rich
I don't know about SRAM, but some of the Shimano 10 speed stuff has been hard to find. Also, Campagnolo has discontinued some things. I have heard on the forum some similar things. Probably not worth worrying about.
Both my road bikes are 10 speed, btw.
Old 03-01-20, 05:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
The old 27" wheels (630 bsd) I used to love became too hard to find both decent tires and wheel sets. For certain on new road bicycles you couldn't get them. So I switched to 700C bikes to stay reasonably current. Now With the way the mfrs are pushing disc brakes, I'm worrying that even wheelsets with rim braking will become harder to find and certainly like 27" tires, not much choice. So I decided to drink the koolaid and join the crowd. My next bicycle will have disc's.

Consider that when you are looking bikes that old. For not much more you can get a new one. Frames of any other top tier bicycles of times past are probably no better than the lower tier of that same model today. And for certain, the components are old.
Old 03-02-20, 12:27 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
A few pounds is not going to make a difference on something as flat as STP. Unless you've maxed out the spacers and have a 140mm+ stem on your Defy, spend a few bucks to get properly fitted components and it will be a better choice than an older, used climbing bike in your price range.

From a pure weight perspective, it's hard to beat Canyon's offerings because they tend to spec lightweight wheels when other brands will put boat anchors at the same price points, but they haven't been selling in the US long enough for there to be many used ones for sale. You can find some a bit higher than your price range in their outlet, with the risk that they don't take returns on them.
Old 03-05-20, 01:12 PM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well this ended up going in a different direction. I am the proud new owner of a 2013 giant Propel Advanced SL 1. More of a race bike than I was looking for but it happens to fit me perfectly (ISP seat post), is in perfect shape, came with a power meter and speed sensor, and was a great deal. It is a thing of beauty and I think I am in love. :-)

thank you all for the advice

rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.