Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting started with clipless pedals for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 10:38 PM
stickmangumby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering going clipless but have a a few questions to answer before starting down this new and exciting path!
  • I'm looking for pedals I can ride with and without cleats
  • I need to be able to walk around in my cycling shoes (without having a spare pair at work to change into)
  • I'm working on a tight budget!

I don't know a lot about clipless pedals, but from what I've read it sounds like I'm in the market for some MTB pedals with one side clipless and the other side just plain. Is this right? Is the main difference between MTB and road clipless pedals the size (larger), weight (heavier) and durability (stronger)?

I'm on ebay at the moment having a look for something cheap, and am wondering about getting some Wellgo C002B pedals which come with Wellgo 98A cleats (and are apparently compatible with Shimano 51 cleats) such as these. These seem like a cheap way to get started - are they so cheap that they'll suck?

If I do buy these pedals, can I buy any pair of Shimano SPD shoes? Or are the Shimano 51 cleats different to SPD? I'm still trying to figure out these compatibility issues and can't make sense of it!

Thankyou for your input!
Old 02-18-10, 11:19 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use Shimano A520 pedals:

There are quite a few shoes that are made that take the SPD cleat, so you should be able to find something in a style you like. I like these, because I can clip in when I want to, or wear regular shoes, and still feel like I've got some pedal under me.

That said, I've riden in regular shoes an several different styles of clipless pedals over the years, so I'm used to just about anything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4761.JPG (26.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-18-10, 11:48 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want to go cheap, you could do what I did: $20 SPD clipless pedals on craigslist and $40 Shimano shoes (winter sale). it's been wonderful.

doesn't solve your wanting to use regular shoes sometimes, though. previous post is probably your best bet for that.
Old 02-19-10, 08:36 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Well, they are not exactly cheap, but Crank Brothers Mallet pedals would do the trick for you.

Attached Images
malletc_wht.jpg (58.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-19-10, 08:47 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
The Crank Bros are nice because you don't have to worry about being on the "right side" for clipless or plaftform but I've heard differing reports of how well they work with regular shoes. It seems like the consensus is that they're fine for a quick trip but not the best if you have a ways to go. For me that might work out OK as I would use cycling shoes for a longer trip anyway.
Old 02-19-10, 08:59 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My night/rain commuter bike has Shimano Campus pedals with one side platform, one side SPD. I wear Shimano SPD MTB shoes for my commutes, but can also ride with sneakers. The Wellgo pedals you reference should work similarly.

The SPD side is easy to clip into and the platform side will still perform well off the stop line if I miss the SPD side on a green light. Wearing sneakers, I sometimes find myself stepping on the SPD side off the stop line, which is uncomfortable and requires some caution but can still be pedaled. Once I turn the pedal over they ride like any platform.

All of the MTB SPD shoe/cleat combinations I've used grind the cleat on pavement while walking. It's an annoying sound, but walking is comfortable in them. Crank Bros cleats seem to be smaller and less likely to grind, but I haven't tried Crank Bros pedals.
Old 02-19-10, 09:54 AM
hshearer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crank Bros Candy are nice, too, and okay to ride in regular shoes for shorter rides (15 minutes, let's say). Easy to clip in, and lots of shoe styles accept those cleats... casual shoes and even sandals.
Old 02-19-10, 10:35 AM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the MTB shimano SPD pedals with the platform around them. I started using them for mountain bike riding, but they are a great choice for use on a commuter. You can use them with regular shoes, or with clipless and they are relatively cheap as well. They also take a wicked beating and tons of neglect and keep working like the day they were bought. The 424 model comes with black plastic for the platforms, or you can opt for the bling version and go for polished aluminum for a few dollars more.

Here's the link: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...24+Pedals.aspx

EDIT: Forgot to mention the shoes I'm wearing are these Specialized: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9309&eid=4927
Not too goofy looking, have a decently rigid footbed but are comfortable to walk in as well.

Attached Images
sm79820-pd-m424.jpg (67.0 KB, 8 views)
6120-50_d.jpg (11.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 02-19-10 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added shoes
Old 02-19-10, 10:38 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Shimano PDM324. I love 'em.
Old 02-19-10, 10:44 AM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a similar predicament and thought about getting these pedals:

In the end though I decided that I rarely ride without cycling specific shoes, so I got some of these to put in my saddle bag instead:
Old 02-19-10, 10:47 AM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time now offers a half-platform version of their ATAC pedal, the Allroad Gripper.
Attached Images
Old 02-19-10, 11:32 AM
ryang

Bikes: 1991 Trek 1400 (105 w/Sora shifters, Look Pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have these (Shimano MT21)

And these in blue:

They've been on since August and have survived a Chicago salt rich winter. I wear them every day I ride to work, no discomfort. Bonus feature: move the set screws up/down to accommodate a winter boot.

My only issue is weatherproofing, it might be time for gaiters.
I was able to get both at Performance for $120 total, shoes $50 and pedals $60.
Old 02-19-10, 12:16 PM
Tober1
weights are heavy

Bikes: CAAD9 5 (09)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
I like the MTB shimano SPD pedals with the platform around them. I started using them for mountain bike riding, but they are a great choice for use on a commuter. You can use them with regular shoes, or with clipless and they are relatively cheap as well. They also take a wicked beating and tons of neglect and keep working like the day they were bought. The 424 model comes with black plastic for the platforms, or you can opt for the bling version and go for polished aluminum for a few dollars more.

Here's the link: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...24+Pedals.aspx
What he said!
I have these pedals and they work really well. I've used them throughout the winter and they haven't missed a beat. Couldn't be happier. They don't break the bank either.
They work with any SPD cleat. I use some Bontrager MTB shoes I got from a Trek store. Can still walk in them and they don't look overly silly. Why do they make commuter bike shoes sooooo ougly?
Old 02-19-10, 12:54 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I just run flat pedals on all my road bikes. I find clipless more useful for off road.
Old 02-19-10, 01:23 PM
tjspiel

I'm not the best one to answer this question but I don't think anyone else has addressed it. The main differences between road and MTB clipless systems from what I can tell has to do with the size and nature of the cleats.

Road cleats tend to use a 3 bolt pattern and are much more prominent while MTB cleats use 2 bolts. Road cleats/shoes/pedals are designed with efficiency and comfort in mind assuming that your are going to be clipped in 99% of time your on your bike and spend very little time off your bike while wearing the shoes. They are intended for riding not walking. They are much like ski boots in that regard. In fact "Look" who has a line of clipless pedals also makes ski bindings. Riding a long distance at a fast pace may be more comfortable in a road shoe because the "load" is spread across a larger area of the shoe.

MTB cleats, shoes, and pedals on the other hand assume that you're going to need to clip out more often, you might have to walk a ways, and you might get some mud on your shoes. In my mind because of this they make more sense for a typical commuter.

Shoes will have two bolt holes to accept MTB type cleats or three for road cleats. Some shoes will take either. Shimano's "SPD" is a popular MTB clipless system. There are different SPD cleats that have differing amounts of "float" and affect how you unclip your foot. Not all SPD pedals can except every variety of SPD cleat. Pedals usually come with the proper cleats.

Feel free to correct me if I've misstated something.
Old 02-19-10, 02:16 PM
geetlord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another vote here for Crank Brothers mallets, I have them on my bike and have used them in all weathers, with and without cycling shoes
Old 02-19-10, 02:37 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Crank Brothers cleats are smaller than many other clip systems, and the cleat area on most MTB shoes are recessed making for comfortable walking off the bike.

I wear Specialized Tahoe shoes in the summer and Lake Winter Boots in the winter, and in both I can comfortably walk in both with the Crank Brothers cleats attached to the bottom of my shoe. In fact, I can hardly hear a "clicking" sound when I walk on a tile floor or concrete. I also find Crank Brothers pedals very easy to clip in/out of (even when the pedal is caked with mud when Mountain Biking) and the clip/cleat design provides a bit of "float" making them comfortable to pedal while clipped in. But everyone has a system that they like and they all have their plusses and minuese.
Old 02-19-10, 04:26 PM
stickmangumby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info so far everyone!

@tjspiel - thanks for the info about pedal types, very helpful.

I've had a look at some Crank Brothers pedals and they seem a bit out of my budget at this stage but I will keep them in mind for the future.

It sounds like even with MTB shoes/cleats it can still be a little uncomfortable/annoying to walk around. I guess I just need to try it and see how it goes for me - if I find them ok I'll probably always end up riding with clipless shoes and the platform half of the pedals may be unnecessary.

Is it feasible to remove the cleats from your shoes when you get to your destination or is this too much of a pain to do regularly?

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-10, 04:48 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by stickmangumby

I've had a look at some Crank Brothers pedals and they seem a bit out of my budget at this stage but I will keep them in mind for the future.

It sounds like even with MTB shoes/cleats it can still be a little uncomfortable/annoying to walk around. I guess I just need to try it and see how it goes for me - if I find them ok I'll probably always end up riding with clipless shoes and the platform half of the pedals may be unnecessary.

Is it feasible to remove the cleats from your shoes when you get to your destination or is this too much of a pain to do regularly?

Thanks again!
The cleats bolt on. They need to be positioned right and fastened securely so you don't want to be taking them on and off all the time.

There are people that claim they can walk around in some clipless shoes without the slightest clicking. My SPD cleats will click on most concrete outdoors but not indoors. I can walk around on wood and smooth tile floors in silence. Walking on wet smooth tile is asking for trouble.

They're plenty comfortable. I'm just not going to be able to sneak up on anybody walking on a sidewalk.

It might just be the way the cleats are positioned or the design of the tread on the shoe.
Old 02-19-10, 04:53 PM
Rumpled

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stickmangumby

Thanks again!
Too much of a pain to take cleats off every day; and they get dirty. And, you might not get them exactly in the same spot.
Can't bring or have other shoes at work? No locker or desk or nothing? Backpack? Where's your lunch, phone etc?

Here's some budget one-sided MTB SPD pedals $35

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_67505

Even cheaper, but not one-sided $25

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000_1508503

I've been using the Shimano inserts that came with my 505 or some such number pedals (with the bike) for five years or so. I like having the option to use any shoes, especially for rides with the kids etc.

Look into inexpensive pedals that might come with these, or check with a local bike shop for castoffs; they might have some.
Old 02-19-10, 04:57 PM
Big_Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should really consider having another pair of shoes at work. While you can walk in shoes with SPD cleats without much trouble, the cleat will try to tear up the floor you are on and they can still be like walking on ice on hard floors. Just leave your regular shoes at work if you don't want to carry them around or get a backpack.
Old 02-19-10, 05:22 PM
tjspiel

Another question worth asking (given that money is tight) is whether or not the benefits of having clipless pedals is going to be worth it for you.

I have and like them, but I don't think there's any significant difference as far as my commute time goes. In fact if I only used my bike for commuting I'm not sure I'd bother with them. I go back to platforms in the winter. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to know whether or not you'll like clipless without using them for awhile.
Old 02-19-10, 05:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ryang
I have these (Shimano MT21)
I use these shoes too. They are the most comfortable shoes I own. Not just the most comfortable cycling shoes -- the most comfortable shoes, period. OTOH, they are quite heavy. I got them on sale for about $30.

I use Crank Brothers pedals, and my cleats don't rub the ground much. Once in a while I hear a little grinding when I'm walking on a sidewalk. On a carpet I never notice the cleats. On the hardwood floors at home, I have to make sure my wife doesn't see me.

You can get Crank Brothers Eggbeater MXR or Smarty pedals for around $30, though I'm not sure they're a bargain in the long run. I've had a pair of each start squealing like Ned Beatty after one winter of use. A few dollars more will buy you Eggbeater C or Candy C, both of which I've used extensively (including CX racing) with no problems.

I don't have them, but you can get adapters for the Crank Brothers pedals to use them with normal shoes here:

https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...tform+Adapters

Last edited by Andy_K; 02-19-10 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added CB platform adapters
Old 02-19-10, 08:48 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
Time now offers a half-platform version of their ATAC pedal, the Allroad Gripper.
I've never used these particulars, but with Time, you cannot go wrong!

I'd seriously follow this man's (woman's?) recommendation
Old 02-19-10, 09:58 PM
stickmangumby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason I'm looking for shoes I can wear around is that at the moment I'm doing consulting work, so I don't have a fixed place I head off to each day. I think it's probably impractical to carry a second pair of shoes in my bag, so I'm hoping to find something comfy enough to get by in all day! If I can't find anything suitable I'll have to give up on the idea for now.

I'm trying to keep the budget low because I'm not sure how suitable the idea is or how much I'll appreciate clipless. I figure the best way to answer both questions is to just give it a try!

I just bought a pair of Shimano SH-MT30 shoes on ebay so I'm about to find out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.