Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Long spokes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 01:48 PM
neil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long spokes

I'm just working on my first wheel build, and it appears that I completely messed up the spoke calculator when I ordered the parts. It looks like be the time I tension everything up, the spokes will be sticking several mm past their nipples on the inside.

Now, it's a double walled rim, so everything is recessed...I'm thinking that once I put in the rim tape, nothing will be in contact with these overlong spokes. Is this a reasonable assumption? Can I keep building the wheel, or should I pull all the spokes out and order shorter ones?

I don't really want to take it apart, but it's for my winter bike, so I've lost of time to get it finished if I really have to.
Old 05-23-10, 01:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'd take the wheel apart and get the right length spokes. While there's a possibility that you might get it to work, since you're talking about "several millimeters" almost surely the nipples are going to run out of threads and bottom out and you won't be able to get the wheel tensioned and trued.

As a general rule when you discover a screw up, the sooner you turn around the better.
Old 05-23-10, 02:02 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'd take the wheel apart and get the right length spokes. While there's a possibility that you might get it to work, since you're talking about "several millimeters" almost surely the nipples are going to run out of threads and bottom out and you won't be able to get the wheel tensioned and trued.

As a general rule when you discover a screw up, the sooner you turn around the better.
I agree.

But before you order new spokes make sure the spokes are laced correctly with the correct number of crossings. If 3 cross the first crossing is really close to the hub.
Old 05-23-10, 02:06 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear, but probably the right approach.

The lacing is definitely correct. I've done enough spoke replacements to be familiar with the crossing pattern for a typical 3-cross, and that's what I've built. Plus I was being really anal about getting the lacing right.
Old 05-23-10, 03:46 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Priorities are in order when being anal. Before becoming anal over lacing, you should be anal over getting the spoke length correct for the rim and hub your using. I believe the best way to do that is an anal do-it-yourself measuring of the pertinent hub and rim. Then anally repeat the exercise and check the results in several spoke calculators including comparing your hub and rim measurements with multiple databases. Once you believe your chosen spoke length is appropriate proceed to the next most appropriate anal focus.
Old 05-23-10, 03:46 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you can twist the spokes into each other to effectively shorten the length.
PITA to replace broken spokes, but wheels with spokes bent around each other are stronger than conventional wheels.

something like this
https://www.instructables.com/id/Twis...ng---flowers!/

if the wheel allows it, you can also go to a 4 cross. But these would be on 36h or 40h 700c wheels.
Old 05-23-10, 04:31 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Maybe you'll like adding my executable and spreadsheet calc tools to your calculation checklist:

https://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyflemingapplications.php

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-23-10, 05:04 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wmodavis
Priorities are in order when being anal. Before becoming anal over lacing, you should be anal over getting the spoke length correct for the rim and hub your using. I believe the best way to do that is an anal do-it-yourself measuring of the pertinent hub and rim. Then anally repeat the exercise and check the results in several spoke calculators including comparing your hub and rim measurements with multiple databases. Once you believe your chosen spoke length is appropriate proceed to the next most appropriate anal focus.
That's what I always do as well. There are A LOT of measurement errors in the various hub & wheel databases out there. Even with the major manufacturers like DT & Wheelsmith. Best way is to measure all the dimensions yourself and plug actual values into the spoke-calculators rather than relying on their built-in tables.
Old 05-23-10, 05:47 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a cheap digital or dial caliper for around $20 and you could have taken correct measurements, and had the right #'s from the get go.

Although...I have the calipers because of Cartridge reloading, they sure come in handy for wheel building, too!

Get the right spokes, and try again. It will be worth it in the end!
Old 05-23-10, 05:54 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
see if you can lace it 4x
Old 05-23-10, 06:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
I can't answer because I don't know how far off you are, not how far the spokes can stick up before running out of thread. Before you throw up your hands in disgust and take it apart, thread one nipple down a spoke and find out how far your spokes can potrude, and compare it to your expected build. I'd say you want a safety margin of at least 1mm, but if it looks close, you have a decision to make, whether to gamble your time in completing the wheel, or start fresh.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-23-10, 06:11 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by reptilezs
see if you can lace it 4x
No way, the difference in spoke-length between 3x and 4x is usually about 11-12mm. And his hub-flange might be too big to support 4x.