Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Love recumbents!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Love recumbents!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 06:48 PM
JLB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love recumbents!

Started out 3 yrs ago on Bike E... later the same year bought a Rans Rocket then last year bought a V2. The V2 wasn't a good fit so I sold it and am currently riding my Rocket. I love the Rocket. One of these days I might try out one of the 26/26 bikes but can't imagine parting with the Rocket. I ride mostly on the Athens bike path. It's a nice path running 18+ miles from Athens to Nelsonville.
Old 06-23-05, 06:06 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rocket is a nice bike. It would be my choice if and when I enter the world of the SWB. I currently ride a Tailwind and enjoy it immensely. It is a nice "do all" bike.
Old 06-23-05, 11:35 AM
JLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling the Tailwind would've been more to my liking verses the V2... I simply could not dial in the V2. I took to the Rocket the first week making seat adjustments and whatnot. I recently bought a cycleops trainer (fluid) for the winter... not the road but not bad.
Old 06-23-05, 12:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I started on a V-Rex. Hmm, I detect a common theme here... Rocket, Tailwind, V-Rex...
Old 06-23-05, 08:07 PM
JLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There ya go! I didn't have any qualms about giving up my V2 and bike E. As mentioned before I might try a 26/26 swb sometime but the Rocket stays!
Old 06-24-05, 09:53 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee that theme wouldn't be spelled R-A-N-S now would it? (HEHEHEHE)
Old 01-30-06, 02:48 PM
midgeracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
undefinedundefinedundefined
I just got started with my recumbent. Did 60 miles this week. I'm hoping to drop 15 pounds.
Has any one drop weight from riding? midgeracer
Old 01-30-06, 03:32 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midgeracer
I just got started with my recumbent. Did 60 miles this week. I'm hoping to drop 15 pounds.
midgeracer: On the training/nutrition forum, there is a sticky thread all about weight loss and cycling. there is almost always someone talking about it on there as well.

Good luck with your weight loss, I think cycling is a great start to meeting your goal.
Old 01-30-06, 03:46 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love them too! It wasn't long ago that I was one of those who thought 'bents really looked weird. Then I started really watching some of the local guys on theirs and decided to test ride one. There were two 'bent owners at the LBS when I went. Both told me I shouldn't try a 'bent unless I planned on buying one. They were right. I bought a Corsa and I love it. It's still a bit scary starting and turning tight turns but after only a few hours around the neighborhood I already fell 10 times more confident than I did the first ride. It felt great the first time I turned around in a cul-de-sac without unclipping from the inside pedal. I don't think it will be long before I'm as comfortable with my 'bent abilities as I am on a DF.

SS
Old 01-30-06, 05:59 PM
rwgreenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Rocket too! I test rode a few bikes before making the plunge. The Rocket was the easiest SWB I tested. It was not too expensive (relatively speaking). Being my first bent I couldn't really justify spending much more. I didn't care that it may not be too fast. My only complaint is that the seat slips. I put a pieice of rubber tubing in between the clamp and the frame...it works, but is still a pain as I have to take off the seat (or at least move it back) to get the bike onto my repair stand or into the back of my hatchback. The little rubber makes it a bit harder to deal with the seat.
Old 01-30-06, 06:19 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rwgreenberg
Love my Rocket too! I test rode a few bikes before making the plunge. The Rocket was the easiest SWB I tested. It was not too expensive (relatively speaking). Being my first bent I couldn't really justify spending much more. I didn't care that it may not be too fast. My only complaint is that the seat slips. I put a pieice of rubber tubing in between the clamp and the frame...it works, but is still a pain as I have to take off the seat (or at least move it back) to get the bike onto my repair stand or into the back of my hatchback. The little rubber makes it a bit harder to deal with the seat.
An inelegant but more practical method is to put a hoseclamp behind the seat. For one, it keeps the seat from slipping back, and secondly, it provides a marker for where to replace your seat after you remove it.

I've even seen some hoseclamps surrounded by rubber so that you don't mar your frame. Otherwise you can place a rubber strip under the hoseclamp before you tighten it to your frame. This is assuming you have a Rad-Loc seat clamp.

However, many people do not have the seat slippage issue after adjusting the set screws on the Rad-Loc clamp.
Old 01-31-06, 06:51 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck yes. I only rode 8-10km a day this past summer, and dropped over 15 pounds.
Old 01-31-06, 09:07 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did at first, but I don't ride during the winter and I gained it all back. I do lose some in the summer, but I love to eat so the weight stays on. Except, I've lost weight this winter just by not eating if I'm not hungry. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue that trend when riding season gets underway.
Old 02-01-06, 08:13 PM
MaxBender
Take Your Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On dropping weight:

My wife was people watching on the Silver Comet Trail while waiting for me to return from my 1 hour out, 1 hour back ride.

She noted that most of the bent riders she saw were disproportionately large compared to the wedgie riders rolling by.
Old 02-01-06, 09:32 PM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxBender
On dropping weight:

My wife ... noted that most of the bent riders she saw were disproportionately large compared to the wedgie riders rolling by.
Who better to drop weight than the disproportionate? If upright bikes were the only means to drop weight, they might still be at home in their easy chairs instead.
Old 02-01-06, 09:50 PM
World Tour
A1A cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn, American Bicycle Company, Jamis, Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
_bent riders she saw were disproportionately large compared to the wedgie riders_

Isn't it supposed to be more efficienat on a bent?
Old 02-02-06, 10:38 AM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by World Tour
Isn't it supposed to be more efficienat on a bent?
Interesting question. It's more comfortable. But efficient, that I wouldn't be so sure about. And when you think about it, an exercise that isn't so efficient, wouldn't that make you burn more calories?

But I'm not riding to lose weight(although it helps), I'm riding cause I enjoy my bent and trike so much.
Old 02-03-06, 05:19 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
brought the bikeE out today (2001 ct, meuller fairing, fenders, pannier racks, ebag, flag, etc) on this 62 degree day in s nj. what a blast! cars were honking, people waving, had other drivers BACK out of lane (making turns onto road). that usually doesn't happen with my other road or trail bikes. lowrider car drivers were watching (too cool to wave/honk/etc). legs felt the 11mile/41min run but i gotta do this more!
Old 02-04-06, 07:53 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love recumbents, yes I do. Started 30 years ago with my "Ground Hugger" clone that I made... Jump ahead to 2001 when I bought a used Linear. That is my limo or cadilac if you wish. Have made a swb with a 16 inch front wheel. That is my sports model. It does need some refining though. peace and keep on pedaling.