Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My ~1983 Colnago Nuovo Mexico Build Begins

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My ~1983 Colnago Nuovo Mexico Build Begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 11:58 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Ah yes, the pin. I just removed mine. I can ever recall doping a chain to the outside of a well set up bike. I'm not too worried.

You are on the right path however. The parts you have are ideal for this frame. You can find a c-record project later on down the line.
Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind to just remove the pin, but I want to tamper with the panto parts for obvious reasons. I have never dropped a chain on the frame side with the FD limits properly set either. I suppose you're right, I'll just have to find a C-Record project in the future... How are you liking yours?
Old 02-02-14, 12:07 PM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by SJX426
Beautiful frame set and nice set of parts! how do you know it is an "83?
Thanks! The biggest clue that I have to the age of this bike is the fact that Danny van Baelen only rode for Boule d'or in 1983.

Teams

1983 [BEL] Boule d'Or (Belgium)
1984 [BEL] Tönissteiner - Lotto - Mavic - Pecotex (Belgium)
1985 [BEL] Tönissteiner - TW Rock - BASF - Humo (Belgium)

https://www.cyclingarchives.com/coure...coureurid=7027

Looks like '83 was a rough year for the guy.

Though he did appear to finish the '85 Paris - Roubaix which I understand was an especially brutal year.

If anyone has better google-fu than me and can find a pic of Danny on this bike (or any additional info), I'd be eternally grateful...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vanbaelen danny 1983.jpg (47.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Sir_Name; 02-02-14 at 12:20 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 02-02-14, 12:34 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind to just remove the pin, but I want to tamper with the panto parts for obvious reasons. I have never dropped a chain on the frame side with the FD limits properly set either. I suppose you're right, I'll just have to find a C-Record project in the future... How are you liking yours?
My group isn't really "c-record". I used c-record cranks arms, monoplanar brakes, and a front hub from the early 90s teamed up with a 10spd rear hub, derailleurs, chainrings then tied the whole works together with a pair of 80spd ergo levers I converted to 10spd.

i love it, but it isn't representative of c-record. The only change I would make is a pair of deltas if the right deal presented itself.
Old 02-02-14, 01:28 PM
Sir_Name 

My group isn't really "c-record". I used c-record cranks arms, monoplanar brakes, and a front hub from the early 90s teamed up with a 10spd rear hub, derailleurs, chainrings then tied the whole works together with a pair of 80spd ergo levers I converted to 10spd.

i love it, but it isn't representative of c-record. The only change I would make is a pair of deltas if the right deal presented itself.
Ah, guess I should have looked a little closer...

How did you go about converting the ergo levers to 10spd?

Last edited by Sir_Name; 02-02-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 01:43 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In short, you gut the lever, replace it with most of the parts from a 10spd lever, slightly modify one spring, and drill a small hole in the lever body.

it is far from cost effective. First you need 8spd levers worth the effort and then you need to buy all new internals or sacrifice a good 10spd lever. If silver 10spd is your goal, alloy chorus 10spd or centaur levers will perform just as good at a lower price point.
Old 02-03-14, 08:15 PM
Sir_Name 

In short, you gut the lever, replace it with most of the parts from a 10spd lever, slightly modify one spring, and drill a small hole in the lever body.

it is far from cost effective. First you need 8spd levers worth the effort and then you need to buy all new internals or sacrifice a good 10spd lever. If silver 10spd is your goal, alloy chorus 10spd or centaur levers will perform just as good at a lower price point.
Sounds like fun. I love that Campy is rebuildable.
Old 03-13-14, 05:19 PM
Sir_Name 

Progress...

The hoops came in today.

And thank you Kactus for the calipers!!

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-13-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 09:00 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You're welcome! I'm just excited to see the complete bike.
Old 03-13-14, 09:15 PM
Sir_Name 

Me too! Getting the wheels built will be a big step forward. (I need to learn to do that myself...)
Old 03-14-14, 01:48 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
My 2 cents worth: Love the frame and the 3 cable guides are no problem really. I'd quite happily re-fit the original Boule d'Or group set or (second choice) go a full 50th Campy gruppo as Saronni used in '83. I do like a modern gruppo on older steel frames but in this case I'd stick to Campy Super Record.
Old 03-14-14, 05:52 AM
Sir_Name 

Thank you, Gary. I am quite happily (and slowly) refitting the Boule d'Or group. A 50th Anniv. build will have to wait for another project (and decade, most likely...).

It looks like you have quite the stable!
Old 03-14-14, 10:18 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Thank you, Gary. I am quite happily (and slowly) refitting the Boule d'Or group. A 50th Anniv. build will have to wait for another project (and decade, most likely...).

It looks like you have quite the stable!
Thanks Sir_Name, your frame really caught my attention and It's nice to read that you are building it up with the Boule d'Or groupset. It really looks fantastic. I can hardly wait to see it all come together which won't be far away looking at your collection of components.

I came across an '83 Colnago Mexico frame that was beautifully restored and I just so happened to have a 50th group set and a photo or two of Saronni's '83 bike so I went about building it up with a very similar component spec. that Saronni rode. It was a bit of a pity that I didn't have a crimped frame like yours. Anyway I love it as it is and it is a really nice bike to ride.

I do think yours will be much more desirable than mine - hands down. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 03-14-14, 10:58 AM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Thanks Sir_Name, your frame really caught my attention and It's nice to read that you are building it up with the Boule d'Or groupset. It really looks fantastic. I can hardly wait to see it all come together which won't be far away looking at your collection of components.

I came across an '83 Colnago Mexico frame that was beautifully restored and I just so happened to have a 50th group set and a photo or two of Saronni's '83 bike so I went about building it up with a very similar component spec. that Saronni rode. It was a bit of a pity that I didn't have a crimped frame like yours. Anyway I love it as it is and it is a really nice bike to ride.

I do think yours will be much more desirable than mine - hands down. Thanks for starting this thread.
Thank you for the kind words! This build fell into place for me a few months back and it has been a pleasure to see it start to come together. This will be my best bike by far to date (and possibly ever). I can't wait to get the wheels laced up and onto the frame - that will be a major milestone. That is the one piece of work that I have to outsource (for now). I'm thinking they'll get 25mm (27mm?) Challenge Paris-Roubaix sew-ups.

Care to share a link to your 50th equipped Mexico? (and any other bikes for that matter, I can 't get enough) I did a bunch of searching for various Mexico builds at the begining of this project (and continue to). I wonder if I've already found yours in my search. I know I found one Saronni inspired 50th build a while back...
Old 03-14-14, 11:24 AM
Gary Fountain

Thank you for the kind words! This build fell into place for me a few months back and it has been a pleasure to see it start to come together. This will be my best bike by far to date (and possibly ever). I can't wait to get the wheels laced up and onto the frame - that will be a major milestone. That is the one piece of work that I have to outsource (for now). I'm thinking they'll get 25mm (27mm?) Challenge Paris-Roubaix sew-ups.

Care to share a link to your 50th equipped Mexico? (and any other bikes for that matter, I can 't get enough) I did a bunch of searching for various Mexico builds at the begining of this project (and continue to). I wonder if I've already found yours in my search. I know I found one Saronni inspired 50th build a while back...
Yes, that sounds like mine. I will post a photo of mine below. It's all shiny and clean but it's not original and highly desirable like yours:

Old 03-14-14, 12:41 PM
Sir_Name 

Yes, that sounds like mine. I will post a photo of mine below. It's all shiny and clean but it's not original and highly desirable like yours:
That's the one. Absolutely beautiful. Yours was my main point of inspiration from the beginning, it's great to cross paths.

I have yet to come face to face with the 50th gruppo. I can only imagine how yours looks in person.

How does she ride? What tires are pictured/you using? Conti's?

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-14-14 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 01:24 PM
Gary Fountain

It's really nice to ride. Quite surprisingly light. In fact it weighs 20 1/2lb which is noticeable in the saddle. It's my lightest bike from that era. The 50th gruppo is something I really desired and I had it on another Colnago frame for a number of years but I was always fascinated by the fact that Beppe Saronni used it on his bike so when I came across this '83 frame I had to swap the group set onto it. I think the 50th group set is at the 'pointy end' of the Super Record stuff although I do think there were some more refined Super Record components that followed such as a more highly polished seat post and fluteless crank arms. Saronni used Colnago branded toe clips and changed the 50th gruppo pedals for Campy track pedals (I wonder if they had titanium axles?). I really like the Concor saddle shape and I have fitted a 'Concor Confort' to this bike as Saronni used.

The singles on the bike are a very cheap Chinese brand but I have a pair of Vittoria Corsa singles in reserve.

I'm sure you will find that your bike will build-up to be quite light and a wonderful ride. All of my Colnago's are nice to ride with a very neutral geometry - very predictable, stable and comfortable. They suit me anyway.
Old 03-22-14, 08:50 AM
Sir_Name 

It's really nice to ride. Quite surprisingly light. In fact it weighs 20 1/2lb which is noticeable in the saddle. It's my lightest bike from that era. The 50th gruppo is something I really desired and I had it on another Colnago frame for a number of years but I was always fascinated by the fact that Beppe Saronni used it on his bike so when I came across this '83 frame I had to swap the group set onto it. I think the 50th group set is at the 'pointy end' of the Super Record stuff although I do think there were some more refined Super Record components that followed such as a more highly polished seat post and fluteless crank arms. Saronni used Colnago branded toe clips and changed the 50th gruppo pedals for Campy track pedals (I wonder if they had titanium axles?). I really like the Concor saddle shape and I have fitted a 'Concor Confort' to this bike as Saronni used.

The singles on the bike are a very cheap Chinese brand but I have a pair of Vittoria Corsa singles in reserve.

I'm sure you will find that your bike will build-up to be quite light and a wonderful ride. All of my Colnago's are nice to ride with a very neutral geometry - very predictable, stable and comfortable. They suit me anyway.
Gary - I just checked back in on this thread and saw your response; I received no notification in my control panel for some reason...!

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to have her assembled and road-ready. I'm shooting for my inaugural ride on the first day of summer or my birthday - it will certainly be a special day.

I would agree (with my limited knowledge) that the 50th gruppo is the pinnacle of refinements for the SR 'stuff'; or at least a fit and wealthy older brother. I look forward to the day that I cross paths with a 50th equipped machine in person. It's a shame that I don't live closer to a number of you.

I've read elsewhere that Beppe (and others) would ride track pedals (for clearance in turns, yes?). "I really like the Concor saddle shape and I have fitted a 'Concor Confort' to this bike as Saronni used." I'm still on the fence with regards to my saddle decision here. I'm sure I would swoon over the looks of a honey Brooks swallow with this bike/paint (along with leather hoods from rootboy), but the impulse to keep this bike 'correct' is getting stronger as time goes on. I will have this bike for a very long time yet, so I can at least take comfort in the ability to fiddle with the build in the future.

By the way, as I've been digging deeper into the C&V forum I have been finding MANY gems. My recent find is the Show us your Colnago Super, Mexico, Arabesque, Master... thread. You would think I would have found that sooner... Y'all have some beautiful and stunning bicycles. DD - that Molteni Super!! Gary - your Conic SLX is pure class. Pullup's build is sleek and beautiful. Each bike within that thread is a joy to see.

...the sun is out, it's a beautiful morning and it's time for me to hop on some 'modern' aluminum and stretch the legs.

Best Regards.
Old 03-22-14, 09:30 AM
Gary Fountain

Hi Sir_Name,

A Brooks Swallow is definitely on my 'must buy one day' list. I haven't had cause to source one yet. Choice of saddles, as everyone appreciates, is a very personal decision but I'm glad I suit the Concor shape. I'm sure your Colnago would look fantastic with a honey coloured Brooks Swallow and 'Rootboy' leather hoods.

I know the 'Colnago' thread you speak of and it is jam-packed with beautiful machines. I too admire Drillium Dude's Orange Super and all the other Colnago's. It's interesting just how strong the feelings are towards the Colnago marque, either for of against, amongst the Forum members.

I really like your attitude towards your Colnago; it is your bike and you are quite free to build it as you desire, and, as time progresses, it may very well see a number of guises. It's my opinion that a steel Colnago frame is a great starting point for any classic build.

I hope you enjoy your ride today.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-22-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 09:50 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I'm still enjoying this thread quite a bit.

Thanks.

Look what popped up 5 minutes from my house in St. Paul.

Little smallish for me, but if anyone is truly interested, will gleefully facilitate.

Colnago Super w/ parts 56cm

Old 03-22-14, 01:32 PM
Sir_Name 

I hope you enjoy your ride today.
Originally Posted by gomango
I'm still enjoying this thread quite a bit.

Thanks.
Thank you, Guys. I can't wait to update again once I have a rolling chassis...

Wonderful find, gomango.
Old 03-22-14, 02:12 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
My vote goes for perforated white leather Concor SuperCorsa and matching Fizik SuperLight classic bartape in white. Now that's a sexy combo.

Old 03-22-14, 04:39 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I second that vote
Old 03-22-14, 05:03 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I second that vote
Sounds good to me as well.

That will really make that pretty frame pop.
Old 03-22-14, 05:28 PM
Gary Fountain

Now that's a very nice frame and components gomango - very nice offer of assistance too (typical 'gomango' consideration of others). I think the asking price is reasonable considering that you actually get in the package (Colnago branded bars and stem, with Super Record components). Shoota's suggestion of saddle/bar tape is well considered and would look fantastic on a Saronni coloured Colnago frame.
Old 03-22-14, 08:59 PM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by shoota
My vote goes for perforated white leather Concor SuperCorsa and matching Fizik SuperLight classic bartape in white. Now that's a sexy combo.

Funny you should mention that...I've all but decided on the Fizik tape in white. I'll have to see about finding a test ride for that saddle - it looks as though it may suit me well, and I agree that the two together would set off the paint nicely. The perforations on white hint at the black on white frame lettering. Great suggestion, thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.