Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How good is Tange CrMo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How good is Tange CrMo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 10:41 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How good is Tange CrMo?

Dunno anything about steel frames. Especially old ones. I know Reynolds seem to be quite well received. Anyways, how about Tange CrMo? Are they mid-range? Bottom of the barrel stuff?
Old 09-08-10, 10:43 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
They have made the full range of quality. El-Cheepo to Primo.

Tange Super-Lite was used in my favorite MTB frame of all time.
Tange Champion (forget if it was 1 or 2) was used in the second favorite road frame I've owned.
Old 09-08-10, 10:45 AM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of more concern is not the quality, but how you pronounce it.

Some say tanj
Some say tahn-gay

Old 09-08-10, 01:11 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
(for Road frames) Tange Prestige is their lightest and top line.
The Champion line, or more simply just Tange, starts at #1 and goes down the pecking order to #5.
Tange #1 is double-butted, and has similar weight and post-brazing characteristics of regular butted Reynolds 531 (aka 531c).
They have a seamed tubing you'll see quite a bit: "Infinity".
You'll also see "Mangalloy". Trek used this on my '83 model 600 for the fork and stays, paired with a 531c triangle
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-08-10, 03:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Tange tubing is very good within it's respective ranges and the level is indicated by both grading numbers (1-5) and more descriptive titles like Prestige which indicates that a top quality tube set was used.

Tange Champion tubes came in straight gauge and butted versions IIRC... the frame sticker will indicate this.

Had a Sekine roll into the shop the other day and it was built on Champion butted tubes... was quite surprised by how light this rather over sized frame was when I picked it up.
Old 09-08-10, 10:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Tange tubing was very nice. "Champion" tubes were double-butted chrome-moly, in various gauges.
Old 09-09-10, 09:22 AM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Nobody's really come out and said it, but Tange's high-end tubing (Champion and Prestige) is as good as anything out there. In fact, the quality and consistency are probably better than "Brand C" or "Brand R", if only because Tange's machinery is newer.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 09-09-10, 01:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by bobbycorno
Nobody's really come out and said it, but Tange's high-end tubing (Champion and Prestige) is as good as anything out there. In fact, the quality and consistency are probably better than "Brand C" or "Brand R", if only because Tange's machinery is newer.

SP
Bend, OR
Once upon a long time ago many of the best bicycles were built with Reynolds or Columbus tubesets and then the Japanese came along and started doing everything better... and this applied to tube making.

Ishiwata and Tange make tubing that is every bit as good and some of the nicest riding bicycles I have ever ridden were built on these tube sets.

But we should keep this hush hush as most people will see a Champion db sticker on a bike and not even give it a second thought thinking that it is an inferior frame to a Reynold's or Columbus based model.

Old 09-09-10, 01:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Mums the word. We must keep the masses salivating for 3 digit numbers and white birds only.
Old 09-09-10, 01:55 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Once upon a long time ago many of the best bicycles were built with Reynolds or Columbus tubesets and then the Japanese came along and started doing everything better... and this applied to tube making.

Well this pretty much apply to products that Japan makes. Look at Toyota and Honda. they trump our once beloved Dodge and Chevys. The Mazda Miata enable open top fun driving does not equate to miserable unreliable British (triumph) nor quirky Italian (Alfa) equivalents.

Anyhoo the Tange model that's in question is Infinity. Heard of that?
Old 09-09-10, 02:07 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Infinity is a double butted tube set that is formed and welded (seamed) rather than drawn (seamless)... this should not cause you any worries as it is of excellent quality and was used on many high end bicycles.
Old 09-09-10, 09:27 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Tange 900 is another less expensive, double butted chromoly steel, seamed, that was/is found on lower end frames, but is good quality. Tange made a wide range of steel tubing, but they didn't make any crap. Or at least they didn't put the Tange decal/name on any crap tubing.
Old 09-09-10, 09:31 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i have a tange 1000 frame that is a little heavy but otherwise a nice frame for the money
Old 09-10-10, 05:59 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
Well this pretty much apply to products that Japan makes. Look at Toyota and Honda. they trump our once beloved Dodge and Chevys. The Mazda Miata enable open top fun driving does not equate to miserable unreliable British (triumph) nor quirky Italian (Alfa) equivalents.

Anyhoo the Tange model that's in question is Infinity. Heard of that?

I've owned bikes in Tange 5 through Tange Champion, and can attest that they are equivalent to, not better than, the same grades of tubing from the other manufacturers.
-Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves into thinking everything that is Japanese is necessarily better: Regarding Honda and Toyota, my sister had two of them until recently and her experience explains why she is back to happily driving a Dodge.
Old 09-10-10, 10:27 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My last Nissan Sentra had the odometer roll over to 000,000 and it was only because I found a virtually new engine that I swapped out the old one as it was still running very well.

Sold it when the odometer had worked it's way back up to 200,000 km.. it is still ticking along just fine.

Am hoping my new Sentra is as good as the old one.
Old 09-10-10, 10:49 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I had a bunch of 80s and early 90s Corollas (a Nova and Prizm here and there, also) and those were some of my favorite cars. I'd buy one with about 100k miles on and run it 'til major engine work was needed (250-350k, usually).

Then I got all fancy and got a 1996 Camry. Full of gremlins.

If I were to buy American (even though some of my Corolla/Nova/Prism run was assembled in America), I'd probably go for one of those gigantic 1991-96 Buick Roadmasters. Straight pimpin!
Old 09-12-10, 05:07 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem...getting back to bicycles....

I have at least three bikes with Tange Champion Tubes...30 years later they still ride great....light, springy, responsive.

I also had an MG Midget...sucked big time! :-) Broke down every two weeks like clockwork.
Old 04-18-14, 04:56 PM
paulmac

Bikes: Repco Tange 2 Tig Welded, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tange 2 tig welded

I have a Tange 2 frame that was branded Repco in Australia, purchased from the president of a cycle racing club which I gradually built up to Dura Ace with Mavic CXP33 wheels. I loved that bike but bent it when I drive under a carpark with it on the roof. My wife purchased a Bianchi Boron Steel Pinella with her insurance payout and I purchased a replacement down tube identical to the Tange 2 DB spec and had it welded into the frame and then repainted Bianchi colours. I prefer the Tange frame to the Bianchi.
Old 04-19-14, 04:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
My Specialized Team Stumpjumper is Tange prestige; nice stuff, the bike rides great.
Old 04-19-14, 04:37 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Timely. My tange frame from above is good enough that I decided its going back together.
Old 04-19-14, 05:52 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Where does Tange Champion (without any # designation) fit into the scheme of things?

On Sekai brand bicycles in particular, on the 2500 and 2700 models I have seen frames marked Tange Double Butted Hi-Ten, Tange Champion #2 and Tange Champion

Old 04-19-14, 07:39 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
Where does Tange Champion (without any # designation) fit into the scheme of things?

On Sekai brand bicycles in particular, on the 2500 and 2700 models I have seen frames marked Tange Double Butted Hi-Ten, Tange Champion #2 and Tange Champion

The Tange Champion decals without a number are usually red or green. My understanding is that the red decals are Tange # 1 and the green are #2 .
Old 04-22-14, 10:14 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Can someone direct me to a Tange tubing i.d. chart circa 1980's? Lots of confusion and speculation threads.
Old 04-22-14, 10:40 AM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
I've owned bikes in Tange 5 through Tange Champion, and can attest that they are equivalent to, not better than, the same grades of tubing from the other manufacturers.
-Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves into thinking everything that is Japanese is necessarily better: Regarding Honda and Toyota, my sister had two of them until recently and her experience explains why she is back to happily driving a Dodge.
Let me take a wild guess. You live in Detroit, Mich, right? By the way, what's a Dodge? Oh yea, a discontinued Chrysler (now owned 100% by Fiat).
Old 04-22-14, 10:51 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

Ishiwata and Tange make tubing that is every bit as good and some of the nicest riding bicycles I have ever ridden were built on these tube sets.
...I don't know why exactly, but a couple of my top favorites are constructed of Ishiwata 022 tubing.
I think someone still makes the stuff, but under a different name ? Anyway, I guess it got used in some good designs.

Ishiwata Tubing Catalog circa early 1980's

Tange Catalog from 1997

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.