Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Running Shoes fine to Cycle in?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Running Shoes fine to Cycle in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 10:53 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
After relearning how to properly tie my shoes (lots of u-tube video's on this) I've yet to have a lace come untied. On the bike the exposed ends and loops also get tucked into the shoe for extra safety. I often ride fixed gear where a loose lace caught in the crank/chain ring could cause a really bad day.
Yeah, but you have technical skills far beyond my pay grade. I flunked the "color within the lines" test - in 9th grade art class.
Old 09-18-16, 11:12 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
btw, sierratradingpost is a good place to buy casual-style cycling shoes, like these Merrells - especially if you know how to use your coupons there
Merrell Roust Fury Cycling Shoes (For Men) - Save 36%
Old 09-18-16, 11:34 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
Where you can get away with running shoes, sandals, etc., are large platform pedals, where the foot load is distributed evenly in front and behind your arch.
As demonstrated in replies above, even this doesn't work for everybody. I personally can ride 80+ mi in my Merrells on my platforms without strain or circulation pinch.
I think to take the strain from the arch the pedal would have to pretty much go back to your heel and none do that I've seen. If your feet are use to the load and tough, it's no biggie. I've done century barefoot, and short tours at near century distance each day for a few days barefoot. Only reason I'd wear shoes is when it gets cold out, but most people aren't going to have as tough of feet.
Old 09-19-16, 05:11 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
my Raceface Atlas do, as do MKS Lambda (both are 120mm long). I've been 88 miles on the Atlas in Merrell running shoes. It works equally well with my Blackspire El Gordos on my low-BB-height bike.
Feet are personal matters, but there are physiological aspects to common problems.

this is the bike that now has the Black Spire El Gordo pedals - nice grippy spikes and narrow-enough width to avoid pedal strikes.

For awhile I was trying some really nice tennis shoes in my toe clip pedals and noted the arch strain on long rides. Went to Chrome Kursk bike "sneakers" which have shanks and eliminated that problem, and rode these about 4 years. What I didn't like about them is they have an ersatz rubber strap around the toe box in the style of Keds, which impede ingress past the toe straps. I recently replaced them with leather touring shoes, which I really like for the toe straps/clips.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-19-16 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 07:15 AM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear New Balance sneakers and believe my shoes could be much stiffer, but I don't encounter foot problems until 30-40 miles in. Even then, nothing a minute of walking the bike can't solve.
Old 09-19-16, 07:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wear Montrail low top hiking shoes for bicycling. One bike has platform pedals, the other has plastic rat traps which I'm going to replace with platforms. I'm not going to wear shoes that I can't walk for miles in if needed. I don't like to call anyone to pester them for a ride if anything goes wrong, so I prefer to be prepared to walk home.

I used to run. No more. Too hard on my back and neck after injuries from a car wreck. I used to ride with rigid soled cleated Detto Pietros and toe clips. No more. Being stuck in one foot position occasionally caused knee pain while climbing hills when I was younger. It was an advantage only when spinning on flat terrain or downhill, and not enough to make a huge difference for me.

After riding platforms for a year, I'm pretty satisfied. But I mostly rode with the ball of the foot centered over the pedal axle. Occasionally I'll scoot the foot forward a bit for climbing hills. It felt like centering my foot arch over the pedal would feel better, but I wouldn't give myself permission to do that because... the bicycle police would get me.

But after reading James Wilson's blog and hype for his Catalyst pedals, I decided to give his recommendations a try -- centering the arch of the foot over the pedal axle. Feels weird. But I'm trying it.

After a week of that technique (not quite with arch centered over the pedal axle, but close), I gotta admit, I'm liking it. I feel stronger climbing hills. I'm having less cramping in the middle of the night with my calves and thighs. It's working pretty well both on the compact frame hybrid with platforms and the conventional bike with plastic rat traps. I may even be 1-2 mph faster on familiar routes, but I'll need to repeat several laps to be sure.

But I'm not sold on the Catalyst pedals. Yet. I'll just try conventional 4"x4" platforms for awhile longer on both bikes.
Old 09-19-16, 07:20 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I do both. Have a pair of MTB shoes (without cleats) for longer riding, but most of the time I just go out in my regular shoes. I found the stiffness of the sole of the cycling shoe to help with some numbness I was having on rides of 30 miles or longer, but below that I don't have the issues enough to bother with always keeping them with me.
Old 09-19-16, 07:29 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I know some like riding in running shoes, hiking shoes, or sandals, and in a pinch, any of those could work, especially for shorter rides. But if you are actually riding as a dedicated activity (as opposed to, say, commuting) 6, 8, or 10 hours a week or more, in this day and age, why not go with cycling shoes and some kind of retention system, whether SPD, Crank Brothers, or whatever? SPD pedals are not really any more expensive than a decent set of flat pedals, and cycling shoes are no more expensive than a pair of running or basketball shoes. Do any of you folks who ride in running shoes, would you play basketball in sandals, or running shoes? Would you go for a run in dress shoes? Right tool for the right job, IMO.
Old 09-19-16, 07:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
...Do any of you folks who ride in running shoes, would you play basketball in sandals, or running shoes? Would you go for a run in dress shoes? Right tool for the right job, IMO.
It's debatable whether that argument is entirely relevant to cycling. It's more akin to saying all volleyball players should wear proper volleyball shoes... unless they're playing beach volleyball. In which case they were born with the best footwear.

There's cycling and there's cycling. The oldest argument in every niche hobby. We use the same word to describe many variations of the same thing. Like the blind men describing the elephant.

Read James Wilson's blog for his views on the topic. I hadn't read his articles until long after I'd already decided for myself that I'm more comfortable wearing good walking shoes with platform pedals for my type of cycling. I'm riding 12-16 mph, according to the cycling apps I've used the past few months. I don't see that changing significantly anytime soon. And clipless or toe clips won't make much difference.

And I did wear rigid soled cleated shoes with toe clips years ago. For races and long distance rides. I understand the arguments in favor of that type of gear. It offered a marginal but measurable improvement in performance, although I didn't care for the cleated shoes in commuting and usually preferred running shoes with the toe clips for those rides. I also know that being locked into a position that delivered maximum performance in some conditions wasn't optimal for all conditions I rode.

But if I ever start bicycling I might try clipless. But not while I'm bicycling. For bicycling I'm comfortable with walking shoes and platform pedals.
Old 09-19-16, 07:57 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
some kind of retention system, whether SPD, Crank Brothers, or whatever? SPD pedals are not really any more expensive than a decent set of flat pedals, and cycling shoes are no more expensive than a pair of running or basketball shoes.
I actually like being able to move my feet around to different positions on long rides, just as I like having the ability to move my hands around. Hard to do with cleats.
Old 09-19-16, 08:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's debatable whether that argument is entirely relevant to cycling. It's more akin to saying all volleyball players should wear proper volleyball shoes... unless they're playing beach volleyball. In which case they were born with the best footwear.

There's cycling and there's cycling. The oldest argument in every niche hobby. We use the same word to describe many variations of the same thing. Like the blind men describing the elephant.

Read James Wilson's blog for his views on the topic. I hadn't read his articles until long after I'd already decided for myself that I'm more comfortable wearing good walking shoes with platform pedals for my type of cycling. I'm riding 12-16 mph, according to the cycling apps I've used the past few months. I don't see that changing significantly anytime soon. And clipless or toe clips won't make much difference.

And I did wear rigid soled cleated shoes with toe clips years ago. For races and long distance rides. I understand the arguments in favor of that type of gear. It offered a marginal but measurable improvement in performance, although I didn't care for the cleated shoes in commuting and usually preferred running shoes with the toe clips for those rides. I also know that being locked into a position that delivered maximum performance in some conditions wasn't optimal for all conditions I rode.

But if I ever start bicycling I might try clipless. But not while I'm bicycling. For bicycling I'm comfortable with walking shoes and platform pedals.
I don't know James Wilson, but I will look him up. I don't know enough about Volleyball to say, what appropriate Volleyball footwear would be, but if I played Volleyball as much as I cycle, I would certainly look into it.
Old 09-19-16, 08:35 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
sounds serious (pun intended)
Old 09-19-16, 10:53 AM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think you're fine for now. When your rides get longer you'll know when it's time to move up to cycling shoes and clipless pedals.
Old 09-19-16, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
or just less spongy soled shoes..
Old 09-19-16, 11:48 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...you can always do what I've done which is to get a pair of dual purpose pedals, I bought a pair of Shimano trekkiing pedals, flat on one side with SPD's on the other. The shoes I bought are trekking shoes made by Specialized, they look like light weight hikers but have a stiffer shank and recessed cleats on the bottom. There fine for walking and just as fine for cycling, and when you're in situations where you have to constantly stop you can use the flat pedal side and not worry abour un-clipping and you can move your feet around. For longer uninterrupted runs use the SPD's and enjoy what they offer to your ride. I was a skeptic of clipless pedals but am now a confirmed and happy user of them...
Old 10-22-16, 07:44 PM
wchuck

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely yes, you can wear running shoes on the bike. For what I know from personal experience, experience from friends, and from discussion on forums and sites like this one, the shoes are one of the many things about bike equipment about what the answer to the question is "whatever suits you best". This is very common for riders to use a lot of very different shoes: sandals for grocery, regular shoes for commuting to work, clipless for trails or long distance, fast rides, and so on. You can wear what ever shoes you want to wear. As long as your bike has regular pedals I say go for it.
Old 10-26-16, 05:10 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wchuck
This is very common for riders to use a lot of very different shoes: sandals for grocery, regular shoes for commuting to work, clipless for trails or long distance, fast rides, and so on. You can wear what ever shoes you want to wear. As long as your bike has regular pedals I say go for it.
Don't forget the barefoot category!
Old 10-26-16, 11:34 AM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
The entire point of cycling shoes is that they allow you to mount cleats for clipless pedals. I see no reason to buy cycling shoes unless you plan to join the modern world and buy clipless pedals.
SO 510s are not cycling shoes because they don't have a place for cleats? Someone tell the mountain bike crowd then.

https://www.fiveten.com/us/bike
Old 10-26-16, 02:46 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
SO 510s are not cycling shoes because they don't have a place for cleats? Someone tell the mountain bike crowd then.

Mountain Biking Footwear | Five Ten
If you remember the original post, the OP wanted cycling shoes, but NOT cleats......
Old 10-26-16, 02:54 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll chime in here ... yes, you can. Whatever works for you. My own personal issues with running shoes on the bike - NO laces. I learned that one years ago, one too many falls or near-falls from an untied lace getting caught up in the chain.
Old 10-26-16, 02:59 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I use some trail running shoes and pinned flat pedals when mountain biking. Works great, even over many hour rides. Tuck the lace ends into one of the lace crossovers on the top of the shoe.
Old 10-26-16, 03:12 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
Many of those cheap black plastic pedals are so bad they don't even have ball bearings inside. Just the plastic body turning directly on the steel axle shaft. Pry the end cap out and you often see a washer welded on to the end of the axle to keep the pedal body on. The harder you pedal the more friction and the more of your energy you waste. If you goal is exercise, no problem. If you want to go faster, get some decent pedals. Avoid the metal plates screwed to plastic bodies type. All cast magnesium or cnc'd aluminum alloy is a great step up.

Shoes: I find I have to try them on. No mail order for me. My feet are shaped oddly and many shoes just don't fit at all.
Old 10-26-16, 03:24 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Click it or ticket.
Old 10-26-16, 04:09 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
If you remember the original post, the OP wanted cycling shoes, but NOT cleats......
Why don't you go read the original post again. He asked about Road shoes. You said cycling shoes. Just because it doesn't have a spot for a cleat doesn't mean it isn't a cycling shoe.
Old 10-28-16, 10:10 PM
T Stew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do any of you folks who ride in running shoes, would you play basketball in sandals, or running shoes? Would you go for a run in dress shoes? Right tool for the right job, IMO.
I've found that I can do all those and lots more activities not only with the same footwear, but that that footwear is none. The human foot if you actually use it can be quite adaquate. I'm sure simple running shoes wouldn't be much different. I agree right tool for right job but many jobs can be done without any special tools.
So many seem to get the cycling specific stuff just to hop on the bandwagon and look the part. And companies are more than willing to produce and sell stuff for these folks. Granted sometimes the extra performance may be needed, especially in a race. But if it's not a race and I'm out there to enjoy myself or even training hard, there is very little cycling specific clothing/accessories I find of much benefit. ymmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.