Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone playing hooky tomorrow?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 07:04 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

The forecast for the Boston area is plenty of sun, with temps in the low to mid 70s. Time for a vacation day. It's time to ride. Some take days to go play golf. Me, I take Vac. days to ride.

Uh, do the 20-somethings even know the expression "Play Hooky", or did it just sort of vanish?
Old 10-27-10, 07:10 PM
Jiffyjam

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not quite as nice here near Raleigh NC but good enough to ride. I work night shift so every day can be a riding day if need be. Don't know what the younger crowd calls it nowadays, we called it "skipping class" or school, and it didn't always require a reason.
Old 10-27-10, 08:15 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
No, but I will be making a rare on-time exit from work so I can get in a decent ride before the sun gets too low.
Old 10-28-10, 09:51 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
just take a "sickie"-- But make certain that as its Friday- You don't meet the boss as he will be takong advantage of his position because it's Poets Day (Pi**ed off early tomorrows saturday.)

Haven't taken a sickie for a while now but the last one I had spread into 3 days. Started with a genuine excuse but as everyone else at work seems to take 3 days- so did I. Didn't get any riding in though.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-28-10, 10:22 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I am but not to ride. Leaving work early today to take younger son for an overnight college preview event and won't be home till late tomorrow night. Haven't done much riding the past few weeks due to knee pain but it is mostly gone and I'm itching to get out.
Old 10-28-10, 10:46 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The good news is I can take up to two weeks off. The bad news is I can't ride the bike! Just got out of the hospital yesterday after the cervical surgery. Good thing I stopped at the pharmacy and got the prescription for hydromorphone filled! I usually don't take pain killer, I like to feel a bit of pain just to feel alive, but I'm getting more feeling in some of the nerves coming from the spinal cord. Will be back on the bike in six weeks!

Actually, the doc said I can ride a stationary bike in the meantime. A friend says I should take it really easy and go back gradually. But she was surprised how much I was walking around after surgery. I told her I had been doing a lot of riding prior to, in order to be really fit going into the surgery. I think this is the best advice I could give anybody going into surgery.

L.
Old 10-28-10, 11:15 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
70F in Boston? You're doing better than some of us Southerners. Its supposed to be only 66F with 10-15 mph winds for Atlanta.
Looks like it will be 59F when I head out around 12 noon. Brrr. That will be the coldest temp I've ridden in since last spring.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-28-10, 01:00 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Here is my delemia, I don't get paid days off, until monday, when I'll be too new of an employee to take any dyas off(plus it would just be bad form). Ski season is comming up, maybe I can get 'sick' in a few weeks. Today would have been a great day for a ride, or a paddle, or both.
Old 10-28-10, 01:04 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Nevada Day is celebrated on October 31. Kinda of a weird day to choose, but we get to take Friday off to celebrate NV day. Then again 70 is normal for us this time of year.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-28-10, 05:49 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me! Me! Me! A cool day on the bike is ALWAYS better than a cold day in Hell at work!
Old 10-28-10, 06:01 PM
Bare Feet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
The bad news is I can't ride the bike! Just got out of the hospital yesterday after the cervical surgery.
Feel better & good luck on your recovery!
Old 10-29-10, 11:22 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
92 degrees in Tucson today and only 87 degrees manana,
I play hookie every day (am retired for the past 15 years).
Old 10-30-10, 01:32 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Work day, imposed not choice.

One of the laptops crashed. So, had to remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer to clean it, then reinstall it in the original laptop to repair the OS and get it running again. As it turned out it had lots of malware. The whole process took most of the day.

Got to work off some of the frustration shoveling about 4" off the driveway.
Old 10-31-10, 10:12 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
A quick ride report: Last Thursday, 10/28, was a most enjoyable ride. Temps made into the upper 70's, unusual for this time of year. (But not unheard of) Rode mostly around the Boston area, while occasionally being pushed by strong winds from the west. It was "plastic trash can in the street weather". And there is nothing like relaxing mid-ride, while downing an energy bar, in front of the Commonwealth Ave part of the Boston U. campus. Such nice "scenery".

Man, how do those young college dudes possibly concentrate on school work???

The bike lanes on Comm Ave do indeed go as far westbound as Brighton ave now. Not a bad effort at all. Thanks, Mayor Menino. Interestingly enough, Boston motorists, who are supposed to be among the most agitated and aggressive, seem to respect the bike lanes. You still must be wary of vehicles parked in them however. Mostly delivery vehicles of various types. I suppose that's just the way things are.