Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM quality issues

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM quality issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 05:14 PM
Miller2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SRAM quality issues

Looks like the internals, and I havent had it formally diagnosed yet, on my drive side Force shifter broke...again. I had it warrantied last summer so this is the replacement unit. Last time it was some cheap plastic piece that snapped and I suspect the same thing this time.

Anyone else had quality issues with their SRAM?
Old 04-17-14, 06:16 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Not here with my pre-2012 Red shifters. Sorry! Sounds like you get to enjoy some more warranty service.
Old 04-17-14, 06:20 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not here with my pre-2012 Red shifters. Sorry! Sounds like you get to enjoy some more warranty service.
Mine are 2010 so right about hitting 4 yrs old. 2 failures in 4 yrs seems excessive. I hope they warranty the broken one and Im going to ask for a warranty on the other one. I dont trust them now.
Old 04-17-14, 06:39 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Miller2

Anyone else had quality issues with their SRAM?
Thousands of people have, and SRAM is very aware of the problems.

Don't worry, they always replace it under warranty because they feel bad for charging anyone for their crap in the 1st place.
Old 04-17-14, 06:50 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht

Don't worry, they always replace it under warranty because they feel bad for charging anyone for their crap in the 1st place.
+1.

Not a fan.

Old 04-17-14, 06:52 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+2

2 broken shift levers, 2 cracked sram red cranks, hydro brakes on crux recalled. It's safe to say I will never buy anything sram ever again.
Old 04-17-14, 06:59 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow...I had no idea.
Old 04-17-14, 07:13 PM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over a 1000 miles on mine and no problems at all.
Old 04-17-14, 09:05 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 Force-over 28K miles. No problems, rock solid.
Old 04-18-14, 12:21 AM
Samfujiabq

Bikes: 14 Wilier zero7,13 Fuji Altimira SL,10 Fuji SL1RC,09 Yeti Mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything fails,,some people just say stupid things.I gave both shimano and sram red both are fine!
Old 04-18-14, 01:12 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Samfujiabq
Everything fails,,some people just say stupid things.I gave both shimano and sram red both are fine!
Not everything fails as often as SRAM, but don't worry because SRAM will warranty it when it breaks on you. I just hope you don't get injured by the product failure.
Old 04-18-14, 01:21 AM
Samfujiabq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not everything fails as often as SRAM, but don't worry because SRAM will warranty it when it breaks on you. I just hope you don't get injured by the product failure.
And we're all going to listen to you,because of your qualifications on a road bike forum?I have it and use it routinely without a hitch,but we all have our opinions.I just try not to make generalized,sweeping statements to be provocative.
Old 04-18-14, 01:42 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And we're all going to listen to you,because of your qualifications on a road bike forum?I have it and use it routinely without a hitch,but we all have our opinions.I just try not to make generalized,sweeping statements to be provocative.
I give a damn if you listen, but facts are facts.

Since SRAM released their road component groupsets, I have seen far more SRAM failures than Shimano and Campagnolo combined. In 2010 nearly 70% of the components that were warranty replaced, by the shop I managed, were SRAM. When you take into account that Shimano out sold SRAM by nearly 2-1 in that shop, that is an alarming failure rate.
Old 04-18-14, 01:46 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmbo
Over a 1000 miles on mine and no problems at all.
Wow! Over 1000 miles without a problem.

That's quite a testimony to it's durability.
Old 04-18-14, 01:52 AM
Samfujiabq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give a damn if you listen, but facts are facts.

Since SRAM released their road component groupsets, I have seen far more SRAM failures than Shimano and Campagnolo combined. In 2010 nearly 70% of the components that were warranty replaced, by the shop I managed, were SRAM. When you take into account that Shimano out sold SRAM by nearly 2-1 in that shop, that is an alarming failure rate.
Don't get your panties in a twist,,geeze I have two bikes with DI2 shimano one Ultegra,one DA,so I ride all three.MY OPINION,,I do have the right to have one,,is
I've had no issues with any of them,My red is 2013 so that may be the case,,now go have a glass of wine and relax!
Old 04-18-14, 02:12 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't get your panties in a twist,,geeze I have two bikes with DI2 shimano one Ultegra,one DA,so I ride all three.MY OPINION,,I do have the right to have one,,is
I've had no issues with any of them,My red is 2013 so that may be the case,,now go have a glass of wine and relax!
Maybe you are having a bit of trouble reading the first sentence of my last post. I'm not in the slightest way even remotely upset with you or your opinion.

Most people will never have a problem with their SRAM components, but SRAM components fail far more often than Shimano or Campagnolo. This is a fact.

I'm not a big fan of how their components shift. I think it feels rough/cheap, and it's far too noisy. This is my opinion.

Do you see the difference?
Old 04-18-14, 04:35 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
YMMV...I've had Red and Rival, two bikes each, and have rival on a cross bike. the cross bike groupset really gets abused. I've had no problems. But I baby the stuff, keep it clean, etc. I maintain it.

I've just had no problems since day one. The only shifter I broke was Shimano Ultegra, but that does not mean that Shimano is crap. It just broke.

Sometimes stuff just happens.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 04-18-14 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 04:37 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
254 posts probably means you really are not aware of a few posters that do know what they are talking about, and the one you took on actually does know what he is talking about. So I chuckled at your comments.
Old 04-18-14, 04:40 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
My impression is people buy SRAM for weight savings. Like Apex is lighter than 105? People buy Campagnolo for the supposedly superior feel/shifting. And people buy Shimano for the combination of smooth shifting and reliability. That's just from reading forum posts, reviews and some vids, since I only buy Shimano.

But I have noticed some interesting sentiment about the three. Campagnolo fans are die hard fans. Shimano fans just love the easy maintenance and reliability, read plenty I decided to try ____ but went back to Shimano even though shifted not as smooth, it's just more reliable/easier to maintain etc. But for SRAM? Have not read not much good. It's either raving about how light it is. Or it's laughing, too bad you have SRAM, get something that doesn't break.

I hope SRAM changes their reputation, it's not a nice one to have. Those recalls suck too. Seriously, the only good thing I've read about SRAM is their weight savings. Even on their top of the line, their FD shifting has more horror stories than their competitors. Chain dropping for example. RD shifting just not as smooth. Some even go to say the only good thing about SRAM is their cassette. I dunno, maybe folks who had bad experience are just extremely vocal about SRAM cause it's SO EXPENSIVE and it failed them.

Last edited by zymphad; 04-18-14 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 04:50 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
^^^What I tell customers is that if you buy a bike with pro components, be aware that, indeed, pros use it too. And they don't pay for it and if it does break someone will come along and fix it for free. If you want something that will last "forever" then there are other groupsets that are better for that. Buy the less expensive and more durable groupset and get better wheels.
Most customers want a nice bike they don't have to worry about.
One big thing in Sram's favor is the adjustability of the brifters....for women that is a big feature. Being able to move the shifter and brake handle back without using a shim is a really nice feature.
But I've had SRAM on everything for a number of years without issue. Like I said, it gets maintained. Not sure if that is cause and effect, but I have not had an issue and I do point to the Rival on the cross bike as evidence.
Old 04-18-14, 07:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Just more anecdote here, but hopefully I can provide a little balance to the discussion. I have had four SRAM group sets/partial group sets, two Red and two Rival. I love the shifter action, much preferring the Double-Tap system to the multiple shift levers of Shimano and Campy. I especially dislike the moving brake-shift lever combo of Shimano. I like the SRAM sound, and I like the way all the stuff looks. I admit to also liking the light weights.

Truth be known I have had failures on both the right and left side levers on one set of 2010 Red. The plastic cradle that holds the rear derailleur cable head inside the lever broke on me very early in the use life of a right lever, maybe after no more than 1,500 miles. I was able to kluge it together and continue using the right lever until the left lever just plain gave it up, jammed, wouldn't shift at all. That was at about 5,000 miles. At that point I replaced the pair. Having bought them new but as take-offs from ebay, I had no warranty and had to replace the pair of levers out of my own pocket. I have still ended up spending less so far than buying the first pair from an authorized dealer and having warranty coverage, but just barely. I have to agree that SRAM levers appear to be less durable than the competition. I am not happy about it, but I like the stuff, so there it is.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-18-14, 08:26 AM
Samfujiabq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
254 posts probably means you really are not aware of a few posters that do know what they are talking about, and the one you took on actually does know what he is talking about. So I chuckled at your comments.
Well I'm glad you got a "chuckle",but I'm not trying to"take on" anyone,just allowed to voice my opinion until told not to by the moderators.Ive been riding for 25 years so I'm not a newbie to cycling or running that I've been doing for 43 years,but I've still learned a lot from the forums which I am appreciative of that.And now I have 255 posts.
Old 04-18-14, 08:34 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I'm glad you got a "chuckle",but I'm not trying to"take on" anyone,just allowed to voice my opinion until told not to by the moderators.Ive been riding for 25 years so I'm not a newbie to cycling or running that I've been doing for 43 years,but I've still learned a lot from the forums which I am appreciative of that.And now I have 255 posts.
You are more than welcome to your opinion, just realize, the failure rates bosox sited are pretty universal. I know a number of shop owners that have said failure rates on sram parts far outnumber everything else they sell combined.
Old 04-18-14, 08:46 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you go back and look at your post, the first sentence, the question, is what I am referring to.

It's a symptom of this forum. Because someone has ridden for 25 years somehow they believe they are really knowledgable and in the case of the poster you were communicating with, he (along with a few others of us like Dopolina and PSIMET) and others actually work in the business. His post was accurate.

Enjoy.