Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you wear for 10F-30F weather?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 01:17 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all.

I am new to cycling and was wondering what I would need to wear when the temps are around 10-32 deg. F.

Do you have thermal softshell jacket?

Would this jacket work(Men's SELECT Thermal Barrier Jacket - Pearl Izumi

Thermal underlayer? Short sleeve or long?

When would you use a short sleeve under layer?

tights? Thermal or not?

Do you wear arm/leg covers with shorts and short sleeves? (If not, how low can this be used?)

shoe covers?

Thanks

Frank
Old 01-29-15, 01:26 PM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm somewhat new to cycling and do not ride in winter (Michigan), mostly because the snow and the roads here are garbage due to plows.

But 10-30, to me is too large of a range to have one set of clothes. Also, other folk's advice is helpful, but may not fit your needs. My advice (I used to run through the winters in Michigan).

Get a notebook. Get a decent set of clothing options. Put on what you think might be right, and go for a ride.
When you get back, make notes of what you wore, how far you went, how hot it was when you left and when you got back. Note if you felt too hot or too cold.
Do this for about two weeks. Remember being a little bit cold when you leave is okay, being a little too warm when you're done is also normal. After a handful of rides, you will start to have a good idea what is right for you, and it's very helpful the next year when you don't exactly remember.

For starters you're probably going to need a decent set of tights, compression/base layers shirts, nice thermal jackets and gloves as well as shoe covers. You might need thin wind stopping pants over the tights on windy days and socks tall enough to go over those on the drive side so you don't get them stuck in the cranks.
Old 01-29-15, 01:51 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would wear something lightweight, because it is likely that the heater will be on in whichever building I am riding a trainer or spin bike in.

The real answer is several layers under a jacket with a windproof exterior. Pick the layers you need to be warm by experimenting.
Old 01-29-15, 02:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cycling-specific clothes are exorbitantly overpriced and don't really do a better job than other good options.

I wear layers depending on the conditions - temp, wind, precipitation, etc. That lets me buy less stuff and get more use out of it. It's also a lot more versatile.

Thin merino wool glove liners block enough of the wind, breath well enough not to overheat, give me the dexterity I need, and keep me warm even in the rain. A wool base layer moves the sweat away from my body and keeps me warm in almost any conditions. In the 10 to 30 F range I'll usually wear the base layer, a wool sweater, wind breaker, and a down vest as the outermost layer. (At those temps it's too cold to rain and it almost never snows in the city. Plus it compresses into a stuff sack that fits in my bottle cage when I don't need it.) I have a couple soft shells but none are breathable enough for cycling if I'm riding hard.

Everybody is different and what works for one person is going to be misery for someone else. So you're going to have to take all the answers with a grain of salt and do a lot of experimenting to see what's best for you.
Old 01-29-15, 02:07 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
I would wear something lightweight, because it is likely that the heater will be on in whichever building I am...in
This.

Frankly I wouldn't ride road bike in those conditions anyway. I would ride fatbike, and I would just wear ski gear.
Old 01-29-15, 02:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Hi all.

I am new to cycling and was wondering what I would need to wear when the temps are around 10-32 deg. F.

Do you have thermal softshell jacket?

Would this jacket work(Men's SELECT Thermal Barrier Jacket - Pearl Izumi

Thermal underlayer? Short sleeve or long?

When would you use a short sleeve under layer?

tights? Thermal or not?

Do you wear arm/leg covers with shorts and short sleeves? (If not, how low can this be used?)

shoe covers?

Thanks

Frank
The coldest I've ever ridden in was 25F. On top I wore a polypro baselayer, longsleeved jersey, and an old merino sweater on top of that. I wore a polypro skull cap under my helmet and my snowboarding gloves (with liners) on my hands. On my bottom half I wore tights over bibs, wool sox, and shoe covers. The main thing was my face was really cold so I would wear a balaclava if I had one.

Generally, I will wear regular kit with arm warmers and knee warmers down to about 40F. Below that I need tights and long sleeves.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-29-15, 02:17 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Anything below 50F and I'm wearing my bed! Fortunately for me in South Florida it gets below 50 maybe 3 days a year so I can use the break
Old 01-29-15, 02:23 PM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What do I wear for 10F-30F weather? A pair of sweats, some thick wool socks and a hockey jersey.

While sitting in front of my TV.

No thanks. I'll wait for spring.
Old 01-29-15, 02:31 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bibshorts, thin socks, cycling shoes and a short-sleeved jersey. No helmet, no gloves. After all, I keep my house at 65 and the helmet is sort of silly; it's not like I'm gonna crash on my CycleOps Mag Trainer (And yes, I do wear a Jersey indoors. I don't like the feeling of a sweaty T-Shirt, and I don't like riding au natural up top either. I like having the moisture wicking)

Okay, joking aside (And you heard that one already didn't you?), I guess I have to add to the "no thanks" on that one. But I have ridden down TO 30 in my very short time as a newbie cyclist. With bib-tights, a thermal compression shirt under a long sleeve jersey, gloves, and a skull cap under my helmet that covers my ears. Feet were freezing though, guess I need some overshoes.
Old 01-29-15, 02:38 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
wool, wool and more wool.

20 to 30F - I wear wool socks, tights and knickers, wool base-layer, wool skullcap, and wind-proof shell

10 to 20F - thicker wool socks, warmer tights with knickers, another base-layer and/or a vest

Here are some specific brands I use:

Smartwool skullcap and socks (these socks are for coldest days)

Base-layer top - Patagonia

wind-proof shell - O2 Rain Wear

Less warm tights - Canari (not really a fan of theses)

Warmer tights - Pearl Izumi AmFib (I LOVE these tights!)

Knickers - Chrome

Vest - Much older version of the PI convertible jacket

And Pearl Izumi gloves

Testimonial, I have 400 miles this January in Minneapolis area. Ride temps this month have been as low as -15F.
Old 01-29-15, 03:03 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
My best January in illinois. Got in 237 miles on the road last week looking at 500 for month. Cannot ride in snow and wind at below 30 can a stopper. But here is the jacket Bike Wear Fusion tool soft shell. I bought one the another for my son. Fits tighter than my old gortex running jacket and with a good base thermal top I am good at 20 if no wind. This is the best jacket bar none 140$ get one. Stops the wind breaths but the feet are the problem. Bikr shorts with base layer long pants, then running pants over this. Again if the feet would not go numb I would be ok
Old 01-29-15, 03:03 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I am a big fan of cross training. I run/hike or do yoga and calisthenics below 55F.
Old 01-29-15, 03:42 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i stay home and wear fuzzy slippers, a stocking cap and a quilt.
Old 01-29-15, 04:01 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Layers are your friend. So are the 726 threads on BF about winter bike wear.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-29-15, 04:02 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
I would wear something lightweight, because it is likely that the heater will be on in whichever building I am riding a trainer or spin bike in.
So much this. If it's really cold, just crack the garage door a bit and keep the shirt on.
Old 01-29-15, 04:13 PM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are going to wear tights, do they have a chamois or do you need to wear the mountain bike liner with chamois under them or what?

Not sure I have seen tights with chamois but I really haven't been looking.

What is the preference on them too.
Old 01-29-15, 04:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There are bike-specific tights that have a chamois. The good ones are very expensive and not cost-effective for me. Instead I just wear my normal bib shorts and generic running tights over them. You can find them at any sporting goods store like Dick's, Big 5, Sports Authority, etc. Probably also at Target or Kohl's. No need to spend big bucks.

Just remember to wear the tights over the bibs or mtb liners or what have you, not the other way around. Most tights will have a seam running right down the middle which will abrade your taint. You don't want this.
Old 01-29-15, 05:10 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It stops being fun below 55... However if sunny and no wind I might venture out on a ride. 25 use to be my limit but to me it wasn't fun anymore...
Old 01-29-15, 07:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
It stops being fun below 55... However if sunny and no wind I might venture out on a ride. 25 use to be my limit but to me it wasn't fun anymore...
??? The perfect cycling temperature is 42 degrees. Maybe you should try working a little harder on the bike.
Old 01-29-15, 07:57 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
There are bike-specific tights that have a chamois. The good ones are very expensive and not cost-effective for me. Instead I just wear my normal bib shorts and generic running tights over them. You can find them at any sporting goods store like Dick's, Big 5, Sports Authority, etc. Probably also at Target or Kohl's. No need to spend big bucks.

Just remember to wear the tights over the bibs or mtb liners or what have you, not the other way around. Most tights will have a seam running right down the middle which will abrade your taint. You don't want this.
I've always worn my Under Armor tights under my bibs with no problems. I do wear a pair of nylon underwear under the tights so maybe that helps.
I agree with most though, there are other ways to get a workout in when it's under 30.
Old 01-29-15, 08:02 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Fact. So much fact. Made that mistake once. Never ever again.
Old 01-29-15, 08:09 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heathpack
??? The perfect cycling temperature is 42 degrees. Maybe you should try working a little harder on the bike.
My first serious post and BANG....
Old 01-29-15, 08:45 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
My first serious post and BANG....
i didn't know it was even possible to be wrong about such a thing.
Old 01-29-15, 09:07 PM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what are knickers and when would you wear them? Spring and fall or are they for colder weather too as a replacement for tights?
Old 01-29-15, 10:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Hi all.

Lots of info about this in the Winter Cycling forum: Winter Cycling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.