Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New (to me) bike day!!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New (to me) bike day!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 07:32 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New (to me) bike day!!!!

was searching Craigslist and ran across a 2013 C'Dale Synapse Carbon 4 with Ultegra pedals, bottle cage, and a tail light. spoke with the owner's wife, said she had bought it for her hubby to complete his last century ride (he was diagnosed with parkinsons, I felt bad as my dad recently was diagnosed also) but was unable to do make the try so the bike sat for about a year, appears to be perfectly functional and pretty darn clean, so after a quick negotiation I made an offer at $1000, which they accepted.

after much deliberating and then a bit of schmoozing the wife (and promises not to upgrade anything for at least one year) I made the long drive to go pick it up. Bike was in excellent condition, only down side was that the previous owner had put bright Red Vittoria trainer tires one both wheels. ACK!!! has red bar tape also but I can live with that...... Pics forthcoming

one question, how serviceable are the trainer tires on the road? not ideal, but I made the agreement with the wife and I'll honor it since she allowed me to get the bike. Now off to sell the GT
Old 03-10-15, 07:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I am confident that the tires are fine for now.

Congrats on the bike.
Old 03-10-15, 07:54 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I guarantee you that the guy's wife does not care if you change the tires on your new bike.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-10-15, 08:07 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I guarantee you that the guy's wife does not care if you change the tires on your new bike.
She extracted a promise not to upgrade anything for a year? Who cares!

Anyway, tires are a wear item... replacing consumables isn't an upgrade, it's maintenance.
Old 03-10-15, 08:14 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for clarification, it was MY wife who said no upgrades.
Old 03-10-15, 08:22 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
Well if they're trainer tires they're not appropriate for road riding so are a necessary replacement (not an upgrade).
Old 03-10-15, 08:30 AM
greenlight149

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Say it's for safety, it justifies everything.
Old 03-10-15, 08:31 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Well if they're trainer tires they're not appropriate for road riding so are a necessary replacement (not an upgrade).
ya, she doesn't see it that way.

best I can hope for is that they cut down while I'm out riding and I have to do a "repair"

which could somehow be arranged
Old 03-10-15, 08:32 AM
RALPHFELT

Bikes: 2015 Pinarello Marvel,2011 FELT AR5 , 2011 PINARELLO FP3, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He made a promise to HIS wife that he would not change anything.

Congrats on the new ride, tires are fine. Ride the heck out of it.
Old 03-10-15, 08:32 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

best I can hope for is that they cut down while I'm out riding and I have to do a "repair"

Or, you know, explain to her that riding on inappropriate tires could lead to your death. Or maybe she's OK with that.
Old 03-10-15, 08:40 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or, you know, explain to her that riding on inappropriate tires could lead to your death. Or maybe she's OK with that.
we laugh about this kinda stuff, I tease her that I don't have a big enough life insurance policy for her to delay the 911 call. I love her very much and we have way to much fun and laughter together. my one complaint with her is things like this. she doesn't get why I didn't want to buy a used GMC Denali. she doesn't get why a $75 craigslist strat wasn't 'good enough'. she has no idea why I insist on good quality shoes when I can just "grab some from walmart/payless for $15". insufferably cheap sometimes
Old 03-10-15, 08:53 AM
dr_lha

we laugh about this kinda stuff, I tease her that I don't have a big enough life insurance policy for her to delay the 911 call. I love her very much and we have way to much fun and laughter together. my one complaint with her is things like this. she doesn't get why I didn't want to buy a used GMC Denali. she doesn't get why a $75 craigslist strat wasn't 'good enough'. she has no idea why I insist on good quality shoes when I can just "grab some from walmart/payless for $15". insufferably cheap sometimes
"Insufferably cheap" and "Cyclist husband" are not a good combination. My advice, buy the tires, you need them.
Old 03-10-15, 09:02 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

your wife is wrong.
Old 03-10-15, 09:07 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Insufferably cheap" and "Cyclist husband" are not a good combination. My advice, buy the tires, you need them.
to be fair, for her it's not that I'm a cyclist, its that I HATE buying cheap stuff just to 'get by'. as I keep telling her, I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. she's slowly getting better, but it has been a painful process.
Old 03-10-15, 09:08 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
your wife is wrong.
not an argument I'm going to make though LOL
Old 03-10-15, 09:10 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well that changes everything!
Old 03-10-15, 09:12 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ this. I don't believe the trainer tires have any type of flat protection. So unless she wants you to spend a small fortune on tubes, she should just let you replace the tires. Tires are not expensive, but are rather important.
Old 03-10-15, 09:14 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K.Katso
^ this. I don't believe the trainer tires have any type of flat protection. So unless she wants you to spend a small fortune on tubes, she should just let you replace the tires. Tires are not expensive, but are rather important.
you are suggesting I use Logic and Reason in an argument with a woman???

seriously??
Old 03-10-15, 09:17 AM
dr_lha

you are suggesting I use Logic and Reason in an argument with a woman???

seriously??
Here's my play: When logic and reason fail, just do whatever the f*ck you want to do and just prepare to catch the flack for it.
Old 03-10-15, 09:30 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great pics op
Old 03-10-15, 09:35 AM
bonz50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my play: When logic and reason fail, just do whatever the f*ck you want to do and just prepare to catch the flack for it.
ya, well, the problem with that is that I've played that card a few to many times over the past 17yrs of our marriage. LOL

took me a while to figure out that "do whatever you wanna do" really doesn't mean to do whatever you wanna do
Old 03-10-15, 09:39 AM
dr_lha

ya, well, the problem with that is that I've played that card a few to many times over the past 17yrs of our marriage. LOL

took me a while to figure out that "do whatever you wanna do" really doesn't mean to do whatever you wanna do
Well, you need the tires, otherwise the bike is a wasted purchase. Online you can pick up a pair of passable road tires for <$50 if you shop around.
Old 03-10-15, 09:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
This. I have that tire. It's heavy, no flat protection, super thick, hard to get on and off, and specifically says "not for use on the road" on the sidewall. I wouldn't try it. Replace them. Can probably get some take-off Vittoria Rubino Pros cheap.
Old 03-10-15, 09:51 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

one question, how serviceable are the trainer tires on the road? not ideal, but I made the agreement with the wife and I'll honor it since she allowed me to get the bike. Now off to sell the GT
Congrats on the new bike purchase. That is really exciting for you. Just curious though, what GT are you selling?
I really love my old GT's that I have had since the early 1990's. I recently bought a new Giant 29er and entertained the idea of selling my old GT mtb. I just could not do it. I love the old Triple Triangle. I took off the shock and put the original fork back on it. I then put on road tires and a new stem and handlbars and it is not the perfect hybrid to tool around on. I still have the original parts and will convert it back to a mtb when my son is old enough for a 26". If you have one of the old GT's from the Gary Turner era I hope that you find a way to keep it. They were great bikes. I do confess to buying a new GT hybrid about 3 years ago. I did sell that bike when I bought the new 29er. It was a good bike but I had no affinity for the brand after the Dorel/Pacifica nonsense ruined the brand.
Regardless, I hope that you enjoy riding your new bike.
Old 03-10-15, 09:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy. Your best recourse is to plead ignorance about the tires. "I got taken!"

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.