Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which 50+rs rode today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which 50+rs rode today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 08:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blandin
I rode 27 miles on Saturday and again on Sunday. Beautiful weather with temperatures in the mid-70's. I averaged in the mid 19's mph on both rides.
Please don't rub it in!

From snowy and cold Denver, CO.

Hey, it is supposed to be 67F by Thursday.
Old 05-01-05, 08:20 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry DnvrFox! I used to live in the Midwest and the Northeast, ever since I regained a level of sanity and moved to CA, I'm happy to say that a snowblower is now a theoretical device and that snow itself is a voluntary day trip!
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 05-01-05, 08:35 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
49 miles, avg 19.5 mph (no wind today)
Old 05-01-05, 08:36 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, sure. 130 miles yesterday; 72 today.
Old 05-08-05, 02:03 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride in more than a week - One hour's worth at a 15 mph average. The wind was really strong from the northwest; it actually pushed me off my line quite a bit when I was riding into it - no small feat with me registering in at 230 pounds. It was a crosswind that caught me both from southwest and northeast, so it was a struggle going and coming back. The worst was riding southwest.
Old 05-08-05, 03:43 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got up at 530 this Am. walked the dog, packed a lunch, had something to eat, got the bike out side and headed north on A1A towards Palm Beach. A typically spectacular So Florida May morning, cool, no breeze off the ocean, lite traffic. The weather here from end of October to end of May is perfect for riding, the terrain may be dull as dishwater though
Met the first other rider at the Hillsborough bridge.........nasty little Narrow 2 lane bridge, no lane and no shoulder
Spent the day riding around Palm Beach.Think Brentwood, Bel -Air,but RICHER, but no Getty Ctr; headed back about 1230, traffic heavier. much warmer. LOttsa riders out then.
Old 05-08-05, 04:11 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wife and I celebrated Mother's Day with a brunch with our son and daughter-in-law, and then went for a ride on the Highline Canal. Very capricious winds seemd that you always had a headwind. I was riding my slow, big-tired mountain bike, and with the wind, it seemed like about a 25 mile ride, but only 15 registered on the odometer. Hmmm? Wonder how that works.
Old 05-08-05, 04:15 PM
pauncho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just back from TOSRV (OK, 3/4 of TOSRV, 160 miles in one weekend is all I have in me!)
Old 05-08-05, 04:45 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shifty
49 miles, avg 19.5 mph (no wind today)
Wow! If you're on drugs, I want 'em.
Old 05-08-05, 06:54 PM
acemtbiker
just here

Bikes: Raleigh and Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 40 miles today,all back dirt roads,very hilly,on my MTBike. Beautiful day here in Michigan.
Old 05-09-05, 05:01 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daily after work one hour's ride @ 15 mph average. Nice day to ride - high 70s, low humidity, light wind in the face on the way out, on the back heading home. I'm afraid I'm getting in a ride route rut - same ride every day. Not boring but I think my system will adjust to this ride, and when I bust a new ride, it'll be like I haven't got any miles on me at all. Time to mix it up...
Old 05-10-05, 09:29 AM
bigberg50

Bikes: Cannondale, R500, R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17 miles Monday night; some wind but the sun was out so all was right with the world.
Old 05-10-05, 07:14 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I got the ride rut busted tonight - I broke out my hardtail and went bangin' around on the rocks and roots for an hour. Man, I kind of forgot what a teeth rattling experience an aluminum hardtail can provide...BUT, the climbs were the easiest I can remember, what with all the road riding I've been doing. It was a great change of pace - literally and figuratively. No computer on the mt. bike - Just ride and have fun, no constant checking of numbers. I'd have probably wrecked anyway if I was constantly peeking at a computer on my knobby...
Old 05-12-05, 05:52 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride - Had to mow the grass }:<
Old 05-13-05, 12:53 PM
dogbro

Bikes: 2 Cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yow! Rode (commuted) every day this week. My wife even did 3 out of 5!
Going to Raton tonight. Gonna ride in Denver tomorrow morning. Highlands Ranch to Lakewood. I'll be wearing my NM state flag jersey and dropping all of you lamers off the c470 trail.
Old 05-17-05, 11:46 AM
berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commute to work - 70 km in desert landscape past bedouin camps, camels, goats, sheep and some truck traffic, fog and great scenery - had a great time. time:2h 20min
Old 05-17-05, 02:15 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Disaster!! The cafe we frequent on our rides has changed hands and the breakfast was not up to standard. Got out on the Tandem for some aggressive XC. Still slow up hills but pulled 2 gears higher with the same cadence, Pushed on the flatter bits, so speed was well up, and Pilot proved that he has not lost confidence on the downhills, although he had me worried a few times so I may have. Only 28 miles but a Hard 28 miles.
Old 05-21-05, 05:59 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not enough riding - My tuba playing commitments call...
Old 05-21-05, 06:40 AM
dp126au
Slowrider

Bikes: KHS Flite 700, Avanti Ventura, Giant CRX 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YEP, 25 miles, beautiful orning, sunny, 20 deg c no wind and no cars great ride.
Old 05-21-05, 06:47 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
52 mi from NJ into PA with beautiful weather. Some big hills in PA, always hills around Delaware River valley. Avgd. about 16 mph on what was supposed to be a B+ ride. They're actually A rides with the faster guys waiting at tops of major climbs. Same thing last Saturday on a 68 mi ride. Wore my new Shimano carbon shoes for the first time - wow! I love the power transfer. Just slight rubbing on outer edges of toes - will adjust cleat angle slightly and see if that helps. Will ride a 40 mi recovery ride tomorrow at a pace slow enough to look at scenery.
Old 05-21-05, 10:06 PM
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 miler this morning into the breeze here in Central CA. Could see both the Sierras and the Diablos on either side of our Valley. Things went well until the tallow truck went by in a cloud of....can't describe it but I was rubbing my nose for half a mile. I've found that moist packaged prunes (manufacturer prefers we call them "dried plums" carry along, work well, and aren't as noxious as frosting like gels.

P.S. I've been mostly a lurker here, nice to "come out".
David.
Old 05-21-05, 10:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
On 5-20, completed the Assault on Mt Mitchell. 118 miles with 12,000+ feet of climbing. Weather was not very cycling like with lots of rain for the first 80 miles. My time was not what I was looking for but I finished! Most miles I've logged in one day.
Old 05-22-05, 12:00 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
jppe - Congrats man! I consider a lot of climbing 5-6 K, but 12K+ - whoa! When I read about the Assault, the total ascent looked way too much to even consider. Glad to hear you completed it! It's been 30 yrs. since I've done 100 mi plus, and think I'm in shape to do it again - but not with anywhere near the climbing you did. If I keep progessing over the next year, I'd like to try the Assault. I love that area. For now though, I'm going to settle for a few spins around Tsali in August. Once again, congratulations!
Old 05-25-05, 07:14 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a novice compared to the rest of you folks.

I'm 55, overweight and out of shape. I just started riding again seriously (well, for me) a week ago.

When I started, my weight was at 269lbs (I'm 6' tall). That's way obese.

I had gotten used to eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. No can do.

In the past 10 days or so I have lost 5 lbs, riding 10-20 miles a day several times a week. For instance, this morning I got up real early and left the house at 3:30AM on my bike. I rode 10 miles (from my place out to the SF Fishermans' Wharf area and back home). I probably average 10-11MPH right now. Pretty slow.

But I'm wearing a HRM (Garmin Forerunner 301) and am trying to keep my HR in a reasonable place (zone 2 & 3). It'd be a snorer for most of you, but for me it's a workout. Last weekend on Saturday and Sunday I doubled the distance and rode out to Fort Point (at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge) and back home.

I'm trying to eat sensibly too. I did this same thing about five years ago and lost 45lbs in 6 months, and honestly I felt the best I have ever felt in my life.

Then winter came, and the rains, and I slacked off on the riding, but continued to eat... more and more, and cycling less and less until I finally sold all my bikes and flat quit.

So, I'm back on the path again and enjoying it. It's a long slow path for me, but by the time I quit last time I was able to do 75 mile days on a 90# loaded touring bike, and I want to be able to do that again.

So I'm going to keep riding, keep extending my speed and distance a little at a time. Anything I do is better than sitting on my ass and eating a lot, so I think it's a good plan.
Old 05-26-05, 11:32 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks Terex!! Just four years ago I was helping my brother on the Assault and other centuries and really thought those folks were nuts. Funny how I started riding afterwards in my late 40's (loved to ride as a kid) and found that same spark that had been dormant for 40+ years. Somehow it gets in your blood and you find yourself doing more that you ever imagined.

I was really happy to finish this one but am still kicking myself for caving in the last 30 miles. However, your note is a good reminder that just a few years ago I could not have even done 20 miles of it.

Hey Old Geezer in Training in SF--great weather is here and your bike is begging you to take it out!! Enjoy the time in the saddle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.