Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

man on bike gunned down

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

man on bike gunned down

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 08:48 AM
dogbro

Bikes: 2 Cannondales

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man on bike gunned down

ALBUQUERQUE -- There was a sudden eruption of violence in the heart of downtown Albuquerque in broad daylight on Tuesday. A man on his bike was gunned down and then robbed by another person as he lay bleeding outside the convention center.
Albuquerque Police say the victim was riding his bike along 1st Street near Tijeras just before 2 p.m.. Police say a turquoise colored compact car pulled up, someone got out and shot the man on the bike.

The shooter then got back in the car and left.

The bicyclist, who may have been shot more than once, was lying in the street when someone else walked up and stole his bike.

"Some people are saying that a lot of people who are homeless are known to hang out in this area,” says APD Trish Hoffman. “But we don't know if that's who it was, we haven't been able to confirm that by talking with him yet."

Police have not released the man's identity and have not yet had a chance to speak to him because he was rushed to the hospital.

Apparently no one got the car's license plate, but the man who pulled the trigger is described as being in his 20’s with a dark complexion.
Old 10-12-05, 08:51 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key is... what is the background of the cyclist? Innocent victim or rival gang member?

Just because his vehicle was a bike... doesn't meant squat.
Old 10-16-05, 05:58 AM
rgilmore

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist a couple of weeks ago. I was flying down a one way street when this goof with hip length dreads is doing slow "S's" across two lanes, not paying attention to anything. I am trying to ride past him on the left and he does a turn and heads right in front of me. I say "whoa, whoa, whoa" and he moves over and I go past. Two blocks later I am stopped at a light, it turns green and he comes up to me and asks "You got a problem?" I say no and keep going, but he keeps riding alongside, telling me what he's going to do to me.

I park my bike and tell him to bring it on. He sees that I am not a fat guy on a bike like he thought I was but a life long gym rat and all of a sudden he doesn't want to get physical with me but promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me. I told him where to find me, but I've only seen him one time since (while I was driving).

Bad guys ride bikes too.
Old 10-16-05, 02:13 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see those idiots all the time....i worry about them more crashing into me than anything else.
Old 10-16-05, 05:32 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think I need a bit more info before I can really care.
Old 10-16-05, 08:49 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes dont kill people, Charelton Heston does. (did?) If you do a seach on bicycle in the news, you'd find a that a number of crimes commited on bikes. In this case someone in a car shot the cyclist. Sounds like something outa "cops". I never have problems of this sort. But it could happen. Find any crack layin around?
Old 10-17-05, 06:00 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rgilmore
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist

promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me.
That's a great argument for having a camera phone. Taking his picture and reporting the assault (or just having his picture in case something happens) would be nice.
Old 10-17-05, 01:36 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgilmore
I got threatened by a fellow cyclist a couple of weeks ago. I was flying down a one way street when this goof with hip length dreads is doing slow "S's" across two lanes, not paying attention to anything. I am trying to ride past him on the left and he does a turn and heads right in front of me. I say "whoa, whoa, whoa" and he moves over and I go past. Two blocks later I am stopped at a light, it turns green and he comes up to me and asks "You got a problem?" I say no and keep going, but he keeps riding alongside, telling me what he's going to do to me.

I park my bike and tell him to bring it on. He sees that I am not a fat guy on a bike like he thought I was but a life long gym rat and all of a sudden he doesn't want to get physical with me but promises to "...put a bullet in me". He threatened to return the next day and shoot me. I told him where to find me, but I've only seen him one time since (while I was driving).

Bad guys ride bikes too.
Should have grabbed those dreads while he was riding and put him down, that would have been funny!
Old 10-17-05, 03:00 PM
doglhunt
barkin' at the moon

Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
Bikes dont kill people, Charelton Heston does. (did?) If you do a seach on bicycle in the news, you'd find a that a number of crimes commited on bikes. In this case someone in a car shot the cyclist. Sounds like something outa "cops". I never have problems of this sort. But it could happen. Find any crack layin around?
What does Charlton Heston have to do with this?
Old 10-17-05, 03:41 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doglhunt
What does Charlton Heston have to do with this?
He brought the commandments down from the mountain.
Old 10-17-05, 06:02 PM
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd

Just because his vehicle was a bike... doesn't meant squat.
does if he was one of those types that go around yelling and getting agro towards cars, could be a case of someones' mouth writing a check that their behind couldn't cash...

i say this a week after watching 2 cars go at it while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. i watched as these "tough listening to hip hop suburban types" exchanging words with a couple of not so "suburban from the hood types" for a couple miles before i stopped, giving them extra room, just as one of the hood types got out of their car, walked to the trunk. i guess the suburban types must of thought he was changing cds in a trunk mounted cd player, cause they sat right there and waited for this cat to open up...